• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Stock cpu fans and overclocking

YoMoma

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jun 21, 2005
Messages
201
I have purchaced but not yet recieved a mobo/cpu/ram bundle. The cpu is an Intel Q6600 Quad core rated @ 2.6 Mhz.
My mobo will be an Asus P5Q Pro.
My question is, can I overclock this cpu up to 3.0 Mhz with the stock cpu fan and have it run stable?
 
You should be able to go to 3.0, Just watch the CPU temps. The stock fan are not that good when use on a overclocked CPU. I would recommend that you get a aftermarket heatsink and fan as soon as possible. They are not that much money and work alot better.
 
Possibly. Really depends on your case airflow and how good of a CPU you get.

I'd say you have a 50/50 shot at hitting 3Ghz on the stock cooler. If you get a decent chip and don't have to overvolt anything temps should be acceptable, just nothing to write home about.
 
I`ll go the route of an aftermarket cpu cooler to be safe. I`ve only bought one, and it was for a socket 939 board and took about an hour to install it just to find out the Northbridge/Southbridge heatsink was slightly in the way but just enough that it was a lost cause. Went back to the stock cooler in that scenerio, but that was adequate because I had never overclocked that pc.
 
Nitpick mode: Didn't know the Q6600 came in a 2.6 Mhz flavour. Or did you mean MHz?

Or perhaps, GHz?

Unnitpick mode: You're better off getting an aftermarket cooler if you're looking for meaningful speed increases.
 
Busted by Nitpick mode. Your right Leman. After double checking my order I found that it is a 2.4 GHz chip. And I also did miss that it doesnt come with a cpu fan at all. So I better get to looking online for an aftermarket fan.
Any fan suggestions for an 775 socket board? Maybe something not over $40 to $50.
 
I can't say anything about overclocking on a quad with the stock cooler, but i personally use the stock C2D from my e4500 to hold a 3.2ghz overclock. Lapped and polished i maintain good temps compared to the shitty Golden Orb cooler i was using before.

Honestly you can go wrong with one of the cheap Artic freezer or xigmatech coolers that are only 20-30 bucks and do a fine job.
 
Arctic freezer and the xigmatech are both good coolers,just make sure they fit in your case.
 
The arctic cooling freezer 7 pro (like 25 dollars) can help you get that to at least 3.2 with loads in the 50's (even with a VID of 1.325: I have the same CPU and mobo as you)
 
The arctic cooling freezer 7 pro (like 25 dollars) can help you get that to at least 3.2 with loads in the 50's (even with a VID of 1.325: I have the same CPU and mobo as you)

Ok, another question. I`ve only tried to install an aftermarket cpu cooler once. And this one had metal brackets to clamp the cooler down.
How is this one installed? Push pins? I have no experience with push pins. Although on other coolers I`ve seen some say to install the cooler with the mobo still out of the case. With the Arctic cooling freezer 7 pro, will I need to install it with the mobo out of the case?
 
You didn't have to remove the mobo for the 939 version but I'm not sure about 775.
 
I installed mine before I put the mobo in the case, so I'm not sure. I don't think you have to though, as they are just push-pins. Just make sure not to torque your mobo by pushing too hard.
 
Stock isn't terrible. I did a 50% overclock (2.0ghz->3.0ghz) on stock cooling for my e2180. I got the Xigmatek cooler for it since it was only $15 at Microcenter though. Helped me get to 3.2
 
Back
Top