SteamOS Beta 3 installation errors for Virtualbox

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get the following errors shown in the screen shots below. The first is from the EFI shell 2.0 when I don't connect the iso to the Oracle Virtual Box VM or when I connect the physical optical disc:

and the second is when I connect the iso and reboot the Virtual Machine:

I didn't know there were guides on how to do this, so I attempted to do this on my own last night until around 2:00 am will writing the following instruction based on the system requirements and using imageburn to create the iso and disc as follows:

Steam OS Beta Oracle Virtual Box or VMware Player installation Experiment
Spring 2015
Date: Sunday March 16, 2015
A. Create a VM machine with VM Workstation or VM Player, or Oracle VirtualBox; name virtual machine 2440-430_Userid_Fedora13_client_LinuxVM where Userid represents the students UAnet login id. The virtual machine's folder should be placed in the in C: (root directory). Accept the defaults for the virtual machine setting except for the following items:
1. Click new if using Oracle Virtual Box or Create New Virtual Machine if using VMWare
2. Type a the desired name for the Virtual Machine if using Oracle Virtual Box otherwise proceed to the next step.
3. Choose a memory size of 4096MB.
4. Choose a hard disk size of 500 GB. This size may be expanded later, if needed.
5. Choose Create a Virtual hard drive now for Oracle Virtual Box otherwise skip this step.
6. Choose VMDK(Virtual Machine Disk) if using Oracle Virtual Box otherwise skip this step.
7. Choose Dynamically allocated and split files of less than 2 GB if using Oracle Virtual Box otherwise skip this step.
8. Choose to have hard disk contents stored in multiple files for VMware otherwise skip this step for Oracle Virtual Box, which the box should be checked to split in files of 2 GB or smaller. This option allows for greater portability.
9. Confirm that the name of the VM is the desired name and the memory size is the desired amount and click create for Oracle Virtual Box otherwise skip this step. Instead for Oracle Virtual Box confirm that 3D acceleration is enabled and Video memory is set to 128 MB under display, Audio Controller is set to Intel HD Audio or better and not AC97 under Audio, Enable USB 2.0 (EHCI) Controller under USB, and Storage Type is set to ICH6 under storage.
10. The machine should have VM Tools installed. If not, install VM Tools on the virtual machine.
Download/create a copy of SteamOS Beta where available because the you have to sign up or register to download it. Be sure to scan the file for viruses or malware if not downloaded from steampowered.com or the official steampowered.com site.

After seeing the guide on steampowered.com I modified it slighty to disable floppy, but thats it. However, I still get these errors and don't know why the installer won't start.
Does anyone on here know why because I don't think I'll get a response on steampowered.com, since I have not seen responsed to any of my bug reports for anything for a while. If your wondering why I'm installing it to a virtual machine it's because I wanted to see how it works before I install it on a dedicated machine, since the requirements say it wiill delete all the contents of the drive it's installled to and I want to make sure it can do what I need it to do it I'm going to seriously consider using it on any of my computers. Especially if it's going to wipe out everything else on the drive and become the primary and only operating system without any modifications or secondary OS installation after it's installation.

Have you tried getting VirtualBox to boot in BIOS mode instead of EFI? I haven't had much luck getting any version of Linux to boot from EFI in Virtualbox.

Have you tried getting VirtualBox to boot in BIOS mode instead of EFI? I haven't had much luck getting any version of Linux to boot from EFI in Virtualbox.

No because all the guides and the system requirements say a UEFI system is required.

I tried it and got the following error in the picture:

Also after finally extracting it to a USB flash drive I got the same error as before with EFI enabled, except it wouldn't boot to grub.
Keep in mind that I had to recreate the virtual machine for installation because USB 2.0 needed the extended drivers support and I couldn't figure out how to install it, since it keep saying insufficient permissions or something like that. Also I'm now using my Dell M6800 laptop instead of my Macbook Pro. Does anyone know what command to enter at the 2.0 shell prompt besides FS0:\EFI\BOOT\BOOTX640 or FS0:\EFI\BOOT\BOOTX64, which is what is should be even though it doesn't work either.

Last edited:
Did you format the thumb drive correctly?

To make an EFI boot able USB for UEFI Class 3 systems like the HP Gen 9 or MS Surface you need to do the following commands in diskpart:

LIS DIS (In the results your interested in the disk # of the usb.
SEL DIS X (X is the UBS disk number from above)
CLEAN
CONVERT GPT
CRE PAR PRI ID=C12A7328-F81F-11D2-BA4B-00A0C93EC93B
FOR FS=FAT32 QUICK
ASSIGN

Or older legacy systems:
CLEAN
CRE PAR PRI
ACTIVE
FOR FS=FAT32 QUICK
ASSIGN

Remember you have to run the syslinux on USB drives to make them MBR (legacy) bootable from a MS OS.

Note: I have never managed to get VirtualBox*, VMplayer, or VSphere to boot to USB drives. On my system (HP XW6600 – 6 ssd R0) the clients boot faster then USB arbiter can mount the USB drive to the VM. I just build an ISO and mount it as a DVD / CD in the VM client before boot.

Note 2: I had too many stability issues with VirtualBox so I haven’t used it in 2+ years and the last one I used did not support UEFI but the fact that yours defaulted to an EFI Shell it is behaving like UEFI class 3 server.

Did you format the thumb drive correctly?

To make an EFI boot able USB for UEFI Class 3 systems like the HP Gen 9 or MS Surface you need to do the following commands in diskpart:

CLEAN
CONVERT GPT
CRE PAR PRI ID=C12A7328-F81F-11D2-BA4B-00A0C93EC93B
FOR FS=FAT32 QUICK
ASSIGN

Or older legacy systems:
CLEAN
CRE PAR PRI
ACTIVE
FOR FS=FAT32 QUICK
ASSIGN

Remember you have to run the syslinux on USB drives to make them MBR (legacy) bootable from a MS OS.

Note: I have never managed to get VirtualBox*, VMplayer, or VSphere to boot to USB drives. On my system (HP XW6600 – 6 ssd R0) the clients boot faster then USB arbiter can mount the USB drive to the VM. I just build an ISO and mount it as a DVD / CD in the VM client before boot.

Note 2: I had too many stability issues with VirtualBox so I haven’t used it in 2+ years and the last one I used did not support UEFI but the fact that yours defaulted to an EFI Shell it is behaving like UEFI class 3 server.

The steam community doesn't say anything about what your saying and I'm formiliar with what your talking about because I did similiar steps to create a bootable Windows Installation flash drive, which doesn't work by the way and ruined one of my Lexar flash drive because it broke the chip according to Lexar who repaired or replaced it. All the steam community says is the following:

Build your own Steam Machine
SteamOS Beta is the first public release of our Linux-based operating system.
The base system draws from Debian 7, code named Debian Wheezy. Our
work builds on top of the solid Debian core and optimizes it for a living room
experience. Most of all, it is an open Linux platform that leaves you in full
control. You can take charge of your system and install new software or
content that you want.
Installing and Customizing SteamOS
What are the SteamOS Hardware Requirements?
Processor: Intel or AMD 64-bit capable processor
Memory: 4GB or more RAM
Hard Drive: 500GB or larger disk
Video Card:
NVIDIA graphics card
AMD graphics card (RADEON 8500 and later)
Intel graphics
Additional:
UEFI boot support
USB port for installation
How do I install SteamOS?
There are two different installation methods for SteamOS. The recommended method is the Default Installation method,
which is a pre-configured image-based install using CloneZilla. The other method uses Debian Installer, which allows for
customization after an automated install step. Please choose one of those methods below.
WARNING: Both installation methods will erase all content on the target computer
Default Installation
You will need to create a SteamOS System Restore USB stick to perform this install. The image provided here requires at least
a 1TB disk.
1. Download the default SteamOS beta installation
2. Format a 4GB or larger USB stick with the FAT32 filesystem. Use "SYSRESTORE" as the partition name.
3. Unzip the contents of SteamOSImage.zip to this USB stick to create the System Restore USB stick.
4. Put the System Restore USB stick in your target machine. Boot your machine and tell the BIOS to boot off the stick.
(usually something like F8, F11 or F12 will bring up the BIOS boot menu).
5. Make sure you select the UEFI entry, it may look something like "UEFI: Patriot Memory PMAP". If there is no UEFI entry,
you may need to enable UEFI support in your BIOS setup.
6. Select "Restore Entire Disk" from the GRUB menu.
7. When it is complete it will shutdown. Power on the machine to boot into your freshly re-imaged SteamOS.
Custom Installation
The second method is based on the Debian Installer. It requires additional configuration steps, but works with a smaller disk:
1. Download the custom SteamOS beta installation
2. Unzip the SteamOS.zip file to a blank, FAT32-formatted USB stick.
3. Put the USB stick in your target machine. Boot your machine and tell the BIOS to boot off the stick. (usually something
like F8, F11, or F12 will bring up the BIOS boot menu).
4. Make sure you select the UEFI entry, it may look something like "UEFI: Patriot Memory PMAP". If there is no UEFI entry,
STORE COMMUNITY ABOUT SUPPORT
Install Steam login | language
3/16/2015 SteamOS
http://store.steampowered.com/steamos/buildyourown 2/2
Get your game on Steam
© 2015 Valve Corporation. All rights reserved. All trademarks are property of their respective owners in the US and other countries.
VAT included in all prices where applicable.
Privacy Policy Legal Steam Subscriber Agreement
5. Selected "Automated install" from the menu.
6. The rest of the installation is unattended and will repartition the drive and install SteamOS.
7. After installation is complete, the system will reboot and automatically log on and install Steam. At this point an internet
connection is required. If you have an internet connection, Steam will automatically install itself. If you do not have an
internet connection (for instance, if you need to connect to a WiFi access point) you will get a popup telling you this.
Close the popup and you will get the network configuration UI where you can set up your network. Once you are
connected to the internet, close this UI and Steam will install itself.
8. After Steam finishes installing, your system will automatically reboot and create a backup of the system partition.
9. When the backup completes, select "reboot" to boot into your freshly installed SteamOS

and the drive was empty before being used, but was formatted using the FAT32 file system from the Windows GUI.

The steam community doesn't say anything about what your saying and I'm formiliar with what your talking about because I did similiar steps to create a bootable Windows Installation flash drive, which doesn't work by the way and ruined one of my Lexar flash drive because it broke the chip according to Lexar who repaired or replaced it. All the steam community says is the following:

content that you want.
Video Card:
NVIDIA graphics card
Intel graphics
Additional:
UEFI boot support
There are two different installation methods for SteamOS. The recommended method is the Default Installation method,
which is a pre-configured image-based install using CloneZilla. The other method uses Debian Installer, which allows for
customization after an automated install step. Please choose one of those methods below.
WARNING: Both installation methods will erase all content on the target computer
Default Installation
You will need to create a SteamOS System Restore USB stick to perform this install. The image provided here requires at least
a 1TB disk.
2. Format a 4GB or larger USB stick with the FAT32 filesystem. Use "SYSRESTORE" as the partition name.
3. Unzip the contents of SteamOSImage.zip to this USB stick to create the System Restore USB stick.
4. Put the System Restore USB stick in your target machine. Boot your machine and tell the BIOS to boot off the stick.
5. Make sure you select the UEFI entry, it may look something like "UEFI: Patriot Memory PMAP". If there is no UEFI entry,
7. When it is complete it will shutdown. Power on the machine to boot into your freshly re-imaged SteamOS.
Custom Installation
The second method is based on the Debian Installer. It requires additional configuration steps, but works with a smaller disk:
3. Put the USB stick in your target machine. Boot your machine and tell the BIOS to boot off the stick. (usually something
4. Make sure you select the UEFI entry, it may look something like "UEFI: Patriot Memory PMAP". If there is no UEFI entry,
3/16/2015 SteamOS
SteamOS 2/2
Get your game on Steam
© 2015 Valve Corporation. All rights reserved. All trademarks are property of their respective owners in the US and other countries.
6. The rest of the installation is unattended and will repartition the drive and install SteamOS.
7. After installation is complete, the system will reboot and automatically log on and install Steam. At this point an internet
connection is required. If you have an internet connection, Steam will automatically install itself. If you do not have an
internet connection (for instance, if you need to connect to a WiFi access point) you will get a popup telling you this.
Close the popup and you will get the network configuration UI where you can set up your network. Once you are
8. After Steam finishes installing, your system will automatically reboot and create a backup of the system partition.
9. When the backup completes, select "reboot" to boot into your freshly installed SteamOS

and the drive was empty before being used, but was formatted using the FAT32 file system from the Windows GUI.

I did have a spare thumb drive recently, but not anymore. Therefore I'm trying to make a bootable ISO, but it's not working. Here's the command I tried:

sudo mkisofs -o SteamOSbeta3.iso \ -b isolinux/isolinux.bin -c isolinux/boot.cat \ -no-emul-boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table \ CD_root

, but it won't work because it says this:

I: -input-charset not specified, using utf-8 (detected in locale settings)
genisoimage: No such file or directory. Invalid node - ' -b'.

Can anyone help me figure this out.

content that you want.
Video Card:
NVIDIA graphics card
Intel graphics
Additional:
UEFI boot support
Default Installation
a 1TB disk.
Custom Installation
3/16/2015 SteamOS
SteamOS 2/2
Get your game on Steam

Nevermind, virtual box won't detect the flashdrive and neither will VMware. I think Virtual box won't defect it because it won't detect USB 2.0 or higher though, but I don't know why VMware won't.

If you put the flashdrive in a physical machine and try to boot off it is it bootable?

I don't want or have a physical machine want to try it on because SteamOS deletes everything on the drive and takes over the computer.

I'm not advising you to install it on the physical machine, I'm advising you check that the flash drive is bootable.

This is fairly basic diagnostics.

Last edited:
I'm not advising you to install it on the physical machine, I'm advising you check that the flash drive is bootable.

This is fairly basic diagnostics.

I know, but I don't how it will react to the system and or if it just wipes out everything immediately. Therefore, I don't want to try it on my laptop and I don't know what I feel comfortable trying it on if it will.

I know, but I don't how it will react to the system and or if it just wipes out everything immediately. Therefore, I don't want to try it on my laptop and I don't know what I feel comfortable trying it on if it will.

The only time anything is going to be wiped is if you either partition or format the drive the current OS is installed on. If you're unable to perform the simple step of ensuring your boot device is, in fact, bootable than you may as well throw the towel in now as I'm fairly confident you've set that boot device up incorrectly.

Having said that, I'm fairly confident that you can mount the ISO directly under Virtual Box as I'm almost certain I've done it setting up an OS X VM.

However you seem to ask for advice and then argue the advice offered, which I find really odd?

The only time anything is going to be wiped is if you either partition or format the drive the current OS is installed on. If you're unable to perform the simple step of ensuring your boot device is, in fact, bootable than you may as well throw the towel in now as I'm fairly confident you've set that boot device up incorrectly.

Having said that, I'm fairly confident that you can mount the ISO directly under Virtual Box as I'm almost certain I've done it setting up an OS X VM.

However you seem to ask for advice and then argue the advice offered, which I find really odd?

Virtualbox is not very reliable on some linux distros. I tried to install Xubuntu 16.04 yesterday to VBox and it hanged on every attempt. Downloaded the .iso even again but no luck. So I wouldn't be surprised of SteamOS would hit problems too.

Virtualbox is not very reliable on some linux distros. I tried to install Xubuntu 16.04 yesterday to VBox and it hanged on every attempt. Downloaded the .iso even again but no luck. So I wouldn't be surprised of SteamOS would hit problems too.

I've got Virtualbox installed, but I don't use it TBH. VMware is far better software IMO.

I got Xubuntu to work with VMware, but I probably couldn't get it to work with Virtual Box. Therefore, you're probably right, but this link said they got Steam OS to work with Virtual Box:

Steam Community :: Guide :: SteamOS Basic Guide Installation on VirtualBox & VMWare Player

However, I don't know how they got it to work because the SteamOS installation disc will not boot past the EFI boot.

I finally tried a supposedly bootable USB flash drive made in Ubuntu with disks, but it wouldn't work and the iso was made with discs too in Ubuntu 16.4 LTS upgrades to Ubuntu 18.4 LTS on my Dell Precision M6800 before it died in Summer of 2018 and Dell never sent it back regardless if they agreed to send it back for $40 and then wanted more money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back