• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Still Camera and Video Camera suggestions

kur1j

Gawd
Joined
Sep 13, 2003
Messages
682
1)
I am looking at getting a mid to semi high end still shot camera for common camera shots (family, sports, trips etc.). I would like to be able to throw it on Auto and just snap some pictures but later on down the road if I want/need would like the ability to get a little more advanced with the pictures I take (if I wanted to). I don't want to go into the super high end where you are spending more for the lens than the camera itself but I don't want just a simple 100 dollar "point and shoot" with 30MPs as the selling point.

To give this a little contrast my parents got a G5 about 5-6 years ago and still have it. Still a good camera. Slow but still good. Would like something like that maybe a tad better.

Willing to spend $500-$1000 on one. Obviously if there is something much superior or has some feature ability that makes thinks easier obviously willing to go out of that range a little. For example if camera A is 700 but takes media cards that are proprietary *cough* sony memory sticks *cough* and a camera thats 1100 that takes CF cards I would be more inclined to buy the $1100 camera :).

I am a sucker for big name brands (Nikon, Canon)

Any suggestions on this matter would be appreciated.

2)
Not really a question.

HDR feature for the above camera. I assume most if not all good cameras in the above price range have this feature?There is no way I would be able to take pictures like the ones I like but this is something that is really interesting. Right under taking good pictures would like a camera that is capable of taking HDR pictures.

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/4/2010/11/jessieleduchdr.jpg

3)

Video camera - I know that some of the good DSLR cameras take really good HD videos but something that I would be interested in is some type of super slow motion video. I realize these cameras can get REALLY pricey really quickly. From my understanding the quality of the ones that the mythbusters use take 100k+ fps and are an easy $50k+.

I sure as hell don't need anything that extreme but is there anything in the 300-1k dollar range that would take 500-1k FPS?

Again this would also be used to take videos of family and vacations.

Don't want a camera that saves anything in a proprietary format. Want something that I can easily get the videos off of and burn to a DVD/BR.


#1TL;DR
Looking for good quality mid ranged still shot camera that can be used as a point and shoot but has the functionality where I can get more advanced with the pictures if I wanted. Budget $500-$1000.

#2TL;DR
Looking for video camera that has a good slow motion feature that saves the video in a standard video format.
 
1. That's a nice budget for a still camera. From your post, it sounds to me like you want to stay away from a DSLR type camera, and with your experience with the G5, I'd suggest picking up the G12, which will meet all your needs. However, if you're looking for something with a larger sensor (which may translate into a better image quality and better ISO performance), a micro4/3 system could be a way to go. It's basically a P&S camera with interchangeable lenses, like a DSLR but smaller. A good hybrid camera should also be considered. Which system appeals to you the most?

2. Any camera with some manual controls should be able to do a proper HDR, since it requires you to take 3 or more images of the same subject at different EV values. Use a tripod to take the images, and then a software like Photomatix to create the HDR image.

3. No clue :D
 
Didn't realize the 7D could do slow-mo like that. Neat. If that's the case... Zepher's found you a new camera ;)
 
Didn't realize the 7D could do slow-mo like that. Neat. If that's the case... Zepher's found you a new camera ;)

It doesn't, the 7D was in 60P and the software made it 1000fps.
 
1. That's a nice budget for a still camera. From your post, it sounds to me like you want to stay away from a DSLR type camera, and with your experience with the G5, I'd suggest picking up the G12, which will meet all your needs. However, if you're looking for something with a larger sensor (which may translate into a better image quality and better ISO performance), a micro4/3 system could be a way to go. It's basically a P&S camera with interchangeable lenses, like a DSLR but smaller. A good hybrid camera should also be considered. Which system appeals to you the most?

2. Any camera with some manual controls should be able to do a proper HDR, since it requires you to take 3 or more images of the same subject at different EV values. Use a tripod to take the images, and then a software like Photomatix to create the HDR image.

3. No clue :D

Thank you for your response.

I am doing most of my research on the Nikon D90 and the Canon EOS Rebel T2i.

It seems that the Canon takes better videos but the Nikon has better picture quality. Is there some other stuff that I should be looking at?

I am kinda leaning toward the Rebel T2i as it has an automatic 5 +/- HDR feature the D90 only 3. Another reason is the D90 is almost 2 years old technology wise.

Couple more questions...is the image quality that much different?

Am was looking at

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...120437&cm_re=canon_t2i-_-30-120-437-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...120447&cm_re=canon_t2i-_-30-120-447-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...113155&cm_re=nikon_d90-_-30-113-155-_-Product

It looks like the Nikon lens is right between the two.

Is there any news on a newer version of the D90 coming out?

Is there any other cameras comparable that you would suggest adding to this mix?
 
DSLR does all you need, really.
take a look at this video from Canon 7D processed with some software,
http://vimeo.com/groups/8432/videos/13557939



Wow seeing this makes me want to reconsider.

Could someone give me some information on the big differences between the 7D and the Rebel T2i? Looking at the specifications on dpreview they look almost EXACTLY the same. except for the price. Is there a big difference in something that the comparison specifications on dpreview or snapsort.com isn't showing?

http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon_EOS_7D-vs-Canon_EOS_Rebel_T2i/specs

http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon_EOS_7D-vs-Nikon_D7000/specs
 
Last edited:
The main differences in the 2 Canons are going to be speed, build quality, and durability.

The Canon DSLR's blow away pretty much all sub $15K camcorders, but there are limitations with the DSLR's. there currently isn't auto focus, audio isn't that great with the built in mic, max of 12 minute long clips due to sensor heat.
 
max of 12 minute long clips due to sensor heat.
This part isn't quite true. The max is 12 minutes, indeed, but in HD mode. In 640x480, it stops recording at 29 min and 59 sec. mark. Both are limited by the memory cards, not the overheating sensor. The CF cards are formatted with FAT32, and as you know, FAT32 limitation is at 4GB per file. The camera automatically stops recording when it hits the limit, and at 330MB/minute in HD it works out to about 12min.

As for the difference between Nikon and Canon brand cameras, go with whichever feels better to you (lens selection, ergonomics, overall feel, etc.). You can't go wrong with either. But, if video is one of the top reasons you want to buy a camera, a Canon has an edge over Nikon, IMO, with 7D being a solid recommendation.

Oh, and if you're going to buy it online, save yourself a lot of money, and get it from http://www.bhphotovideo.com or other camera store, not newegg.
 
This part isn't quite true. The max is 12 minutes, indeed, but in HD mode. In 640x480, it stops recording at 29 min and 59 sec. mark. Both are limited by the memory cards, not the overheating sensor. The CF cards are formatted with FAT32, and as you know, FAT32 limitation is at 4GB per file. The camera automatically stops recording when it hits the limit, and at 330MB/minute in HD it works out to about 12min.

As for the difference between Nikon and Canon brand cameras, go with whichever feels better to you (lens selection, ergonomics, overall feel, etc.). You can't go wrong with either. But, if video is one of the top reasons you want to buy a camera, a Canon has an edge over Nikon, IMO, with 7D being a solid recommendation.

Oh, and if you're going to buy it online, save yourself a lot of money, and get it from http://www.bhphotovideo.com or other camera store, not newegg.

Ok, I was under the impression that the 12 minute limit was due to the overheating sensor since that is what I was reading about before the 5D MKII was released.
I knew the 7D had the 12 minute limit as well and assumed it was the sensor. File size limit never crossed my mind.
 
Ended up going with the 7d probably won't ever use half the features but I know it won't be the cameras fault if I end up taking a bad picture.

I ended up getting the kit with the 18 - 135 lens. Most people said it wasn't a great lens but was decent for every day shots.

Now I need to read up on how to take a decent picture
 
Back
Top