• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Stock Fans Ok?

Stimz

Limp Gawd
Joined
Sep 13, 2007
Messages
174
I'm upgrading a friends computer for Christmas and was wondering if the stock Dell fans would be acceptable for the upgrades I'm doing.

She has a Dell 530s (Slimline). I'm going to install a new psu, E8400 and a 9800gt. She had a E2140 and integrated video before.

Will the stock fans be able to keep the case cool enough or should I replace them? If so what would you recommend? Thanks ;)
 
Hmm.. lots more heat generated by that setup. First, is your PSU up to the task? Second, are you comfortable modding a hole on this for another intake or exhaust fan? There is no reason the case can't be made to be cool enough for what you are doing, but it might take some work. Just replacing the fan might make a difference but I doubt enough to do the job.

I modded my sisters Dell (not a slimline) by drilling a hole in the side panel and installing an intake fan above the video card. There was enough airflow going out the empty expansion slots that it kept the case cool enough.
 
It all depends on the ambient temps in the room and all of what she does with the PC, If she is gaming (or loading the CPU and GPU at the same time), it's going to get a bit toasty in there with a single 80mm fan it has if I am remembering right. But that is not to say it can't keep it cool, I am assuming no OCing will be going on since you will still be running the OEM mobo right? I think it might make it, but it will run warmer than before that's for sure. I would go ahead and pick up an 80mm S-flex or Kama-flex fan just to get the most out of the cooling that's there.
 
The PSU should be fine. Stock mobo so no OCing. She will be doing some gaming. (Sims 3 and other rpgs) I could mod the case if need be. I'll replace the fan and check if temps to see if I would need to add another fan. What temps should I aim to be under?
 
Use a prog to load both the GPU and CPU at the same time, such as OCCT's PSU test. The E8400 has a TjMax of 100C, so I would want to keep it around 80C, but that's just me, running it all the way to TjMax will not hurt it, but being that close if the case is not kept clean might end up hitting TjMax and throttling the CPU.
 
Back
Top