Steam Issue, Max Payne 1 & 2 don't work

Hulk

Supreme [H]ardness
So I bought Max Payne 1 & 2 during the Christmas sale. Both downloaded fine but when I go to open them neither one works. Task Manager states that both games are open but there is no window or anything, it's like the game isn't running. I am running Win 7. I emailed STEAM about the problem and asked them nicely for a refund and they won't even give me my money back. I felt insulted because they sold games that don't even work and won't refund my money and they must think I am trying to steal their games?

Anyone know how to make Max Payne 1 & 2 work with Win 7? I googled and tried various options and nothing worked. I'm just pissed off that they won't refund my $5, I know it's not a lot of money but it's the principle that counts.:mad:

max payne 1 clearly says in the requirements, OS: Microsoft® Windows® 2000/XP (only)

doesnt say only for max payne 2 however, thats not to say there isnt a tweak some where to get them working in windows 7 you might find one in google space some where.

its pretty well known that steam wont give refunds to people that dont read the requirements. atleast for payne 1 they shouldnt give you the money back but you have a case for max payne 2 since it doesnt say (only) next to the OS requirement,

15 seconds of Google got me this:

"I had this problem and searched far and wide for a fix. What did it for me was to go to my 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Max Payne' folder, right click 'maxpayne.exe', go to the Compatibility tab at the top of the new dialog box, check 'Run this program in compatibility mode for:' and select 'Windows 98 / Windows Me'. I also selected 'Run this program as an administrator', but I think compatibility mode has to be set first.

tldr; set compatibility mode for maxpayne.exe in the max payne directory to Windows 98/Windows ME + run as administrator.

This was for Max Payne 1, but I'm guessing the same could apply for Max Payne 2. "

I don't remember having trouble with MP2, but I had to use something to cap my FPS because it fucked up my mouse sensitivity otherwise.

When you run either game, it will open a configuration page that lets you adjust your video settings. Then you press Launch inside that window and the game starts. I didn't have any problems of this nature but good luck to you. I also purchased these two games during the Christmas sale and already beat them. They're great fun, although MP1 is frustrating because the enemies are perfect shots with hair triggers.

Once you get MP1 working, use this to fix the audio problems. http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=848215

15 seconds of Google got me this:

"I had this problem and searched far and wide for a fix. What did it for me was to go to my 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Max Payne' folder, right click 'maxpayne.exe', go to the Compatibility tab at the top of the new dialog box, check 'Run this program in compatibility mode for:' and select 'Windows 98 / Windows Me'. I also selected 'Run this program as an administrator', but I think compatibility mode has to be set first.

tldr; set compatibility mode for maxpayne.exe in the max payne directory to Windows 98/Windows ME + run as administrator.

This was for Max Payne 1, but I'm guessing the same could apply for Max Payne 2. "

Definitely try this, seems likely.

Unless Steam's DRM has been changed recently if you set the game to run as administrator you will have to set Steam to run as administrator as well or you'll get an error message that the game can't find Steam and it won't launch. At least that has been my experience.

So I bought Max Payne 1 & 2 during the Christmas sale. Both downloaded fine but when I go to open them neither one works. Task Manager states that both games are open but there is no window or anything, it's like the game isn't running.
I think I had the same issue. If I remember right, they launched two processes on startup (maxpayne.exe and something else). It was just a matter of killing one or the other (or maybe both?) of these and trying again.

I play MP1 and MP2 on Win7 without problem. Used to have the audio problem but the fix on steam's forum fixed it for me.

If I remember I did change the shortcut for the .exe.... not sure tho.

But I can assure you that MP1 can be played with win7 since I do it.

I play MP1 and MP2 on Win7 without problem. Used to have the audio problem but the fix on steam's forum fixed it for me.

If I remember I did change the shortcut for the .exe.... not sure tho.

But I can assure you that MP1 can be played with win7 since I do it.

This. I played through both before I played 3. I just used the compatability mode set as XP. Worked with no issues.

Unless Steam's DRM has been changed recently if you set the game to run as administrator you will have to set Steam to run as administrator as well or you'll get an error message that the game can't find Steam and it won't launch. At least that has been my experience.

Even better: install (or move) Steam to C:\Steam\ so you don't have UAC messing with Steam or any of the older games you have installed within Steam.

Back to OP's issue: some games don't install properly if Steam didn't have admin rights or was moved out of UAC control, so have Steam uninstall the game (delete local content), set Steam as administrator or move Steam to C:\, then re-install the game.

Even better: install (or move) Steam to C:\Steam\ so you don't have UAC messing with Steam or any of the older games you have installed within Steam.

I've had steam installed to the root of c: since I moved to win 7 but I still get that error if a game is set to run as admin and steam isn't. My understanding is that steam's drm looks to see if steam is running before launching the game but it can't or won't find it if the process is running on a different access ring.

Back