Stick on anti-glare cover?

mejobloggs

Weaksauce
I have an Achieva Shimian 1440p and the glare/reflection is driving me mad.

Are there any good anti-glare stickers, coatings or anything I can apply? Or would they hinder image quality too much?

Otherwise might have to use the Shimian as my bedroom mirror and find a new monitor

Here is a thread from a few years ago where MetaGenie tried applying a number of things to a monitor screen. His goal was the opposite, to change a matte screen to glossy, but the challenge of applying a coating of some sort to an LCD monitor is the same - difficult.

NCX has a list of the best 27" 1440p monitors, and notes which ones are matte or semi-glossy as opposed to glossy.

Achieva monitors got a brief mention in his list of worst 27" 1440p monitors. If it sucks that bad even if you fix the reflections, then it's probably best to just give up on it and try a much better monitor that's not glossy to begin with.

I have an Achieva Shimian 1440p and the glare/reflection is driving me mad.

Buy some blinds, blankets or sheets to cover windows, replace room lighting or use bias lighting (put a lamp behind your monitor with a 1600-2600 lumen Philips 6500k/Daylight CFL) while all other lights are off. Bias lighting can vastly increase a monitors perceived black depth.

Achieva monitors got a brief mention in his list of worst 27" 1440p monitors. If it sucks that bad even if you fix the reflections, then it's probably best to just give up on it and try a much better monitor that's not glossy to begin with.

The single-input Achieva's which came out in 2012 are the same as the Yamakasi Catleap in terms of preset colour accuracy and pixel response times, but do not are barely overclock. Only the multi-input Achieva's suck, but most of the non-Crossover multi-input Korean monitors do.

Don't use 6500k, it's too cool and will cause eyestrain. In addition, because It puts out more blue light, it might affect your circadian rythmn.

I use 4100k, but I'd like to try 3500k.

2700k-5000k is much better than 6500k.

Even sunlight is only 5600k, at noon!
Thus, 6500k is in a sense, "brighter than the sun."
http://lowel.tiffen.com/edu/color_temperature_and_rendering_demystified.html

Also:
http://www.allaboutvision.com/cvs/irritated.htm

Color temperature. This is a technical term used to describe the spectrum of visible light emitted by a color display. Blue light is short-wavelength visible light that is associated with more eye strain than longer wavelength hues, such as orange and red. Reducing the color temperature of your display lowers the amount of blue light emitted by a color display for better long-term viewing comfort.

If you want to match your display, just calibrate your monitor to 5000k. (A discrepancy has never bothered me. Remember, the color of your walls will affect your color.)

Also, fluorescent (CFL) has massive spikes in its color spectrum, due to the mercury.
http://housecraft.ca/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/spectral_responses2.png
http://www.popularmechanics.com/cm/popularmechanics/images/XH/lightbulb-wars-00-0911-mdn.jpg

Last edited:
edit: oh for backlight/bias lighting... idk i thought we were talking about monitor settings

if you're staring at a white screen most of the time (from web browsing or coding or whatever) ya
if you're watching movies or whatever...well they're supposed to be viewed with a 6500k white point

massive spikes don't matter unless you're using your monitor to illuminate your work area
even then ccfls are fine for the most part

Last edited:
edit: oh for backlight/bias lighting... idk i thought we were talking about monitor settings

if you're staring at a white screen most of the time (from web browsing or coding or whatever) ya
if you're watching movies or whatever...well they're supposed to be viewed with a 6500k white point

massive spikes don't matter unless you're using your monitor to illuminate your work area
even then ccfls are fine for the most part

I mentioned fluorescents because NCX brought up CFL (not CCFL) bias lighting (not backlighting.)

Don't use 6500k, it's too cool and will cause eyestrain. In addition, because It puts out more blue light, it might affect your circadian rythmn.

I use 4100k, but I'd like to try 3500k.

2700k-5000k is much better than 6500k.

If you want to match your display, just calibrate your monitor to 5000k. (A discrepancy has never bothered me. Remember, the color of your walls will affect your color.)

Yep I've been getting really bad eyestrain ever since using this monitor. I thought maybe it was all the reflections.

How do i calibrate it to 4100k?

Buy some blinds, blankets or sheets to cover windows, replace room lighting or use bias lighting (put a lamp behind your monitor with a 1600-2600 lumen Philips 6500k/Daylight CFL) while all other lights are off. Bias lighting can vastly increase a monitors perceived black depth..

Yeah done a fair bit of window coverings etc but I have to make it so dark and gloomy it's like 24/7 nighttime

Interesting about putting a lamp behind the monitor. Does this help with.... perceived reflections or anything? Or just the black level?

Yep I've been getting really bad eyestrain ever since using this monitor. I thought maybe it was all the reflections.

How do i calibrate it to 4100k?

I wouldn't go below 5000k for the monitor. The room lighting will do well to be lower, though.

The only way I know of, is to use a colorimeter. Example: http://www.amazon.com/X-Rite-CMUNSM...ie=UTF8&qid=1422439184&sr=8-4&keywords=x-rite

Apart from that, you can merely lower the blue and green until you find the best warm white you can. (RGB in OSD. For my monitor, it's 99 89 89)

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Yeah done a fair bit of window coverings etc but I have to make it so dark and gloomy it's like 24/7 nighttime

Interesting about putting a lamp behind the monitor. Does this help with.... perceived reflections or anything? Or just the black level?

With my med-brown room, it didn't have to be very dark. The only particularly bothersome reflection, was from my forehead/neck.

Look into PDC monitors - what I use now. Major improvement, but poor blacks.

I wouldn't go below 5000k for the monitor. The room lighting will do well to be lower, though.

The only way I know of, is to use a colorimeter. Example: http://www.amazon.com/X-Rite-CMUNSM...ie=UTF8&qid=1422439184&sr=8-4&keywords=x-rite

Apart from that, you can merely lower the blue and green until you find the best warm white you can. (RGB in OSD. For my monitor, it's 99 89 89)

I don't have an OSD.... does that mean I can't use a colorimeter?

Does a colorimeter just adjust the Windows colour profile? Colour profiles don't affect games do they? Cause i'd like my games to benefit from calibrating too

I don't have a colorimeter either but I wouldn't mind an excuse to buy one. Have plenty of screens I'd like to use it on

Last edited:

This is kind of assuming poor lighting, though. For example, a bright, 6500k light bulb might be a poor choice for a dimly lit room, but a fine choice of bias lighting for a well-lit room.

I personally use Philips Hue light bulbs which I adjust based on the time of day (they're on alarms even); 5000k for morning use, 4000k for the afternoon, 3000k at night time. I couple this with one light set to 6500k for use as bias lighting.

I can safely report no eye-strain, and I keep my circadian rhythm regulated by adjusting my ambient light to the time of day, as I said. I do agree, however, that 6500k is a poor choice for regular room lighting, but it will likely cause little harm for a bias light.

This is kind of assuming poor lighting, though. For example, a bright, 6500k light bulb might be a poor choice for a dimly lit room, but a fine choice of bias lighting for a well-lit room.

I personally use Philips Hue light bulbs which I adjust based on the time of day (they're on alarms even); 5000k for morning use, 4000k for the afternoon, 3000k at night time. I couple this one light set to 6500k for bias lighting.

I can safely report no eye-strain, and I keep my circadian rhythm regulated by adjusting my ambient light to the time of day, as I said. I do agree, however, that 6500k is a poor choice for regular room lighting, but it will likely cause little harm for a bias light.

The result isn't really 6500k, then - because the other lights are combining with it. ;)

What do you gain from using 6500k at all? You're saying it's not that bad, but how does it help, vs others?

BTW, cool alarm setup. :D

Last edited:
The result isn't really 6500k, then - because the other lights are combining with it. ;)

What do you gain from using 6500k at all? You're saying it's not that bad, but how does it help, vs others?

BTW, cool alarm setup. :D

This article is pretty insightful on bias lighting. In summation though, it really just increases the perceived black depth that much more vs. any other lighting color temperature I've tested.

I actually set my room lighting entirely to 6500k when testing monitors, since I calibrate to industry standards and the like.

This article is pretty insightful on bias lighting. In summation though, it really just increases the perceived black depth that much more vs. any other lighting color temperature I've tested.

I actually set my room lighting entirely to 6500k when testing monitors, since I calibrate to industry standards and the like.

Thanks.

Even sunlight is only 5600k, at noon!
Thus, 6500k is in a sense, "brighter than the sun."
This is only valid if you forget that the sky exists. Skylight is a much higher colour temperature, 12,000k-20,000k! 6500k (well, D65 really) is the average combination of the Sun's contribution to lighting and the Sky's contribution during the day at European latitudes. The only time there's any real benefit to calibrating to a different illuminant is if you're at a significantly different latitude and are working on print media that will be displayed outdoors (e.g. posters and billboards), or are working on something that should be displayed in some other weird environment (e.g. a print that will only be displayed indoors and illuminated only by Tungsten lamps).
If you feel that your monitor contributes to eyestrain*, a program like f.lux may be a much better solution. This will help match the white point of the monitor with the white point of local lighting (i.e. 6500k from daylight during the day, 2700k-4100k for internal incandescent/Tungsten lighting during the evening/night) which changes throughout the day.
If you need accurate colours, you NEED the correct surrounding illumination. Just calibrating the monitor is only part of the process. The human eye will adapt to local illumination, so calibrating your monitor precisely to 6500k and then just dotting some random lights around the room is of very little help.

*In the few animal studies that have actually shown an actual harmful effect from 'blue light', the intensities have been very high and the wavelength used closer to UV than what we normally consider 'blue'. Particularly, it is of a shorter wavelength than sRGB's blue primary. Desktop monitors are of very low intensity and, with LED backlighting being nearly universal, are emitting a barely measurable amount of UV. w-LED has a yellow filter specifically to shape the blue emission, GBr-LED drops emission to 0 well before the UV range, and Quantum Dot backlights are even more tightly emissive.
There are a lot of companies who want to sell you devices to protect you from 'blue light damage'. Unless you are working with very high intensity light (and for some reason aren't already using safety equipment) these are basically a waste of money.

Looking at bright screens in a very dark room is a shortcut to eyestrain. You need to have a certain minimum amount of light.

Back