stereo in a pc

Bump good idea i was thinking of the same thing and mounting the speakers in the desk

Hold on, I will try.... no, my current one won' do without some oldskool hacksaw modding... too wide, but perfect height...

If you don't mind, I shall steal your idea.

there would be a lot of wiring going on because you would have to give it a power supply

the radio could run off the psu easy but for the amp you would have to get something

that would be freakin awesome, but as said before, its way to wide.

great idea though. Most HU's only have a 10-20 amp fuse on them, but I think thats still to much to be pulling from out common PSUs.

do you really want to spend $100 just to put a car stereo on a computer just for a power supply?

i need to lay off the crack

it just came to me that i could use a freakin computer psu

i have a allied psu and i think it gets 18a on the 12v line

i could just rewire and mod it in my case

also i thought about putting my alarm clock led in my case just now.

coolbeans:)

well i have a mustang hu and a honda hu and i think the mustang one is better and is smaller so i could put this in my hp mod

i have no idea how i will wire this since the connector is in my car

frontz.JPG

backes.JPG

ive seen it done before... but i dont remember where...

it was an aftermarket hu and he did have to cut about 5mm on each side, or maybe 10mm

This car HU in a comp has been tried before. Can't find the thread in the car forum anymore. Bottom line is that is counter productive because of price, power, and speaker configuration. IMO it would be easier to get a good sound card and a highend speaker set. Don't let my opinion stop you, though.

I dont think the whole point is for the best quality sound, because we all know that a good soundcard and some nice speakers will run a lot less than a hu and some nice car audio equipment. I think the main point is because it would be unique and just kick ass!

And not many people can say they have a car stereo in their PC :D

it just a wow factor

any one can get a good sound card and good speakers

i think they call it originality;)

Very interesting. I like it, just do to having a 12" sub inside the house would be sweet. My little Altec Lansing already shakes stuff, but...man...
I think I'm gonna try this one out!

Originally posted by NotVery[H]
Very interesting. I like it, just do to having a 12" sub inside the house would be sweet. My little Altec Lansing already shakes stuff, but...man...
I think I'm gonna try this one out!

I had 2 10"s next to my computer for awhile (car subs) and it kicked.

I tried this idea on a thermaltake lanfire (b/c of the top bay) and it didn't work, but I do have to admit that wouild kick ass at a lan

You can get a harness adapter from somewhere like www.crutchfield.com . It comes with a wire diagram telling you what the wires hookup to and what they do.

If you still have the oem harness you could plug it in and solder the wires to the harness but if you lost it, thats going to be a pain in the ass.

Originally posted by thebro
found it i think

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-BZeiqa...c=11&g=103000&I=120705520&o=m&a=0&cc=01&avf=N

i pulled that hu from a 2003 mustang so i think thats it

That's to connect the wires from the harness on an aftermarket HU to the wiring harness in the vehicle. The end of that harness is exactly the same as the back of his HU, so it won't help. (I was thinking the same thing though until I looked it over for a few minutes ;) )

I was also thinking of doing this just the other day. Weird...

I did not mean to use the harness to connect it. The wire harness from crutchfield comes wit the wiring diagram that tells you what cables go to certain things. That is why i suggested it.

The factory harness is just a bunch of diffrent colored cables that dont tell you what they connect to.

There was a fellow at Pheaton that was doing a project of this nature. I dunno if he ever finished it or not but all the pics turned into
's and the thread has not been updated in quite some time.

If you decide to use a aftermarket HU it will come with its harness wich most of the time use the standard colors. and at that they will tell you specifically wich wires do what. From there it would be hooking up a switched twelve volt line to the HU to turn it on. a contiuous twelve volt would also be neccessary. From there its just like wiring a car. The hardest part would be cutting the case to fit the HU. now if you whant to run a amp and subs your on your own because you would need at least one other power supply rated above the output of the amp.

You'll need more than an ATX power supply to run an amp. Probably a battery and charger or one humoungous 12-14 v. transformer.

Originally posted by Ike
I did not mean to use the harness to connect it. The wire harness from crutchfield comes wit the wiring diagram that tells you what cables go to certain things. That is why i suggested it.

Oh, I didn't even think of that.

Back