stereo bookshelf/studio monitors

Which one?

  • Swan m200

    Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Behringers

    Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Insignia

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Klipsch

    Votes: 4 30.8%

  • Total voters
    13
Joined
Feb 17, 2007
Messages
27
I want 2.0 speakers for my computer. I listen to mostly classical music with a little bit of country and some oldies. Once in a while I may watch a movie or play games with them.

Here are the options:
(I have the model, then a link to its page, and a reason why I have this as a choice)

Swan m200 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16836136102
They do not require an amp and they have received stunning reviews.

OR

T-Amp http://www.thinkgeek.com/electronics/audio/6cd8/
Would I need the T-Amp or Super T-Amp?

+

Behringer Truths http://www.behringer.com/B2030P/index.cfm?lang=ENG
Many people say that Behringers are good.

or

Insignia Bookshelf Speakers http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7705307&type=product&id=1138085354138I like these because they are cheap.

or

Klipsch Bookshelf Speakers http://klipsch.com/products/details/b-2.aspx
The most expensive, but people say that Klipsch is a good brand.
 
If you decide to get a t-amp and passive speakers, I'd look at Onix X-LS--they seem to be in your price range. I heard none of your choices, but my guess is X-LS sound better than any of them.
 
That T-Amp + Insignia combo would probably be the best for the money. I have a 25 year old JVC amp powering some Insignias and it sounds really nice for the $30 I spend on the speakers. You wont need a subwoofer, the speakers do fine by themselves. They look pretty nice too. And they are fairly sensitive, so you should be able to power them fine with the T-Amp.

They aren't nearly as beautiful sounding as my HTD lvl3s, or as powerful and clean sounding as my Primus 250s, but they are a good buy.

You could spend more and get more, but you'll probably be fine with the insignias.
 
Insignias + T-amp Computer speakers can only go so far.

Serioulsy though this poll is not very good your comparing different things (Powered computer speakers vs bookshelves) at very different pricepoints. It all comes down to preference.
 
I used the Klipsch Promedia 2.1 and Altec Lansing 5021 systems for years, but made the leap to a bookshelf + subwoofer + receiver system. I'm now using a pair of X-LS bookshelves, Rocket Tyke sub and Yamaha RX-V990. The audio improvement is stunning. Just about any receiver and speaker combo will sound a lot better than PC-oriented speaker systems like those I mentioned.
 
I used the Klipsch Promedia 2.1 and Altec Lansing 5021 systems for years, but made the leap to a bookshelf + subwoofer + receiver system. I'm now using a pair of X-LS bookshelves, Rocket Tyke sub and Yamaha RX-V990. The audio improvement is stunning. Just about any receiver and speaker combo will sound a lot better than PC-oriented speaker systems like those I mentioned.

Watch out, I had Logitech and Klipsch Owners flame me for saying something similar.:D
 
I am using a pair of Alesis M1 Active MK2 studio monitors. They are bi-amped and sound very very good and can play very loud and clear and don't require a sub...

http://www.alesis.com/product.php?id=27

desk-11-06.jpg
 
Watch out, I had Logitech and Klipsch Owners flame me for saying something similar.:D

Let them think what they want. Quality Amp + Speakers > any computer speakers dont matter who makes them computer speakers just cant compare.
 
Wow, those Swans look SWEET. I almost regret taking the plunge on my 5.1 logitechs, but they sound pretty sweet too.

WS6........Britney ftw?????? I'd pay shipping if you replaced those posters.....
 
Let them think what they want. Quality Amp + Speakers > any computer speakers dont matter who makes them computer speakers just cant compare.

But, of the four he listed I picked the Swans:) I don't know if ComUSA still carries them but anyone could hear them there.
 
the alesis monitors are excellent actually...

although right now i enjoy my KRK 6's amped with an Altec 9442A... and i love them...

those behringers look pretty nice, they look like copies of the mackie monitors, which you can usually find at most studios...

note that the Klipsch speakers are not nearfield monitors, so i dunno how well they will do as monitors...

but ya unfortunately its hard to just go by what people say, ultimately its the sound you like
 
Your always better to go with receiver and speakers or preamp>power amps and speakers. Sometimes money isn't available for that type of gear so you have to make a sacrifice always go for the HT gear if you can.
 
You all crack me up.
Send me some new posters for the wall and I'll put them up.
 
Back
Top