Step by Step Setting up Home/Office Network (w/Domain)

ltickett

[H]ard|Gawd
Well my home network is on it's way out (again). Some of the computers need replacing, the permissions are out of date, virus software etc etc. So I want to start from scratch. I wonder if anyone could point me to a "step by step guide" or help me put one together?

Current setup using my 1mb ADSL via IPcop, win2k3 domain controller, win2k fileserver, exchange 2003 mail server, symantec av... Clients mainly use XP, several on win2k.

I'll guess at the first step(s)-

Format all the machines (after backing up any important bits to dvdr)

Where to next? Should I combine the Domain Controller/Fileserver into 1 machine?! Should I set this up before I start install windows on the clients? Should I use RIS? Should I use SMS to deploy software etc? What logon scripts are useful for family (i.e. mapping mp3, photo, download, documents etc....

I am currently working on a small end guide for something like this. The guide will be on setting up a home server using Windows 2003 server. I decided to not add in Exchange because my site isnt a true networking site. I will post more info here when it is ready.

Do you plan on putting everything on 1 server?

At the moment I have seperate machines for most of the bits, but I think going forward it may be an idea to put it all on one machine (the old electricity bill keeps on going up... :)

Would love to have a chat if you're on msn or irc or something?

Cheers

Lee

Want a real challenge? Try to do this conversion without any network downtime.

I would really suggest going to a single machine setup, or possible a sync'd dual machine setup to avoid a single point of failure issue.

You may want to check out Microsoft's Small Business Server offerings. You get a Win2k3 server, Exchange w/5 CAL's for a pretty decent price. If you go with the Pro SBS, you also get SQL server and ISA (firewall, proxy server) as part of the deal.

It supports up to 50 users (may be more now with Win2K3 version) and is very cost effective and already tweaked to run everything on one box.

The downside is that SBS can't trust other domains, but that usually isn't an issue with small setups.

Thanks for the replies, i'm going to give Win2k3 Small Business Server a shot... Just finished installing, have to work out "what's next" hmm...

Right, added first "test" computer to the new domain and first user (to logon) to that computer...

Seems damn quick *yey* :)

Quite a good little wizard for setting up the user too, question... Is there a wizard/clever way of setting up roaming etc? Or should I do it manually? Like folder redirection from My Docs, and such like?

Could probably do with a trip to the "bookstore" see if i can't follow the manual *-)

Back