Steam, Origin DDoSed?

HardOCP News

[H] News
Having problems connecting to Steam and Origin today? You are not alone.

Steam is suffering from connectivity issues, and attempts to use various aspects of Valve's online service return "118" errors, which say: "Unable to connect to server. Server may be offline or you may not be connected to the internet." Shacknews notes a pair of twitter users are claiming to be behind the Steam outage, but Valve has not yet officially responded to the situation.

Figures :/ guess that's what I get for trying to craft my christmas sale badge at the last minute.

I wonder if this is why Steam was down yesterday evening as well.

As for the people participating in the DDOS, they should be banned for life from using a computer.

Welcome to yesterday. Steam is fine now.

No it's not, been trying to login for the past 30 minutes and it's been giving me.

Error Code: - 118
Unable to connect to server. Server may be offline or you may not be connected to the internet.

Well I've been trying to access the market in Washington D.C. and I get.

A communication error occurred: "Operation timed out"

I live in Miami but office ISP directs to D.C.

Yeah, this is definitely in the now ... people that do stuff like this should definitely suffer the Death of a Thousand Paper Cuts ... it's only fair ;)

Welcome to yesterday. Steam is fine now.

Define "Steam". Steam store works. Anything else (community, market, inventory) doesn't. I am trying to load my inventory and profile page through the whole day, i still don't know what someone offered me in the one pending order and what is the one comment someone sent to me.

All seems to be working fine here. Sorry for those having trouble, especially since the sale stuff is ending very soon.

What the fuck is the purpose of a DDoS again?

Probably hackers trying to get a hold of that Half Life 3 source code

origin has been getting ddos for a while now. why? seems like tech on tech griefing for no real purpose other than being dicks.

Maybe the real story is that Steam and Origin are having a DDoS battle between each other.

Someone out there really hates PC gaming or something :confused:

I still can't access my inventory, only the store page. Looks like Steam is still partially up. As for Origin, I still can't log in.

from the article: "Likewise, Polygon notes hacking group DERP is taking responsibility/credit for knocking EA's Origin offline"

EA, really? Are they sure it wasn't just a strong wind?

I can't access the inventory and the store page is hell slow and sometimes errors on me... but my games still launch.

yeah i didnt have a problem playing tf2 and alan wake yesterday. store was pretty good but inventory was hit and miss.

Probably wasn't DDoS. Most likely problem with AWS -- or weather related outage.

pretty huge takedowns! I'm just not sure why?

I can't think of many people who would want to see Steam go down.

Kaz_Hirai.jpg

from what i saw its a pissing contest between two people or two camps of annon ass-hats

This is a perfect example of why people who, through negligence, allow their computers to become compromised need to be held liable for any activities that are done with it.

This is a perfect example of why people who, through negligence, allow their computers to become compromised need to be held liable for any activities that are done with it.

What does this have to do with Steam?

i think he's saying that the DDoSs came from hackers hacking into hundreds or thousands of computers and running a distributed computing program on them to attack steam. didnt rtfa but i assume this is what it said.

Because Steam is being DDoSed by computers that have been compromised. The owners of those computers should be held liable for failure to properly maintain and secure their computers.

Because Steam is being DDoSed by computers that have been compromised. The owners of those computers should be held liable for failure to properly maintain and secure their computers.

So on one hand you find it unfair that people who support pirating and show links to torrents are OK, but if you have an infected PC you should get in trouble for that? Wait whut.

Ahh, so what due diligence would you suggest Damicatz?

I'll tell you were this leads and let you think on it and decide if that is really where you want to go.

Step one, (As you suggest), the individual is responsible.
Step two, He is now liable unless he has taken reasonable steps at prevention/protection.
Step Three, The Government must post the standards that the individual must live up to ...
or ... The individual pays a 3rd party "licensed" service, and essentially no longer has real control over his computer because the 3rd Party is accepting the risks so he will become your Administrator.

Or we can just catch and punish the assholes who are doing the damage, it's not like they aren't leaving some bread crumbs to follow.

Back