Steam Link now supports playing Steam VR games wirelessly on Meta Quest headsets

Armenius

Extremely [H]
Looks like a NVIDIA GPU is required?

https://steamcommunity.com/games/593110/announcements/detail/3823053915991825336

Steam said:
We're excited to announce the streaming technology of Steam Link is now available on the Meta Quest 2, 3, and Pro, allowing you to wirelessly play VR games from your Steam library.

Steam Link is a free app that uses the power of your PC to stream Steam games onto phones, tablets, and TVs — and now, on Meta Quest.

Before you begin: You'll need a router with a wired connection to your PC, and a 5GHz WiFi network for your headset.

Getting started
  • Make sure Steam and SteamVR are installed and running on your PC
    • Note: You may need to restart Steam to confirm you are running the latest version of Steam and SteamVR
  • Connect your headset to the same network as your PC
  • Download the free Steam Link app to your headset.
  • The app will walk you through wirelessly connecting your computer to your headset.
Minimum requirements
Before you connect, make sure you have:
  • Wi-Fi: 5 GHz minimum, wired connection to PC
  • GPUs: NVIDIA (GTX970 or better)
  • Headset: Meta Quest 2, 3, or Pro
Recommended (but not required): A broadband internet connection with Wi-Fi 6 or Wi-Fi 6E, and a computer with at least 16 GB RAM and NVIDIA GPU, RTX2070 or better.

It works really well. The foveated compression works really well with my Quest Pro eye tracking, I basically couldn't see it. I do have an extremely good Wifi 6E router and a 4090, so basically as high end as you can get for this. Extremely low latency and solid frame rate, no stutters or anything.

But Virtual Desktop looks noticably cleaner with better colors. Also I'm guessing VD probably handles things better if you can't get as solid of a framerate or don't have as good of wifi because of the spacewarp and other options you can tweak built into it. It probably won't be long until the VD guy adds foveated compression. He's pretty quick about adding any new ideas or tech.

I am guessing this will take a few iterations to get right. Haven't tested it myself yet, but a few people I know said it works ok but stutters a little.

Played a little bit and it was really good - also I used to get nauseous pretty quick with my old setup (using a wired cable), but after the roughly 10 minutes in there, I didn't feel the nausea at all.

Just had a crash in Alyx, not sure what the cause was on that, but felt just as smooth as my old wired connection.

My main PC has a 1080Ti and use it for PCVR. Steam Link would not detect it. It detected my media PC with a 970 with steam running Had to install SteamVR on the media PC to make it work just to test. Steam Home seemed to run quite smoothly.
Nothing I did could I get it to recognize my main PC. Only difference is the media PC doesnt have occulus software while the main PC does.
VD and AirLink work fine with the main PC.

My main PC has a 1080Ti and use it for PCVR. Steam Link would not detect it. It detected my media PC with a 970 with steam running Had to install SteamVR on the media PC to make it work just to test. Steam Home seemed to run quite smoothly.
Nothing I did could I get it to recognize my main PC. Only difference is the media PC doesnt have occulus software while the main PC does.
VD and AirLink work fine with the main PC.
Do you have Remote Play enabled on Steam? I heard people have the same problem but Remote Play was disabled.
1701452751171.png

Also it was a bit annoying to get the sound to come through my headset. I had to change my audio device in windows sound settings to my headset, then restart steam to get it to work. With VD and Airplay that's autoamtic.

Thanks. Will check when I get home. Have not looked at settings in steam for a long time.

Back