Still turn off Cool and Quiet?

stealthy123

2[H]4U
I do it out of habit, but I guess I forgot and have been running my pc for a couple of weeks now with it on.

It seems pretty great actually. My cpu ramps up to 4.2ghz when I need it, otherwise it's running at around 1ghz and the voltage goes way down.

No instability, no problems at all actually.

So, did it improve or what?

I use it. Why not? Saves alot of watts on the electric bill.

C&Q on I get 136-180 watts drawn from surfing the internet.

C&Q Off it's bouncing between 163-201 on my Kill-A-Watt.

Way nicer lows being pulled with C&Q on, no stability issues.

Its worth using in most situations, however beches perform marginally better with it disabled.

cnq has progressed from what it first was to what it is now.
so yes, using it wouldn't harm a perfect overclock nowadays.

I did a search for Cool and Quiet because it doesn't seem to work properly for me. I noticed that while playing CSS my frames were dropping to ~30 fps, even though my system is more than capable. After disabling a bunch of eye candy in the graphics properties and not getting any improvement, I figured it had to be the CPU. I went into the BIOS and turned off CnQ and now my frames are back up where they should be.

CnQ was throttling my Phenom 955 down to 800mhz instead of using 3.2ghz during games. This is kind of annoying because I don't need 3.2ghz all the time, but I obviously need more than 800mhz for CSS. Maybe it's something in how CSS queries the processors.

Any ideas? This is on an MSI 870A-G54 (AMD 870 chipset) mobo, Phenom II 955, and GTX460.

I did a search for Cool and Quiet because it doesn't seem to work properly for me. I noticed that while playing CSS my frames were dropping to ~30 fps, even though my system is more than capable. After disabling a bunch of eye candy in the graphics properties and not getting any improvement, I figured it had to be the CPU. I went into the BIOS and turned off CnQ and now my frames are back up where they should be.

CnQ was throttling my Phenom 955 down to 800mhz instead of using 3.2ghz during games. This is kind of annoying because I don't need 3.2ghz all the time, but I obviously need more than 800mhz for CSS. Maybe it's something in how CSS queries the processors.

Any ideas? This is on an MSI 870A-G54 (AMD 870 chipset) mobo, Phenom II 955, and GTX460.
Have you gone into Control Panel and changed your Power Management setting to High Performance?

mines currently turned off. With my FX 8120 and with my old 9950 phenom I

I left it on with my 955 BE, 1055T.

Doesn't work to well on the Fx processors, for some reason on my board, causes the cpu to throttle in load. Again could be my motherboard and its bios. I'm still tweaking the Fx system, but for now

However with the 1055T and the 955 quad BE, on a 790gx board cool and quiet served me very well.

Can you enable CnQ on the FX 8150 when overclocked?

You can on a 8120 so I don't see why not on the 8150. The thinking behind leaving it off is for stability while OC'd. Personally I figured out how far I can go, backed off a little, and leave CnQ on. If you're pushing your processor to it's absolute edge then I would disable it as the ramping up could make it unstable. Running at 4200 instead of 4400 is a nice trade off for a much cooler running system. That's at stock voltage though so there's plenty of headroom left to play if I decide to go higher.

Have you gone into Control Panel and changed your Power Management setting to High Performance?

Hmm I'll have to double check that when I get a chance; it's probably on some power-saving setting since that's what I typically like to run. Still seems weird though that it would fluctuate between 800mhz, 2100mhz, and 3200mhz so often even in the middle of a game though, no? I'll have to test it out.

So my power management settings were set to "Power Saver" with a minimum processor state of 5% and a max of 100%. I turned Cool n Quiet back on in the BIOS and left the power management at "Power Saver" and then played some CSS. Sure enough, my frames dropped as expected because the computer was jumping between 800mhz and 2100mhz instead of just keeping it at 3200mhz.

I changed the option to "Maximize Performance" or whatever it's called. All this option does though is change the minimum processor state to 100% (3200mhz in my case).... so the processor's always at 100%. With this option + Cool and Quiet enabled I was able to play CSS at the appropriate fps and my CPU stayed at 3200mhz.

However, there's no point to Cool and Quiet if you're just going to enable "Maximize Performance." It'll just keep the processor maxed out in terms of clocks and volts, regardless of whether you need the clocks or not. It's a shame that Cool and Quiet doesn't work better with the "Power Saver" option of scaling from 5% --> 100% based on need.

"Power Saver" is supposed to be very conservative about ramping up the CPU speed. It also uses CPU throttling for thermal management instead of fan speed. Have you tried "balanced"?

I have CnQ on, it seems to be working fine (FX-8120, Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3).

The big issue for a lot of people seems to be the application power management bug. APM drops the CPU down to ~2 GHz when power consumption goes out of spec, causing it to cycle back and forth between 2GHz and your overclock.

For whatever reason the option to turn it off wasn't included in the initial FX-support BIOS releases. Gigabyte and ASUS seem to have updates out now, dunno about other manufacturers. There's a workaround using AMD overdrive (turn turbo core on, then off), but you have to do it every reboot.

I leave CnQ enabled on my X4 955 when overclocking, but I only change the multiplier. I run on "balanced" and it only ramps up to speed when it feels the need. I have not noticed any problems in games... but again not running a lot of benchmarks.

Back