Steam down for anyone else?

I am not sure what is up but i only lost steam for about 15 minutes earlier tonight. I'm in oregon using the seattle server maybe it is a regional problem

I had intermittent issues yesterday, but didn't check this morning before heading to work. Some trailers wouldn't load and then finally couldn't go online at all. Ran in offline mode.

Is this related?: for the past few weeks when my steambox/pc boots straight into big picture mode it requires me to enter my password. This hasn't always been the case. No authorization code required, just normal login. As far as I can tell all my settings are set to save credentials to that PC.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/01/multiple-gaming-platforms-hit-with-apparent-ddos-attacks/

The servers for Steam, Origin, Battle.net, and League of Legends were brought down temporarily overnight by apparent DDoS attacks that seem to be related to a swatting attack on an individual known for illicitly streaming games. All of those services appear to be working normally as of this writing.

A hacker group going by the handle DERP Trolling claimed responsibility for the Origin attack on Twitter, saying it used a "Ion Cannon" DDoS tool it's calling the "Gaben Laser Beam," after Valve founder Gabe Newell. DERP claimed responsibility for similar attacks on Battle.net, League of Legends, World of Tanks, EA.com, and more earlier this week. Meanwhile, a pair of Twitter users are claiming responsibility for last night's attack on Steam.

All of these efforts to take down various games and platforms seem to be related to a swatting attack directed at YouTube user PhantomL0rd. A thread on reddit lays out how those attacks advanced from targeting the games PhantomL0rd was playing (and monetizing through ads) to more personal harassment after his address and details were released online. In a recent stream, PhantomL0rd reported on being handcuffed after having police called to his address.

Games are serious business apparently. What ever happened to just playing and not getting your panties in a bunch enough to try and ruin it for everyone else?

Bastards. If they have a problem with the companies, they can do something else. This simply screws everyone else over so they can make whatever lame point it is they are trying to make.

I'm not understanding why the streamer was:
1. targeted in the first place
2. how he was "hacked"
3. why the police came and arrested him ( since he was the initial victim in this whole debacle)

steamcommunity.com and support.steampowered.com are still down for me. The store doesn't seem to be affected though.

I'm not understanding why the streamer was:
1. targeted in the first place
2. how he was "hacked"
3. why the police came and arrested him ( since he was the initial victim in this whole debacle)

I would love to know too. But whatever the reason is, it's probably stupid.

Interesting comment - seems this was a money grab scheme...
chris.allenSmack-Fu Master, in training jump to post
I followed this situation very closely (I'm an avid League of Legends player) and can provide some additional insight as I was watching PhantomL0rd on Twitch at the time.

1. PhantomL0rd was not "illicitly" streaming games. He streams games for a living; this is his job.

2. The DERP Trolling group began the attack by taking down the LoL login servers, so that players were unable to log in.

3. PhantomL0rd was in contact with the DERP group during these events and they followed him to other games as he tried to play them (all the while, he was streaming this publicly). At one point, he was given a chance to prevent a server takedown by winning a Dota 2 game, but after his team began to lose the takedown happened anyway.

4. Each game he tried to play, they took down the game servers. This included multiple League of Legends regions, Dota 2 servers, Club Penguin, and others mentioned in the article.

5. Twitch eventually shut the stream down, but not until PhantomL0rd broke the Twitch personal stream concurrent viewer record.

Basically, while these events were going on, PhantomL0rd was getting tons of ad revenue and subscriber revenue by requiring any questions he asked DERP to be asked by subscibers to his channel ($4.99). He certainly made out like a bandit from this situation.

Interesting comment - seems this was a money grab scheme...

What a dick. I'm still on the fence about streaming for a living. While it would be cool as hell to do that for a job, I think an actual job would stimulate my brain a little more. Plus there are only so many hours I can play games before my eyes turn into jelly.

And they are trying to make their own OS. Lol. I wouldn't put "reliable" and "Valve" in the same sentence.

And they are trying to make their own OS. Lol. I wouldn't put "reliable" and "Valve" in the same sentence.

Generally Valve is very reliable for me ... any system that allows direct user access is going to have some susceptibility to these sorts of attacks I would think ... besides if I am going to be upset with anyone over this incident it would be the criminals (I hesitate to use the word hackers) who committed this act of vandalism against the Steam servers (I don't feel the need to blame the victim) ;)

2014 Bring it on already!

HalfLife3_Teaser.jpg

Why not, because they got a massive DDoS...

This had nothing to do with software,. their games, or steam, this was a direct hardware / provider issue.

if someone wants to take you down with a DDoS, unless your under Prolexic or Neustar DDoS protection.. your going down, period.....

Back