Steam: Trine 75% Off = $5.00

looks lame. Hell outdated at that by the screen shots. Graphics are early to mid 90s at best and it looks as if it were on a xbox system or one gen earlier console. Who makes 2d games anymore besides companies for kiddies on the Wii?

At least that's what it looked like to me on the 2 or so SS I looked at.

Great game for $5.00. Nice change of pace from the usual.

looks lame. Hell outdated at that by the screen shots. Graphics are early to mid 90s at best and it looks as if it were on a xbox system or one gen earlier console. Who makes 2d games anymore besides companies for kiddies on the Wii?

Graphics are very nice, perhaps the screens don't do it justice. Don't get me wrong, it's "cartoony"...but it's supposed to be.

I did get this a long time ago, and for $5.

These Steam sale re-hashes are getting tiresome.
No joke. It would be nice to see decent games for 50-75% off. More modern/newer games. Heck the occasional New release would be great to see also. Especially with the holidays coming up. Heck Black Ops is out in a few days. Would be nice to see a real year old price on COD MW2.

I would like to say though several levels into Black Ops on the 360 and its a completely different ball game. I really don't like the way they went with it being a whole interrogation story playout. What the hell happend to being assigned missions and going at it. :rolleyes:

Its alot harder then Medal of Honor though. Seems longer already too. UPDATE. Well I say seems longer. Considering I'm done with it and it has the crappiest ending for any COD game with some surreal looking group of US ships and crap at the end. How damn lame! The numbers the numbers. Get these numbers outa my head. WTF? COD is going to crap!

Anyone ever seen Fallout 3 stuff go on sale? It would be nice to see GOTY edition for cheap. Cheap before I pick it up on a deal at a local Half Price Books on the 6th for 40% off. I tucked it away in a nice place to bypass their rediculous used price. :rolleyes: I don't know whats with these companies that deal in used stuff, but they try to get new prices for things sometimes.

Last edited:
If the economy ever picks up again or people stop impulse buying these low prices, some people are in for a horrible disappointment on price.

It used to take a couple of years after initial publishing for a game to even reach 1/2 price if it didn't suck.

75% off within a six months of publishing, like this game, is going bye-bye once the economy picks up.

Trine is a fantastic game. It's definitely a 3D game with a 2D perspective.

On a side note, if you have a 3D monitor, it's a MUST HAVE. The 3D in Trine is excellent!!!

Try the demo. I thought it looked lame until I tried the demo. Lots of recommendations here on hardforum are what brought me to try it.

I got it last year when it was on sale. I played it for a bit, but the redundant gameplay prevented me from finishing it. I may fire it up again sometime when I am looking to kill some time.

Bought! Looks sweet.. plus i have 3D for even better hehe.. Hope 3D surround looks good. Sucks i gota wait for my new Step up MB from Evga to get here in prob a week or so before i can try it on 3D.

I personally loved this game. Play some coop (local machine) if you can. Worth every penny of $5.

I think I have ... a problem.

I saw this deal, tried to buy it, but it was revealed by Steam that I already own it. :( :p

Would multiplayer work over a lan? Just wondering cause if so i'll pick up another copy for 2 PCs.

This game is totally worth $5

The game it can best be compared to from the past is the Lost Vikings. Except this game is better because your characters don't die in one hit leaving you unable to complete the level.

To the people ripping on it for it's graphics, you lead me to believe one of two things. The first is that you aren't an old enough gamer to be into 2D platform-style gaming (Fine, not your fault). The second is that you are a spoiled graphics-whore, who won't give certains titles a chance based on their appearance (Shame on you). :p

GOD, ONLY 75% OFF? WHAT A FUCKING RIP. Sorry but I have to come on here every once and a while and tell some of you to get a grip. Game is fun, for $5 it's a no brainer.

Very cool game for $5, I bought it a while ago for about the same price, yes it's 2D, I don't see why that has to be a bad thing, but the graphics are not bad, it's actually pretty demanding for a 2D game. I haven't played for very long, been waiting to get it setup on the HTPC to play coop on the big screen instead.

ya far more like lost vikings then anything else. it is classic style 2D side scroller with 3D world for eye candy. just try the demo before you consider buying it. i am sure it is not for everyone but if you played any classes 2D side scrollers chances are you will like it.

If you think that looks like an "early to mid 90s" 2d game you probably aren't old enough to have actually played one.

Would multiplayer work over a lan? Just wondering cause if so i'll pick up another copy for 2 PCs.

Multiplayer refers to using the same machine with multiple controllers, i.e. KB + game controller(s)

If you think that looks like an "early to mid 90s" 2d game you probably aren't old enough to have actually played one.

I own an atari and a colecovision. The few ss I looked at appeared like old school street fighter or mortal kombat type graphics and style of game play. Very dated to say the least.

It is in no way immersive to today's standards and looks very poor quality. To each their own though.

+1 for trine. I played through all of it with eyefinity (yes it works, but the 2D HUD is stretched).

I own an atari and a colecovision. The few ss I looked at appeared like old school street fighter or mortal kombat type graphics and style of game play. Very dated to say the least.

It is in no way immersive to today's standards and looks very poor quality. To each their own though.

By definition I've never thought a 2D scroller could be immersive. Fun and addictive perhaps, but not immersive. (by the way, the graphics are light years ahead of old school Street Fighter).

If someone wants immersive they need to stick with FPS's and racing/flight sims.

If someone wants something a little different and fun with very good 2D graphics then this might be up your alley. Like you said, "To each their own".

I don't know about the screenshots, but Trine's graphics are fantastic when playing the actual game. It also uses an awesome implementation of physics to solve puzzles.

Trine is an outstanding game. Very original gameplay and puzzles and the graphics are actually very impressive without being overly demanding.

I've seen it for $5 before, but it's totally worth the price. +1 go buy it if you've never played it.

The graphics are actually pretty nice. Also not everyone can play FPS games without getting headaches. So until there's some drugs out there that actually work to fix my brain, I'll have to stick to isometric and 2D games.

Wow, and I thought I was a graphics whore, I think the game looks damn nice and is a lot of fun, I play it with my 8 yr old daughter, great game, look forward to the next one.

Trine 2 screenshots:

5.jpg

6.jpg

The graphics are actually pretty nice. Also not everyone can play FPS games without getting headaches. So until there's some drugs out there that actually work to fix my brain, I'll have to stick to isometric and 2D games.

All games? If you've only tried a small number of games, the issue could be head bobbing.

Wow, and I thought I was a graphics whore, I think the game looks damn nice and is a lot of fun, I play it with my 8 yr old daughter, great game, look forward to the next one.

Trine 2 screenshots:
Those don't look too bad. Maybe its because the resolution of them were so small or it was just the few I looked at on Steam.

Those don't look too bad. Maybe its because the resolution of them were so small or it was just the few I looked at on Steam.
There's a glowie haze effect used often that makes the graphics look blurred. Its a feature.

Personally I wish they'd dial it down a bit.

No joke. It would be nice to see decent games for 50-75% off. More modern/newer games. Heck the occasional New release would be great to see also. Especially with the holidays coming up. Heck Black Ops is out in a few days. Would be nice to see a real year old price on COD MW2.

Anyone ever seen Fallout 3 stuff go on sale? It would be nice to see GOTY edition for cheap. Cheap before I pick it up on a deal at a local Half Price Books on the 6th for 40% off. I tucked it away in a nice place to bypass their rediculous used price. :rolleyes: I don't know whats with these companies that deal in used stuff, but they try to get new prices for things sometimes.

CoD4: MW is still $30. It had been at least $40 before that. CoD games rarely go on much of a sale.

Steam has had a couple times where Fallout 3 GoTY has been on sale. I know it was on sale this summer and again a couple weeks back when they had a Bethesda week.

Also, +1 for Trine. Great game. Highly recommend it.

I picked this up last time it was $5 and beat it after a few hours. It's fun and there is a sequel coming out, February 2011 IIRC. Deffinitely recommend getting it to break up the monotony of most modern games.

I love Mario Bros, Donkey Kong Country, old school Castlevania etc.

It would seem from first glance that we are in the minority. You see, that's what happens when a great place becomes overrun by spoiled little kiddies who wouldn't know good gaming if it crawled right up and bit them in the ass. I love how one of the first responders referred to '2D' games as 'dated'. It's little snots like that who wouldn't fare 30 seconds in Mario Bros., Contra, Sonic, Castlevania, Metroid etc... and they would be totally clueless in front of a beast like the Atari 2600 or 7800.

It's sort of sad, really.... :(

Saw this deal at work, went home to buy it and it expired. Sigh. Well, I will keep me eye out for the next time it comes up on sale.

Back