STEAM Weekend Deal: Team Fortress 2 (PC) $9.99

*SHAZBOT!* (hides in corner with disclauncher..)

Hahaha... I started with Tribes 2 and had a lot of fun, could never get into Tribes 1 though...

Tribes 2 was fun as hell when it first came out, Tribes Vengeance was fun but disappointing, vehicles were useless and the community was dead in comparison to Tribes 2 at release time...

Great game. I've logged over 22 days, 8 hours of game time on this bad boy since I picked it up. It takes a bit to get use to, coming from a former CS guy, but is quite fun.

Yea Tribes 2 was amazing at release, part of the reason I was put on academic probation my freshman year, along with alcohol and its friends.

I was the opposite, I started with Tribes and could never enjoy the other's... I still have the original hiding away in some long lost directory of backup of backup of a harddrive.... =)

Heh, well it turned out I downloaded the Tribes 1 Demo and was playing around with it and thought "this is fun, I'll go buy a copy" and swing into gamestop to find out Tribes 2 just released that day (I had no clue) so I picked that up instead. And glad I did, ever since then I tried to play Tribes 1 but never could get into it... movement/shooting everything was so awkward compared to Tribes 2 which felt way better.

I'm right with ya there buddy.

First week or so I thought it was gods gift to mankind.

2 or 3 weeks in to it now. In retrospect it wasn't THAT great of a gift but still a solid game.

Needs more weapons and maps really badly though. And it would be nice if my acheivements actually registered :p

Thank you!

You must be fairly good at real MP shooters like 1.6 and Call of Duty 4.

I salute thee.

And for whoever said all COD... have you even played World at War? Just Call of Duty 4 ranks up in Tier 1. Infinity Ward did a great job even though 3 frag grenades per person can be a bit much at times.

hey hey its everyones opinion, i dont think you can compare l4d to tf2. Even if you did, tf2 is ahead because its been out a lot longgerrrrrrrrrrr then l4d. How bout that?

TF2 is worth $50 still id say. Its one the best games to come out in the past 5 years....

At this price, its a steal.......I dont even know how anyone could NOT buy the game.

If your computer is struggling with TF2, this will help.

http://www.fpsbanana.com/tuts/6659

He doesn't mention that after you launch the game once with -dxlevel 81, next time you quit out, you should remove it. It'll remain in directx 8 until you reset it by putting -autoconfig into launch options. At least i think it's autoconfig. Don't feel like looking it up.

Anyways, 100fps with 800x600 res at 100hz CRT, noforce commands, mouse fix, QcK pad, Mx518 400dpi, rate 25000, cl_cmdrate 101, cl_updaterate 101, fps_max 101, windows default mouse speed setting, enhance precision off = hacker accusations all night long.

I was the opposite, I started with Tribes and could never enjoy the other's... I still have the original hiding away in some long lost directory of backup of backup of a harddrive.... =)

IMHO tribes 1 was a bit too plain for me, however the renegade mod made it one of my favorite games of all time. Same goes with BF1942, the desert combat mod did the same thing

TF2, Tribe w/renegade mod and BF1942:desert combat are all more or less tied for my top game spot

If your computer is struggling with TF2, this will help.

http://www.fpsbanana.com/tuts/6659

He doesn't mention that after you launch the game once with -dxlevel 81, next time you quit out, you should remove it. It'll remain in directx 8 until you reset it by putting -autoconfig into launch options. At least i think it's autoconfig. Don't feel like looking it up.

Anyways, 100fps with 800x600 res at 100hz CRT, noforce commands, mouse fix, QcK pad, Mx518 400dpi, rate 25000, cl_cmdrate 101, cl_updaterate 101, fps_max 101, windows default mouse speed setting, enhance precision off = hacker accusations all night long.

That tutorial is crap.

http://www.tweakguides.com/HL2_1.html

That link is a bit harder ton understand, but it displays every command that you can change to add better fps.

If you know even somewhat what your doing, you can get your cfg file to run faster then that cheap config you posted.

Why is it that a lot of hardcore competitive gamers play at 800x600, when they have the hardware to push 1600x1200? Can you see enemies better? I never quite got that...

I always thought it was related to hitboxes. Cause now the pixels are bigger, the hitboxes have to compensate too. You can be "off" on a headshot if you were running at 2560 x 1600, but at 800 x 600 it looks like you were on him, so the game counts it as a real hit.

I don't remember, but I knew it gave them a small advantage, just like all those console settings, using a CRT, and all that other stuff. Whether it helps or not who knows, I'd rather play at 2560 x 1600 on a 30" screen and have fun then worry about all that kinda stuff.

Why is it that a lot of hardcore competitive gamers play at 800x600, when they have the hardware to push 1600x1200? Can you see enemies better? I never quite got that...
because the hitboxes are effectively bigger like the previous guy said, with a low resolution you force them to be be rounded up to the next pixel. Plus the xhair in CSS is only a pixel thick and at high resolutions it gets to the point where you have to aim too much. And low relosutions allow you to use high refresh rates of 120+ hz which is essential for many people who hate LCD. I use 960x600@150hz for CSS even though my FW900 can go much higher and I score much better.

Yeah it's nice to just have fun and not worry about all of it.

Yesterday, I decided to just "play for fun" with some friends even though I didn't have my computer setup for games. I was managing about 8 kills per full arena round (an entire set) and it was ok because we were having fun. But then, I decided to unplug my LCD monitor, setup the CRT to 100hz, and get one of those fps configs, etc.

Oh man, those first 2 minutes were fantastic! 4-7 straight headshots at a time. 8 kills in 30 seconds rather than 30 minutes. But then... you start getting pissed when you miss a shot you should've hit. You start wondering whether your sensitivity is off by .02 or if your refresh rate isn't at 100hz. And then you start recording demos to try and beat your personal record and the whole concept of fun is out the window.

Anyways, the low resolution thing for me personally is just what feels best. And because I'm on a CRT, it's not as big of a visual detriment as it would be using non-native on an LCD. I'll use high resolutions in games just for "fun" but in games where I actually need some consistent performance like CS, CoD4, TF2 I'll use 640x or 800x. 1.6 is where it started. Everyone used to play on 640x and 800x and as the years went by people just stuck by it. Back then, the CRTs couldn't handle 100hz+ at 1024x or 1280x so it was 640 or 800.

It's not one particular thing that makes it work. You've just got to get in game after setting everything up and see if it feels right. Constant 100fps? How does it feel when you swipe 180's and move your crosshairs back and forth across the screen. Do your reflex shots feel accurate? Is everything crisp, smooth, and sexy like 100hz should be? That is something you're always thankful for when you come back to CRTs after a stint with LCDs. Even though you got used to playing on 60z and you love the better clarity and colors of LCD, it's just a breath of fresh air.

For competitive gamers it's only what you need. And you don't need textures, anti-aliasing, or extra pixels. It's not pretty (to some) but if it works, it works.

1.6 is where it started. Everyone used to play on 640x and 800x and as the years went by people just stuck by it. Back then, the CRTs couldn't handle 100hz+ at 1024x or 1280x so it was 640 or 800.
bingo. in CS and CSS everyone in competition runs 100 rates and to do that you need to maintain 100fps. To see 100fps you need 100hz, to get 100hz back in the day on crappy CRTs (which were still expensive btw), you needed to use 640x or 800x. That was only the beginning, when CRTs that could do 150 or 160hz at 640x or 800x became affordable everyone jumped on them and now you have people who maintain 200+ fps while playing on 160hz resolutions with 1000hz mice using extremely low sensitivity on 30 inch mouse pads and they have the reflexes of a cat and accuracy that will make you want to retire from gaming.

/bite

TF2 for $10? Now, if only The Orange Box was $20 for the PC, I could continue the HL2 story and play this Portal everyone's been talking about. P:

Thanks, can't wait to play this game. This is going to be a busy winter vacation. Got LD4 on the way, started playing Fallout 3 and now this. Wow :)

/bite

TF2 for $10? Now, if only The Orange Box was $20 for the PC, I could continue the HL2 story and play this Portal everyone's been talking about. P:

Eh, orange box is $30 now which is a good deal, I paid $50 and only played portal (Got 5~ hours out of portal cause I never really replayed it) but got 200 hours out of TF2...

Got maybe 20-30 hours out of L4D right now... Farcry 2 was the worst $50 I spent... got 1 hour out of it and don't plan on going back... :eek:

Here's an idea: Let's stop comparing TF2 to L4D since they're completely different games aiming for a completely different playing experience.

It's like saying Mario Cart sucks in comparison to Need For Speed.

Here's an idea: Let's stop comparing TF2 to L4D since they're completely different games aiming for a completely different playing experience.

It's like saying Mario Cart sucks in comparison to Need For Speed.

Correction, Mario Cart is awesome in comparison to Need For Speed.

so many cheaters on TF2 I asked them for refund they wont give it to me, this sucks.

L4D is awsome.

lol wut.

I've witnessed only a couple cheaters, 1 guy was blatantly aimbotting (He'd do instant 180's on cloaked spies 100feet behind him and have the spazziest aim ever locking onto targets 100feet away instead of right in front of him)

Nobody else seemed to notice because it wasn't that game changing... we still won... I could see it being annoying with snipers, but again, not game changing...

anyone have guest pass that i could use?
i would like to try this game out.

I'm not sure how L4D came up into comparison to TF2. There isn't any, they both are different genres of games dedicated to different people.

Besides that point, I quickly bought this game as I've been wanting to play this, and hell 10 bux? That's cheaper entertainment than going to a movie.

Back