I have a pair of XFX 6950 2GB cards. I can't recall if I ever used the stock heatsinks on these originally. I took them off and put water blocks on both and had used them for a while.
I've now decided to retire my water cooling setup. So I installed the stock heatsinks again. But I noticed one of them the GPU doesn't make contact with the heatsink and so gets really high load temps (I have to abort a Furmark test after about 5 seconds as it rockets past 95C).
When I take the heatsink off, I can see there is almost no thermal paste on the heatsink.
I swapped this heatsink onto the other 6950 that is working great. And again on that other card it doesn't make contact. So the problem isn't the card or anything on the card, but something with the heatsink.
I'm guessing the heatsink is defective. I doubt I did anything, so it might have been a pre-existing issue, since I don't know if I ever used the stock heatsink before. But I suspect XFX probably won't cover something like this since those warranty stickers were violated when I removed the heatsink originally (but I've emailed them about it anyway).
Anyone see anything like this with the 6950 heatsink, Any thoughts on what might be going on? Or any recommendations on how to replace this that won't be too expensive?
I've now decided to retire my water cooling setup. So I installed the stock heatsinks again. But I noticed one of them the GPU doesn't make contact with the heatsink and so gets really high load temps (I have to abort a Furmark test after about 5 seconds as it rockets past 95C).
When I take the heatsink off, I can see there is almost no thermal paste on the heatsink.
I swapped this heatsink onto the other 6950 that is working great. And again on that other card it doesn't make contact. So the problem isn't the card or anything on the card, but something with the heatsink.
I'm guessing the heatsink is defective. I doubt I did anything, so it might have been a pre-existing issue, since I don't know if I ever used the stock heatsink before. But I suspect XFX probably won't cover something like this since those warranty stickers were violated when I removed the heatsink originally (but I've emailed them about it anyway).
Anyone see anything like this with the 6950 heatsink, Any thoughts on what might be going on? Or any recommendations on how to replace this that won't be too expensive?