Stick to BH-5 or go PC4000?

evilnickwong

Weaksauce
I'm currently on a 2.4C w/ a P4P800 and the stuff in my sig.
I'm now running 2x256MB PC3200 HyperX with BH-5 modules.

OK assuming I am doing 260MHz FSB, my HyperX will be running at 5:4 meaning about DDR410 at 2-2-2-5. Can't do 1:1 because vdimm on P4P800 maxes at 2.85, so I can't push the mem.

Anyway, should I stick to this setup or should I get rid of the BH-5s and get 2 x 512MB Adata Vitesta PC4000 and run 1:1 (260 FSB) at 3-4-4-8?

Basically, should I go for DDR410@2-2-2-5 or get DDR520@3-4-4-8?
Don't forget that it will be 1GB of PC4000 versus 512MB of PC3200 BH-5.

Personally, for your system i'd go with the PC4000. Or... just vdimm mod the board ;D

i would vdimm that board if what you do doesn't require too much ram
but if you need 1 gb then get the PC4000

Assuming I'm not going to vdimm mod the P4P800 since I wanna keep my warranty intact :D

I read alot of comparisons between high bandwidth and low latency. TomsHardware says high bandwidth is better, AnandTech and PCStats seem to go for low latencies.

:confused:

you can get higher bandwidth with lower latency and high frequency

i think you're talking about the high frequency and relaxed timings vs. low latency
if you're not gonna do a vdimm then go for the PC4000

Timings are unimportant on P4s. High latency gets hidden in the uber long pipeline anyway... Just get the highest bandwidth ram with the shittiest timings.

Thats SUCH bullshit it isn't even funny.....low latency are EXTREMLEY important....If you want me to, I'll run any test you want with my bh5 @ pc4000 speeds and see which one is faster....low latency or high. Just name the tests.

hahah someone got mad:D that someone is dissing their BH-5
give him a break dude he probly dont' know what he's talking bout

lol I wasn't so much mad cuz he was dissin my bh5 (in fact its for sale right now) but because so many people go around misleading people with false information like that. I mean, how could you really, honestly think that latencies mean nothing.....

I bet you $100 he has never done any tests to back up waht he is saying, and is just rephrasing something he heard from some other guy who had just been suckered into shelling out $400 for memory that performs worse than $200 khx3000 kingston hyperx pc3000.

what where are you selling your ram????
how much?

and i ain't gonna take that bet...cuz u are probly right

I think the wording should be
"The performance hit won't be as great running a ratio/higher latencies as it would be on an equivalent AMD platform"

Thats SUCH bullshit it isn't even funny.....low latency are EXTREMLEY important....If you want me to, I'll run any test you want with my bh5 @ pc4000 speeds and see which one is faster....low latency or high. Just name the tests.
Not nearly as important as on AMD. It's better to have lower latencies, but it's perfectly fine to have huge ones.

P4s love bandwidth and the timings aren't nearly as important. Go with the PC4k.

i haven't seen High frequency with relaxed timings get close to 6000 on UNBUFFERED sandra memory yet

and you get more bandwidth with tighter timings not relaxed timings

With all this arguing I'm still confused! :D

I won't be running my BH-5 at DDR500 speeds because P4P800 maxes vdimm at 2.85v only, plus I want my warranty, so no vmodding.

The offer I have now is, I'll trade my 2x256 BH-5 DDR400 and US$25 for 2x512 Adata Vitesta DDR500.

sorry dude...im just trying to help point out that low latency is better

but since you're not gonna do any mods to take advantage of that ram then just go ahead and trade

I think everyone is also missing the fact that he is going from 512MB to 1GB of RAM - Of course I would say if you are going that route go for Corsair PC4000 and run at CAS 2.5 without a volt mod.

Back