• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Stock Dual Xeon points

[H]ecklerKoc[H]

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - November 2010
Joined
Sep 1, 2010
Messages
309
Had a chance to "burn in" some new hardware over the weekend. For anyone wondering What a Dell 710 server with Dual Xeon x5680 CPUs running at stock clock 3.33 GHz can do here it is.
Native Windows 2008 Server x64 Standard without HyperV
Current Fah Console SMP Client
SMP -22
P2684
TPF 23:29
Dell_PE_710_Dual_x5680_24GB_smp-22.jpg


Too bad these systems cannot be overclocked like an EVGA motherboard.

[SIZE="-10"].[/SIZE]
HKHKHKHKHKHKHKHKHKHKHKHKHKHKHKHKHKHKHKHKHKHKHKHKHKHKHKHKHKHK​


[SIZE="-10"].[/SIZE]
 
Last edited:
What does one of those go for? Like 10 grand or something?

lol nah more like the 5k range.. processors are 1800 each..


nice setup.. if its doing 53k PPD on a 2684 it should break into the 70k PPD range on the 2686 WU id bet..
 
3.466GHz with turbo. I'll bet it would push 100K ppd with -smp 24 and a 2686 or 2692. My SR-2 at 3.564 only does 110K ppd, and this thing isn't much slower.
 
3.466GHz with turbo. I'll bet it would push 100K ppd with -smp 24 and a 2686 or 2692. My SR-2 at 3.564 only does 110K ppd, and this thing isn't much slower.

So you found smp -24 to be workable to gain more points over smp -22? One of the next tests was a maybe trying an smp -24. But now I think I will check the box at 8PM and do the swap.
 
[H]ecklerKoc[H];1036197109 said:
So you found smp -24 to be workable to gain more points over smp -22? One of the next tests was a maybe trying an smp -24. But now I think I will check the box at 8PM and do the swap.

Well, I guess I can't really answer that as I have never run anything but -smp 24. I can tell you that I beat your frame times on this machine by 4+ minutes on a 2684, and I shouldn't be based on your clock speed versus mine. My memory is running a lot faster than yours and I am running 100 MHz faster, but that shouldn't equate to 4+ minutes I wouldn't think. If I had a 2684, I'd back mine down to see what my frame times are at 3.47. Unfortunately (well, fortunately for me), my machine currently has a 2686.
 
HK just curious but why did you choose to run SMP22 vs 23, 24?
I have always wondered if there is some magic number. I saw a guy on FF that had a 64 core system but he got the best TPFs running -smp 53....seems weird
 
HK just curious but why did you choose to run SMP22 vs 23, 24?
I have always wondered if there is some magic number. I saw a guy on FF that had a 64 core system but he got the best TPFs running -smp 53....seems weird

23 is a prime which has been indicated to avoid on the current client. Considered 24 but wanted to leave some system resources free for the first test so used.

I assume you were reading this thread?
linux SMP not using resources fully: "http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=12539&start=60"
 
lol nah more like the 5k range.. processors are 1800 each..


nice setup.. if its doing 53k PPD on a 2684 it should break into the 70k PPD range on the 2686 WU id bet..

$5K for a Dell dual cpu server? Uhmmm, dont think so. We are not talking about DIY here.
 
Just to put this to rest, I ran some actual numbers on my machine:

Dual L5640s @ 3564, 12 Gb memory @ 1584 triple channel
P2686 (Run 3, Clone 19, Gen 15)
-smp 24 - 14:34/frame ~110K ppd
-smp 23 - 14:58/frame ~107K ppd
-smp 22 - 15:03/frame ~105.5K ppd

So -smp 24 is by far the best configuration. The difference between -smp 23 and -smp 22 is minimal, but at these speeds, the ppd difference more than you would expect.
 
Last edited:
at those speeds he'd get over 70k, thats 4k ppd higher than skynet gets on that unit and it would be a larger gap with the bonus at 86 speeds
 
[H]ecklerKoc[H];1036197493 said:
23 is a prime which has been indicated to avoid on the current client. Considered 24 but wanted to leave some system resources free for the first test so used.

I assume you were reading this thread?
linux SMP not using resources fully: "http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=12539&start=60"
Win A3 SMP might have different performance and different scaling results. I'd test all combinations over -smp 22 if it's convenient for you at work. Hope you can find the sweet spot for these rigs.
 
Back
Top