Step up program questions.

Baconstrip

Limp Gawd
Hey people. I know that all the information is supposedly on eVGA's site, but I'm currently at work and I want to decide on which card to get tonight!

Im putting together a new box, but unfortunately I've been out of the loop for awhile. My 6800GT actually just recently blew up and I cannot get it RMA'ed :( So I'm looking into buying a new video card, and I decide that it's time to go PCI express!

So I'm considering spending about 500ish on a new video card. I was reading a bit about eVGA's step up program, and decided that its probably a great idea to pick one of their cards up now and then upgrade later.

My question is this: If I do upgrade later, do I have to send my card before I recieve my new card? If so, it would kinda suck to be without a card for however many weeks.

So... I have 90 days..and if I buy an evga 7800GTX 256 meg for 500ish, and a 7900gtx 512 meg comes out and is .. say.. 700ish... Id only have to pay 200 bucks for the card provided I send the 7800gtx back to evga? If so, thats a great deal, and probably what I'll be doing.

Anyways, thank you for the help!

Baconstrip said:
So... I have 90 days..and if I buy an evga 7800GTX 256 meg for 500ish, and a 7900gtx 512 meg comes out and is .. say.. 700ish... Id only have to pay 200 bucks for the card provided I send the 7800gtx back to evga? If so, thats a great deal, and probably what I'll be doing.

Yup but you also have to pay for shipping, :(

Baconstrip said:
If so, it would kinda suck to be without a card for however many weeks.

I just sent both of my cards 2nd Day Air UPS...it was recieved on a friday and shipped out late on monday...I got my first card overnight...and then my second card should be coming in this afternoon...in other words, expect a week or a little over a week depending on the shipping priority you choose for your old card...

Hey Baconstrip, this is essentially what I decided to do. My 7800GTX/256 is in the mail from the egg right now.

When the 7900 is released, I'll pay the difference, send in my current card, and get a 7900. This way, I can build my system now without waiting for the 7900, but know that I'll be able to get one for only a little more money. And I feal very good, given EVGA's reputation for great service and products. I can stand being without my computer for a week or so - it'll be hard, but worth it, I think.

Thanks for the replies. I definitely think I will be doing this. I need a new card NOW, but Id still love to wait for the next set of cards that will be arriving shortly. this eVGA program really really helps me, considering Ill basically be borrowing the card as a guaranty to purchase one of the new ones when it comes out.

Good stuff!

I remember when people were doing the 7800GTX 512mb step ups, and someone said that EVGA wouldn't let people with SLI step up both their cards, only one. Did I remember wrong or was this some special circumstance because of the huge demand?

make shure you keep the box and all your cables, you need it to step up. otherwise you will need to but the stuff for them.

Cript said:
I remember when people were doing the 7800GTX 512mb step ups, and someone said that EVGA wouldn't let people with SLI step up both their cards, only one. Did I remember wrong or was this some special circumstance because of the huge demand?

That was just a rumor...no where in the Step-up terms and conditions does it say that you can't SLI

I can't see where it's a good deal when you have to pay some 30 to 50% markup on the replacement card instead just selling your card and buying a new one from newegg.

scwam said:
I can't see where it's a good deal when you have to pay some 30 to 50% markup on the replacement card instead just selling your card and buying a new one from newegg.

eh well these cards aren't very available...and when they are they are 700 or above...so if they give you a 600 dollar discount (the price paid for my original card)...I think it's worth 100 dollars to step up to a card that kicks 20% more ass

ProphetX said:
whats everything you need to provide to take part in the step up?

You need you're card...it's original CDs and manuals...and the original box (I think)...plus it has to be done within three months of purchase of the original card

Back