Steam in-home streaming issue

Lunar

Limp Gawd
So, here's a weird one. I broke my steam link out the other night as I haven't used it in probably over a year, and wanted to see how well it works on Linux. The good news is that it works great outside of one small issue. Controller inputs aren't passed to the host machine, kinda.

Before I get into what's happening, the host machine is as follows:
Specs are in my signature.
Kubuntu 18.10
Current Steam beta
Using xpad kernel module
Xbox 360 wired controller

Ok, so now to what's happening. I can connect to my linux Steam host using the Link without issue. The controller navigates big picture on the host machine without any problems, and when I go into settings, the controller is being passed to the host correctly as it shows it as an Xbox 260 Wired Controller. This would leave one thinking everything is fine. However, the controller doesn't work in any game. Native or Steam Play. I connected a wireless keyboard and mouse, and those work in game just fine. And as soon as I exit the game, the controller works in Big Picture just fine. I can even open the Steam Overlay using the Xbox button while in game. The only thing I can't do is actual control the game with a controller.

I also performed some further testing and tried streaming to my laptop, specs in signature, and yet the results were the same. Keyboard and mouse work fine, controller works in Big Picture, but only keyboard and mouse work in game.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I saw some stuff about adding a udev config, but the ones I saw were specific to the Steam and Sony DS4 controllers. I'm kinda at a loss on this one.

I've bumped into this on Ubuntu 18.04 with the steam controller and suspect the problem is in the udev rule. I haven't tried to dig in yet, but giving yourself execute access to /dev/uinput seems to get it all working. ... at least for me. Worth a shot?

Quick n tacky:
Code:
~$ sudo chmod +x /dev/uinput

Last edited:
I can't believe how anyone expects to get a good experience playing a game over two network connections. Ok, if you play Mahjongg Steam link probably works but for fast paced games? Come on.

I can't believe how anyone expects to get a good experience playing a game over two network connections. Ok, if you play Mahjongg Steam link probably works but for fast paced games? Come on.
I spent last night redoing my OpenVPN for TAP (layer2) to try streaming from work. Testing with my phone as a hotspot, it wasnt >that< bad. I'm hopeful the work connection will make lunchtime a bit more funtime. :D

I regularly played Rocket League on Steam Link. With the right tweaking, it works beautifully. To boot, I use a wireless controller too!

In response to the suggested resolution: I had trouble getting mine working too. Thanks for posting your suggestion Frobozz I'll have to give it a try sometime

Last edited:
I played almost all 120 hours I spent in The Witcher 3 using my steam link, and it was great. Image quality was fantastic, and latency almost non-existent.

EDIT: Also, what do you mean over two network connections? It's intended for use on a local network only.

EDIT2: I tried the chmod suggestion, but didn't work for me. :-(

Last edited:
Any sort of input lag drives me nuts I'm 100% confident I could never use this sort of a system. Luckily I don't play anymore.

Steamlink works great for faster games if you have a good connection. The latency is pretty minimal, not much different to your average TV or similar, not really noticeable to me. Remember, you're mostly running 60Hz on TVs etc.
Had a good blat on redout in bed with a steam controller, 100mbit network back to the rig and it worked fine.

Best part about steam link? I can check my emails in bed off my main PC, stop/start downloads, etc etc, it also streams 1440p to my phone! Steamlink hardware is physically limited to 1080p.
Got me thinking about making a decent android box for the bedroom so I can put a 1440p screen in there to run native, even test 4k in future etc.

Well that sucks. :-/

Does everything work in BPM & in game when plugged directly in to the host?
Yeah, the controller only fails to work in game. Everything else works like a champ. I also went ahead and rebooted into Windows on the host to eliminate the possibility of a hardware issue, and everything worked fine. So, I'm sure it's something with the UDEV rules. I'm hesitant to create them though, because I'm thinking Valve may have changed how they use UDEV because my Steam didn't create any UDEV rules in the folder most posts refer to editing. Although, creating the rule probably wouldn't hurt anything, and if it did I could always just delete it. Maybe I'll try that when I get home tonight.

Any sort of input lag drives me nuts I'm 100% confident I could never use this sort of a system. Luckily I don't play anymore.
To each their own, but until you try something you can't really objectively comment on it. This is true for all things. I'd recommend, if you have two machines with Steam installed, try streaming between the two machines. I think you might be surprised at just how good it is. This way you could give it a try, and then comment on it in a more objective manner. Right now you are commenting based on assumptions, and we all know what assuming does.

Steamlink works great for faster games if you have a good connection. The latency is pretty minimal, not much different to your average TV or similar, not really noticeable to me. Remember, you're mostly running 60Hz on TVs etc.
Had a good blat on redout in bed with a steam controller, 100mbit network back to the rig and it worked fine.

Best part about steam link? I can check my emails in bed off my main PC, stop/start downloads, etc etc, it also streams 1440p to my phone! Steamlink hardware is physically limited to 1080p.
Got me thinking about making a decent android box for the bedroom so I can put a 1440p screen in there to run native, even test 4k in future etc.
Heh, I wouldn't even dream about fps gaming on an average tv. Some have very visible lag. I do have an Xbone and I picked my tv with one criteria being very low input lag. Still not as good as a real monitor.

I have done Warframe, streaming it via wireless to my tablet using the Steam link app with a PS4 controller connected via Bluetooth. I did not really see too much of an issue, but Warframe might not be that graphically taxing. This was on Windows, and i have yet to try this on Linux, but I am not sure that will impact things that much.

Back