Steam: Dragon Age Origins $33.49

Any idea whether or not this is a permanent price reduction or just temporary since Awakening just released?

Edit: Never mind, just visited the Home page and the price is only valid until Thursday 4PM.

And the Digital Deluxe Edition is available for $43.54.

Yeah, this sale is to celebrate the release of the expansion pack.

sorry for the gaming noob question, but is this basically like oblivion but with knights and dragons? i loved oblivion and looking for a similar game. i didnt like fallout 3 as much though.......and have not played mass effect

sorry for the gaming noob question, but is this basically like oblivion but with knights and dragons? i loved oblivion and looking for a similar game. i didnt like fallout 3 as much though.......and have not played mass effect

This is not like... any of those games. On PC, you take control of 4 characters, including yourself, and you can take a top-down view of them, as well as a far-back 3rd person view. Even on Normal, it can be challenging, so there is a lot of pausing and planning attacks.

I haven't played older Bioware games much, but I've heard it's a lot like Baldurs Gate games. It even has some similarities to Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic.

But it's not like Oblivion. It's not 1st person, it's not completely open world. There is a world map and you travel from location to location. They can be large, but it's NOT an open world. Still a very good game though IMO.

And by the way... Oblivion has knights and dragons....

lol after i hit submit i realized that it does have knights and dragons haha......i'm still considering if i should get this

I haven't played older Bioware games much, but I've heard it's a lot like Baldurs Gate games. It even has some similarities to Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic.

Well, that's because Bioware was also the developer for SW:KOTOR as well :D And yeah, DAO and DAO:A are made in best classic RPG traditions just like Bioware's masterpiece Baldurs Gate series. As such, there's a lot of text and dialogue which may not be to the liking of some peeps ;)

Great game, I finished it on Sunday and loaded Awakening last night to basically continue the story - good timing on my part!

Well, that's because Bioware was also the developer for SW:KOTOR as well :D And yeah, DAO and DAO:A are made in best classic RPG traditions just like Bioware's masterpiece Baldurs Gate series. As such, there's a lot of text and dialogue which may not be to the liking of some peeps ;)

Yeah they were, but I just said that because some might not put the connection of gameplay between two games where the genres are opposite.

I think Bioware did a good job with DA:O though in regards to the walls of text. It is fully voiced, which for many is a plus, except the player character. But for those who love lore and reading, there are a crap-ton of codex entries and other stuff that you can read and find so much more information about the game/universe in.

I've never really played a game like this before. Does the game walk you through combat and options at the beginning or would I just be hopelessly confused and lost?

I've never really played a game like this before. Does the game walk you through combat and options at the beginning or would I just be hopelessly confused and lost?

It is fairly lenient...but it doesn't really allow for blatant button smashing. You need to think a little bit. Just remember to keep the holy trinity (tank, dps, heals) in mind until you learn how to abuse certain class/spell combos (aoe stun + aoe damage in a doorway).

It walks you through, then saves everything in the journal incase you want to review it.
It's exactly like Neverwinter Nights, only without the D20 basis. It's really fun, but can become a bit of a grind after a while. I picked it up when it came out (before Thanksgiving) and still haven't beat it. It's too bad there's not a demo or something. You might like it, you might not.

Yeah they were, but I just said that because some might not put the connection of gameplay between two games where the genres are opposite.

And how exactly game genres in KOTOR and DAO are opposite? :confused: Both are RPGs! :cool: KOTOR is a little arcade-like, true, but it doesn't make it a shooter which would be a game of an opposite genre ;)

Yeah, it walks you through at the beginning. You'll most likely be pausing throughout harder battles. When doing so, it can just be point and click and there will be a buttons for various ability choices on the bottom.

And how exactly game genres in KOTOR and DAO are opposite? :confused: Both are RPGs! :cool: KOTOR is a little arcade-like, true, but it doesn't make it a shooter which would be a game of an opposite genre ;)

Sorry, I wasn't talking about game genre, I was referring to setting genre. One is dragons and swords, the other is Star Wars and space and lasers

Back