Steering Wheels. Questions About Microsoft 360 Wheel and Others.

CLock3

Gawd
Alright, so I've been trying to think of something I want for Christmas, and last night I was thinking about steering wheels. I've always been intrigued by them, and I think they're awesome, but I never really thought about getting one as they're pretty expensive. As I've been reading about them and such today, it went from a possible gift request idea to something I definitely would like, haha.

The thing I'm wondering is which one to go with. I know the Logitech G25 and G27 are basically the best you can get. The only thing is they're a bit on the pricey side. I was thinking about the Microsoft Xbox 360 steering wheel. It seems pretty nice, but you don't get a clutch. It's possible that I would be able to get the G27, but I wanted to know what others people recommend that are a little cheaper. Also, would most everyone recommend the G27 over the G25? From what I've read, some things on it are an improvement, but certain features are removed as well.

As far as games, I don't play as much racing sims, I've been playing more of the arcade types, like Dirt 2, Grid, and NFS: Shift. Though, to be honest, I'm sure I would enjoy the racing sims if I had a wheel to play them with.

Thanks a bunch in advance for any input. I appreciate it. :)

The MS wheel is fairly bad in general, notably because it only turns 220 degrees lock to lock. I'd say get a Driving Force GT or G27 unless you're after playing games on the Xbox 360, where licensing problems have made it so Logitech's wheels won't function.

Yeah, after doing some more research I figure the G25 or G27 will be my best option as well. Leaning towards going with a G25 right now.

Thanks for the input. If anyone else has any input on the G25 vs G27, let me know. Thanks again.

I've had the G25 for almost 3 years now. I would say that there are is only one other controller in existence that makes games as immersive as the G25 does for racing games. It's a solid controller. Mine gets hundreds of hours of use a year, and it's still in prefect shape. Definitely a kick ass controller. BTW, the other one that I think rules for immerision is the Novint Falcon w/ pistol grip (also own).. maybe head tracking systems would rank up there, but I've never used one.

Anyways, the big difference between the G25 and G27 is that the G25 can be put into sequential shift mode. The G27 lacks this capability. It's a bummer, too, because the G27 has some cool new features that I'd love to have. Maybe the G29 will have it all? Right now, you couldn't get me to trade my G25 for a G27. The lack of sequential shift means the G27 won't work with a lot of console (PS2/3) racing games, and some of the more fun (less sim-like) PC racing games... like FlatOut, for example.

im not sure how the lack of sequential shift could affect the wheel working in a game or not?

cant you just use the h-gate shifter or the paddles? remap the buttons to perform shift up and shift down?

i have had an original logitech momo for over 5 yrs now and only wish i could get the g27...maybe in 2010 at some point.

A lot of games don't support the 6 speed shifter, so the lack of the sequential shift on the gearbox is a big oversight, IMO. Yes, you can still use the paddles, if you want to. I personally map the padddles to other functions. I don't like using paddle shifters at all, but that's just me. There's something about driving a fake car in a game like FlatOut, and using paddle shifters that just doesn't seem right. Gearbox FTW, IMO. to each his own.

Alright, awesome, thanks for the input everyone. I was gonna go with the G25, but I can't find one new anywhere. I'm bummed because I saw it on Overstock yesterday for $180, but when I checked again last night, they were sold out. So looks like I'm going with the G27 for a little bit more money. The sequential shifting isn't as big of a deal to me. I don't have a PS3, so I won't be using it on that, just my PC. And anything that would require sequential, I would be fine with using the paddle shifters. From what I've been reading, most games I'm playing work great with the wheel anyways. It's pricey, but I feel like it's one of those things that will always be fun to fire up a racing game and use it, for years down the road, so I think I'll definitely get the money's worth out of it.

one thing to think about. you need to have room for the wheel when its not in use and also think of the often times hassle of setting it up every time you want to play.

my brother recently purchased a g25 and returned just yesterday because of that reason.

get a cheap shelving unit from any store (target, walmart, home depot, etc) to keep large controllers like this on, or a racing seat. Playgear, obutto, gorilla mods, etc. returning it because you can't store it... i think your priorities are out of whack. these racing systems are on the CHEAP end of acceptable controllers, and returning them because you have nowhere to put them...well, that's (IMO) one of tow things:

1.) you're not a racing fan, really
2.) having buyer's remorse

Yeah, I'm not really concerned with where I'm going to put it when it's not in use to be honest. Also, for the amount of enjoyment I'll be getting out of it, I'm fine with taking a couple of minutes to set it up when I want to use it, haha.

http://insidesimracing.tv/

They have a sim wheel shootout going on right now.. Though when you go to the site--- it will start to play the video.. That is part 2 of the shootout.. So go below and watch the 2nd video on the list first.. That is part 1...

Bottom line
If your using your wheel for console as well as pc--- fanatec porsche

If your just pc ---- g27

If you currently own a g25-- not worth the upgrade to the g27

If your purchasing first time-- then go straight to the g27

Fanatecs have had some troubles-- though the wheels are pretty nice..

Frex also makes a nice wheel-- the simwheel.. Though shinge is from japan and the wheel costs about $2500 usd... But its a nice wheel.. Personally-- id just pick up a g27 and call it a day..

Also-- custom pedals really make a big difference--- CST is the way to go.. I have a pair and they are great..

Have fun ...

I bought a Logitech Driving Force Pro off someone for $65, which was a steal. Although now I notice Logitech just took it off their site.

It might not be as new as the G25/7 but it has 900 degree steering and force feed back in the wheel. I've used it with GRiD and DiRT 2 now and it works great. It's just an up and down shifter and the pedals are standard, but if you arn't willing to spend $100+ for one and don't mind if its used a bit, then look around Craigslist or eBay.

I don't think I'm missing much from the G crowd.

Thanks for the input. I ended up going with the G27. Using it for PC only. I don't own any consoles except old ones anyways. I can't wait to try it out. Gotta wait until the 25th for that, though, haha.

Back