• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Step Up program?

vjcsmoke

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Dec 5, 2006
Messages
4,511
Are there any ATI video card manufacturers that have step up programs?
If not, why not? :confused:
 
OMG after I RMAd my vapor-x 4890, I had to stick back in my dual 6600GTs and their fans sound like vaccuum cleaners! I dunno if I can stand to wait for 5870 with this kinda noise. Anyone got suggestions on what I should do?
 
Take a 6600 GT out unless you absolutely need it?
Posted via [H] Mobile Device
 
Ok I rechecked the source of the noise. It's not coming from the 6600GTs. It's coming from an obnoxiously loud motherboard fan that I believe is supposed to cool the Northbridge. I don't remember it ever being this loud before though? Anything I could do to silence it without overheating my mobo components?

It's the fan with the DFI logo stamped on top in this photo.
dfilpnf4sli_f.jpg


I think it used to be pretty quiet. But when I removed the 4890 and enabled SLI, the obnoxious noises start?!
 
It's possible the chip under the fan is either A, working a lot harder because of the SLI, or B, sucking hot air in from the 6800GT, or C, Being suffocated by the second video card being in it's face, or lastly D, the video card is causing turbulence when the fan is trying to suck in and giving you the whistling sound.

I don't know if turbulence is the word I should be using, but you get the idea.
 
But seriously, ASUS and/or XFX should consider step up programs. They'd make so much money from the upgrades, wouldn't they? Then they can sell refurbs for cheap and get an extra revenue stream with the used cards.
 
I had that motherboard and the first thing you want to do is replace that NB fan. It's a whiner.
 
But seriously, ASUS and/or XFX should consider step up programs. They'd make so much money from the upgrades, wouldn't they? Then they can sell refurbs for cheap and get an extra revenue stream with the used cards.

Yes. One of the reasons I returned my ASUS GTX 285s was this. I replaced them with EVGA.
 
I had that motherboard and the first thing you want to do is replace that NB fan. It's a whiner.

What did you use to replace it? Is there a relatively cheap/quiet NB fan that I could buy? Also what screws if any did you use to mount it. It's currently mounted with cheap pushpins that I am not in love with.
 
But seriously, ASUS and/or XFX should consider step up programs. They'd make so much money from the upgrades, wouldn't they? Then they can sell refurbs for cheap and get an extra revenue stream with the used cards.
They wouldn't make any more money off the cards themselves, and would probably end up making less than they currently do. The benefit to having a step-up program would be the possibility of increasing sales volume by giving consumers more of an incentive to purchase their cards. However, there's no guarantee that there will be enough of an increase in volume to compensate for the extra expense, so it's a gamble.
 
Back
Top