Still playing Dragon Age

toddw

[H]ard|Gawd
I've taken a couple months away, and now I'm working on my third play through. Granted, I didn't get it until Ultimate Edition...

I'm still finding new codex's (or actually reading them this time). They really did a lot to ensure each race/faction does make the game *just* different enough... you never see anyone take this kind of time fleshing out backstory, characters, etc. That, and I think I just like how Bioware makes games.

Now if only I could get Bioware away from EA, give them a ridiculously long development cycle, and have them re-create the Ultima games.... we can dream, can't we?

I still go back to DA now and then. I've done around 10 complete playthroughs, each a little different than before.

Took me a while to get into DA2, didn't like a lot about it (still dont like some of it), but I managed to complete it.

Now to see where DA3 ends up and hope for a solid conclusion.

I could barely get through DA one time. Granted about halfway through I started over because I wanted to play a different character.... but by the time I got to the end I was really forcing myself to play. There are some lengthy segments in the game that really wear a gamer down. *cough* Deep Roads *cough*

It didn't help that the storyline was rather insipid... and peaked about 2 hours into the game.

I've played through DA completely twice (good and bad) and the only DLC I bought was Warden's Keep. While I enjoyed DA2 I just couldn't get into it like the first DA. Running around in the city hub for DA2 just wore me down and made me glad when the game was over.

Right now I'm playing through ME2 (thank god for ME1 save games) in preparation for ME3 but if I finish my run through quick enough I might give DA another whorl before BF3 and Skyrim consume my gaming time.

DA was one of the last single player games I finished, utterly compelling from start to finish. DA2 was plain horrid, I never finished it. Will DA3 head back to DA1 territory? One can only hope.

playing through da2 now, with a few mods it really changes the game (party respec, gear restriction removals, etc..) but I will admit dao is/was amazing. seriously one of the greatest games I've ever played.

I played DA five times through, just to try different characters out. DA2, I think I spent a total of about 32 mins before uninstalling it, lol!

About halfway through DA and lost interest... Always mean to go back to it, but never seem to. I even still have it on my SSD cause it's one game which greatly benefits from it, but I'm having trouble continuing.

Even picked up DA II on a whim when it was $10 in a flash sale, but haven't checked it out yet. Went straight to backlog....

Maybe this post will put me back into it.

i cant play rpg games more than once i get bored. but i did beat both dao and da2

I've only completed DA:O once so far, but I ahve goe through playing different origin stories. I brought a rogue about halfway though the game, then stopped. I'm currently halfway through with a 2handed warrior who is excellent- might finish it again this time.

I'm also running a group through a campaign using the Dragon Age pen & paper rules from Green Ronin publishing. It's been a lot of fun. We've been playing for about 5 months now and everyone still enjoys it.

I haven't played DA2 yet but have heard it's "okay but don't expect DA:O"

Roaming the internet I came upon a post by Bioware saying how they wanted to make II and the upcoming III "more available to new players". AKA consolizing or dumbing down, whatever you want to call it.

Here's why I'm stupid and would never be able to make it in the game industry: See, I would screw it up because I would think things like high metascore, word of mouth, GotY awards, etc, would sell future games.
All these companies are run by folks who only care what their investors say, which BTW is make a game that costs $1, and sell it to 40 million people for $60. I think it is enevitable that whenever a game sells really well and is well received, the f-ing shareholders will crawl out of the woodwork to leech on it with their rally cry "spend $2 on development, rush it through legal dept to ensure no lawsuites, then dump it on the unsuspecting unwashed masses for $60."
See, once the community loves it enough, it attracts wall street greed. Same with movies and everything else.
Apparently, EA has spread their infection again. Under normal circumstances wouldn't really care, but the fact is there just isn't that many outstanding RPG's being made, so every one killed is a big loss IMO.

Back