Steam Stream Server Spec Question

WldWzl

Limp Gawd
I recently decided to setup a dedicated computer to run Steam stream. I had an older HTPC setup that I added a GTX 970 to and so far so good, but I am curious if I will run into a bottleneck based on the CPU and memory I have running in the box.

The box is running an Intel i3-2105 with 4GB of RAM I presume the majority of the required horsepower is being provided by the video card, but wanted some feedback.

Really depends on the game, Steam will use NVENC to do streaming so the video encoding gets largely handled by the video card. But on some games or if it doesn't work on one particular game that processor will be a serious bottleneck.

So looking at a new i5 may be a good idea then, to have a broader level of support for games?

I can't tell if you're streaming from or to the "older HTPC". If it's too, then that should be plenty - you can always show the statistics to see how things are going.

I stream from my desktop to an E-350 APU box - no discrete GPU at all. If this can handle it fine, I sure hope an i3 w/ a 970 would...

If you're streaming from, then it's really game dependent - some folks might think an i3-2105 won't be enough to play locally, let alone stream.

Back