Stereoscopic 3D on the GTX 470

RooK

[H]ard|Gawd
So i've searched and been unable to find info about this, except for canned marketing.

I realize you need the card, 3d capable monitor???, and the shutter glasses, and win 7.

Has anyone messed with this? All I have is the GTX 470 and wondering how much more I need to even play with this stuff. It seems really interesting though.

Nvidia's 3 D Vision is an expensive route to go, considering the 120hz 3d capable lcd required along with the $200 nvidia 3d vision kit. Although I'm a fan of the technology, there are many nay-sayers and people who don't like the effect, or even have physical/medical problems with wearing active 3d glasses. My best suggestion is to see if any major retailers near you have a demonstration of the tech you can check out.

That being said, I like the effect and plan on purchasing 2 more 3d lcd's to go with my existing unit after nvidia finally releases the 3d surround drivers.

Having spent alot of time playing around with Nvidia 3D I can say that the effect when the game supports it well is very impressive. However the amount of games that support it well is limited somewhat , also Nvidia recent launched a regular polarized lens version so this maybe a sign of them moving away from there shutter glasses version in the long run.

The effect is really amazing in Left 4 dead but it doesn't really provide any gameplay advantages. I would say Eyefinity provides more of a gameplay advantage than 3D version does. If you aren't in love with recent 3D movies and TV then don't bother but if however you enjoy it and it adds a new level of gameplay go for it.

Yea you just need a 120Hz monitor, there's a few the cheapest being about $300 for a 22" 1680x1050 Samsung or Viewsonic. Acer has a 23.6" 1920x1080 and Alienware has a 23" 1920x1080 that heatlesssun linked, there's one more I'm forgetting.

Then you need the $200 3D Vision glasses kit and you're set, so about $500 in monitor and glasses but you can sell your old monitor to cut down on the expense too.

I played with it and it was impressive looking in some games, definitely better perception than say, the Avatar movie. But the wow factor wore off after 15 min or so for me, but I had no problems with eye strain or anything like that. Definitely worth checking out at least once, whether it's worth a purchase I'm not sure.

anyone in the midwest know some place that demo's these?

Back