Steam Tax Coming to Ten Countries and More on the Way

I feel bad for the Australians who not only have to now pay tax but are still also stuck paying for games in US dollars on Steam.

Icelandic sales tax ( and many Scandinavian nations, VAT and the like ) have some exceptions/remittances depending on what you buy and other circumstances including your income. Now there may be some argument regarding Steam, location of which you are purchasing etc... but I'd happy pay a 24% sales tax on certain products if I had cost-free collegiate education, no/minimal health care premiums that actually covered top quality care, lower (proportional) cost healthful foods due to beneficial agriculture subsidy, and other services taxes go toward in Iceland , as well as greater revenue thanks to fewer loopholes for the top 1% to slip out of paying their share. Its also worthwhile that Iceland was one of the only nations that handled the fallout from the recession in 2008 correctly, punishing the corrupt banks and bankers involved beyond a slap on the wrist. 24% seems like a lot, but considering that other areas of taxation are actually lower and the services you receive are much better, that kind of paradigm is beneficial and appreciated by many who reside within.

Edit: My source on this is a friend who's family is involved in farming/production of traditional "Skyr", a unique cultured milk/yogurt.

You forgot to add they held foreign investors money hostage. I any foreign investor were to withdraw their money at the time there would have been a 39% exit tax. It was total bs and if you think it was only just the banks and bankers that caused the collapse you are crazy. Of course the government wasn't going to prosecute any of it's people for the mess.

Icelandic sales tax ( and many Scandinavian nations, VAT and the like ) have some exceptions/remittances depending on what you buy and other circumstances including your income. Now there may be some argument regarding Steam, location of which you are purchasing etc... but I'd happy pay a 24% sales tax on certain products if I had cost-free collegiate education, no/minimal health care premiums that actually covered top quality care, lower (proportional) cost healthful foods due to beneficial agriculture subsidy, and other services taxes go toward in Iceland , as well as greater revenue thanks to fewer loopholes for the top 1% to slip out of paying their share. Its also worthwhile that Iceland was one of the only nations that handled the fallout from the recession in 2008 correctly, punishing the corrupt banks and bankers involved beyond a slap on the wrist. 24% seems like a lot, but considering that other areas of taxation are actually lower and the services you receive are much better, that kind of paradigm is beneficial and appreciated by many who reside within.

Edit: My source on this is a friend who's family is involved in farming/production of traditional "Skyr", a unique cultured milk/yogurt.

24% seems like a metric ton when its coupled with the 37-49% income tax rate as well.

Back