Steam wont connect?

before i went to bed it was working, now i just woke up and it doesnt connect but my internet is working perfectly fine. Is any one else having issues?

o_O Not for me, I just closed Steam and it connected fine. Servers are showing up too

Steam has been down for at least 8 hours here, and appears to still be down or the majority of the people. There forums are also taking a massive hit now and timing out most of the time.

If i check my servers using HLSW they show avg 1-2 people on all day, there normally full from around 10:00GMT , till close to midnight, so some people are getting on, but most aint. Quite disappointing in this day/age, that they only appear to have 1 set of auth servers, or that all there auth servers are located in the same place.

Whats the point in having lots of content servers spread worldwide (like steam does), if your main auth server fails and almost everybody is left with no way of playing games they paid for :(

According to the forums:

There is currently a wide spread power outage in Bellevue/Seattle impacting Steam Server availability. Unfortunately ETA for when the power will be restored is unknown as the power company will only work on restoring it once the storm has eased and the high winds have died down.

Valve will have to do something else, rather than wait for power. Its all ready been reported that power will not be fully restored to the area for some days, and i would like to think there's more important places that will get power first.

Valve should either have a set of auth servers located in a different country to get around these issues, or have a fast disaster/recovery plan........at the moment, its quite evident that they dont have either.

GOD DAMN IT.........:mad: :mad:

I have not played Cs:S all semester and my finals ended yesterday. I was gonna play today all day and now this ......F**K F**K F*******************************************************K :mad:

Guess i'll go out and pickup Rainbow 6 Vegas..

Toytown said:
Valve should either have a set of auth servers located in a different country to get around these issues, or have a fast disaster/recovery plan........at the moment, its quite evident that they dont have either.

I would think that they would at least have some sort of backup generator. :shrug:

lol I think we have established from the 3rd post that steam is down.

Valve has shown that they don't feel that they are consistently obligated to provide their services to paying customers. It's a shame, but that's how it's always been with them. They've decided that rather than solely offer products, they'll offer services as well, but with absolutely no guarantee pertaining to the usability or the consistent functionality of those services.

Is it just me, or is it getting far easier to be a pessimist these days?

They've decided that rather than solely offer products, they'll offer services as well

Well at the moment, they don't offer anything at all, not only cannot you not play the games you have paid for, but you also cannot even use steam to get new games, so everything there offering is gone.......except there forums (which are almost unusable right now).

I can't believe they don't have backup servers for at least authing and server browsing, what a joke!

LOL, somehow this doesn't surprise me, but seriously, who would've thought that there would be a giant power outage like that. I'm sure disaster recovery is in place, like backup plans. Eh, it'll come back eventually.

FlatLine84 said:
LOL, somehow this doesn't surprise me, but seriously, who would've thought that there would be a giant power outage like that. I'm sure disaster recovery is in place, like backup plans. Eh, it'll come back eventually.

A good DR plan would account for such an outage, and the servers would not have gone down at all (or for a very short period of time). For a company that relies on their servers/computers to make money, keeping them running is critical. Even having a backup generator would give them enough time to get a more long-term power solution in place.

Honestly I think the best approach for something like this is to have the servers hosted at a data center they can trust, and if possible multiple servers in geographically diverse locations.

Toytown said:

The problem is that those auth servers contain literally millions of user information and credit cards. Having those in a different country can be a security risk.

Mine's back up (Phoenix Arizona)

It's probably not going to be much longer until everything's working again.

Having those in a different country can be a security risk.

Why is it more of a risk when its located in a different country?

The problem is that those auth servers contain literally millions of user information and credit cards?

The auth servers at there basic level only need to authorise the user to login to steam and see his games, so that he can play, if there was a redudant auth server located in another country, surely it could have something like "UserName/Password/Games" or some very very basic info like that.

If the redundant auth servers could only confirm the login and the players games, then that would be pretty much fine 99% for gamers, during disasters like this.

lets all post updates:

michigan: no go

ohio what is your status?

I am currently connected to Steam (Texas). It is a recent development. My cable service went down for about 30 seconds and it worked when it came back up.

NW Montana never went down (for me anyways) ..tho there was a bit of "warping" on the server I was playing on last nite

[F]old|[H]ard

logan1 said:
I dont think VAC is working; none of the servers are secure.

Great now on the FF servers its gonna be kill the haxors!!!!111 or kill everyone you see!!!!111

Back