Stock coolers for i7 = Whoa!

Proxy

Pumpkin Ghost
So I got around to getting my CPU installed on my P6T. Now is it just me or did Intel get it right this time with the stock coolers!? I remember building all of my friends PC's with the C2D's, it was almost impossible to get the stock cooler strapped down to the board!!:mad: However, it was the polar-opposite with my i7. It went in so easy I had to pull it off again just to make sure it made contact with the CPU! I really like the new coolers, even though I plan on replacing my stock cooler once more i7 coolers start rolling out.

They seem to have figured it out this time. I noticed the same thing when I installed mine a few weeks ago. It couldn't have been easier.

stock is good enough, at least won't let your processor burn out or over heat.

tray coolers really bad aluminium or component... very bad.

Yeah, I like the new stock coolers, granted I remove the thermal compound that comes on them and replace it with AS5. I can't wait to get this system built!:D:D:D This is coming from an X2 4400+!

That's cool (no pun intended). Normally, I still go with the best available aftermarket HSF even though I've rarely been an overclocker.

I think going that route has contributed to the 5+ years of longevity I'm getting out of my system builds.

That's nice to hear, my E6600 fan was hell to install.

I've never had trouble with the stock core2duo coolers, but I read a review on Newegg and didn't follow the Intel instructions, I followed the review's directions, which were to lock the pins down and then insert them in an X pattern, I did the same with my Xigmatek because it has the push pins also...

System is finally done and running. Can anyone point my in the direction of a program to use for monitoring CPU temps? Does the new CoreTemp work with i7? Thanks.

ive come to a simikar conclusion....with core 2 coolers. i think they get a bad wrap because ppl dont turn the pins to the right position before pushing them in. removal£einstall is a breeze as well.

thats not to say theyre the greatest coolers though...and dunno how i7 ones stack up. but installs are a breeze at least

I've never had trouble with the stock core2duo coolers, but I read a review on Newegg and didn't follow the Intel instructions, I followed the review's directions, which were to lock the pins down and then insert them in an X pattern, I did the same with my Xigmatek because it has the push pins also...

Same here. It was a little tricky to get the pins pushed all the way down, but overall it wasn't too bad. Not anywhere near as bad as the rediculous tension bar on the Zalman 9500...Jesus, I hated that thing.

The first time I put in one of the coolers for the 775 quads it sucked, but thats because I was doing it wrong. It wasnt to bad the next few times... I just bought an artic cooler 64 for my next build, hopefully it wont be to bad

The stock i7 cooler was easy to install, but I was getting temps over 85 under full load. My thermaltake 120 ultra wasn't too bad to install, and keeps my i7 in the 60's after a few hours of prime95.

The stock i7 cooler was easy to install, but I was getting temps over 85 under full load. My thermaltake 120 ultra wasn't too bad to install, and keeps my i7 in the 60's after a few hours of prime95.

Thermaltake 120 ultra? :D

So what kind of max overclocks have you guys been able to get just on the Intel stock cooler for the i7? How high volts have you tried and what temps do you get??

Yeah i am running 3.2 Ghz as well. Never monitored my temp but did not have to bump up core voltage and so far so good!

Would it be a problem running BOINC 24/7 on an i7 920 (HT on) at stock speed with the stock cooler?

I don't understand why people have issues with the c2d coolers. You just make sure that you have them twisted into the open setting, then push the pin until it clicks. Its not hard unless you are retarded and don't use standoffs.

Back