• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Still gettin random popups ...going crazy~!

Joined
Sep 26, 2008
Messages
39
My computer is still infected with a virus, or some adware or spyware.

either way, I'm still getting random popups whenever I turn the computer on.


I run a couple programs religiously already

- CCleaner
- Ad Aware 2008
- Spybot search and destroy
- spydoctor

these programs find wares and I delete all of them, but I still keep getting popups.

if it helps, I looked in my processes, and I noticed that cmd.exe pops up once in a while. Maybe this is causing my popups problems

I've searched high and low for solutions and this was my last option, so I was wondering if someone can help me
 
Check for any extraneous startup processes, dlls, drivers (these occur, surprisingly). Run ProcessExplorer/ProcessMonitor to see whats causing the command prompt windows to open.

Tried Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware?
 
Use some better scanners.......

MalwareBytes
SuperAntispyware
AntiVir

I don't bother with Adaware anymore.....haven't found it useful in a couple of years.

Do you update Spybot with the latest definitions before each scan? And it's version 1.6 right? Each time you update, to you re-immunize twice?
 
Disable system restore....then run scans with updated progs...when done with that....run them again in safe mode....
 
I just wanted to add that I recently scanned a HD that I knew was infected - both NOD32 and AVG failed to find the culprit even with the latest defs. I ran SuperAntiSpyware and it found a rootkit along with two other viruses and cleaned them without issue. Good stuff.
 
It might be one of legitimate softwares like antivir. It has popup everytime there is a definition update. I know some of free registry cleaning softwares do it too.
 
None of your programs listed are official virus scanners, so you should look into one of those as well. I like Avira, which also has a bootable Rescue CD to download, which works great. As mentioned, you can always check into running processes as well as disabling System Restore, to see if that helps.
 
Don't reformat. Yet.

Take the advice in this thread:
Disable system restore. This will delete all those old restore backups you have. Sucks if you need them, but that might exactly where the virus is.

Then run SuperAntiSpyware - awesome program. Saved my computer when I got the Vundo Trojan.
After that, run Malware Byte's Anti-Malware. Another great program.

Then get a good AV - AntiVir Free should do, and run a scan. After that, your computer *should* be clean. If not, then it might be time to think about reformatting.
 
As a last resort before reformatting, which might be less painful, run HijackThis (free) and post a log (Google for HijackThis and you will find Forums that specialize in reading and diagnosing the HijackThis logs for FREE!). This program really gets into the low level and the advice is rock solid.

Another program to use to monitor what starts up is "WinPatrol" and it's free.
 
Back
Top