Steam Controller?

Anyone with the Steam Link experience the following issue:

Sometimes when I choose "Stop Streaming", the screen on the TV will go black, but the audio still plays and acts like its on the main Big Picture Mode menu. The computer on the other hand exits big picture mode and returns to normal PC steam client.

I have to wait 30 minutes for the idle shutdown to hit before I can use the Steam Link again. I reported it to Valve on the feedback email distro they sent out. Just wondering if I am the only one.

I just got mine and ill be honest I have not used it yet but my inital impression is I should not have bought one. I find the tactile feedback motor too noisy and it is a wierd layout. I dont think it will replace my wired 360 controller as my go to controller for my pc but we will see ill give it a run in fallout 4 later...

I just got mine. Pulled it out of the box and was playing around with it in my hands trying to get a feel for it before using it. First impressions, cheap piece of shit. Feels like flimsy cheap plastic, the back trigger palm buttons,whatever they are, weak. Most of the button clicks are pretty loud and can be felt throughout the whole controller. . Definitely appears to be just a prototype still for build quality honestly. I would feel better about this purchase if it was 30$ max.

With all that said, I hope it functions well enough where I can get past this cheap ass build quality.

My Steam Link and Controller arrived today, If I didn't already have tix for Ghost in the Shell tonite, I'd be all over em.

I just got mine. Pulled it out of the box and was playing around with it in my hands trying to get a feel for it before using it. First impressions, cheap piece of shit. Feels like flimsy cheap plastic, the back trigger palm buttons,whatever they are, weak. Most of the button clicks are pretty loud and can be felt throughout the whole controller. . Definitely appears to be just a prototype still for build quality honestly. I would feel better about this purchase if it was 30$ max.

With all that said, I hope it functions well enough where I can get past this cheap ass build quality.

Reminds me of the build quality from 3rd party manufacturers like Pelican and MadCatz for PS2 controllers back in the day.

Reminds me of the build quality from 3rd party manufacturers like Pelican and MadCatz for PS2 controllers back in the day.

I was worried about this.

I don't mind that the controller isn't great for everything. I don't really think controllers should be "one stop shop." I feel controllers should really be designed for a particular use and be really good at it.

I bounce around from controller to KBM all the time. I'm hoping this controller merely means I can use this a bit more than my KBM on certain titles.

I have had the steam controller since 10/20/15 or so. I don't play CS:GO or other FPS that much, but portal 2 was ok. I think if you beat the learning curve its probably very nice and effective on FPS.

After having the controller for a little over 2 weeks, I like it for casually playing. I play a lot of Binding Of Isaac and find it great to use the touch pad surface rather than a stick or button, for shooting. So that amounts to analog stick left thumb, right thumb on the touchpad. Hard to quantify if using a controller was straining, but this is less straining than my 360 controller.

I find the overall feel to be separate but equal to the 360 controller. Has a bit of balance to the front that I like, and texturally is pleasing. The seam of the body shell around the edge could be better, but nothing I'd throw it out for. Stick texture and pressure for buttons feels right.

The under emphasized strength of this controller comes from the desktop/browsing functionality. Very capable for browsing the forums, reddit, Netflix, given some well designed key mappings from the community. I use a bicycle trainer for exercise that I have setup in front of a spare PC. Now I can sink into the aero-bars and play binding of isaac, click through reddit & youtube, or move into netflix/home server for watching something.

edit:: probably some bias since I don't wanna feel like I drained 60$ for nothing. This was also my overall second controller so it could be different for its value if you have more already.

Last edited:
When I tried mine last night, I didn't get the prompt for the firmware update initially, so it was driving me nuts that every time the right touch pad was let go of the mouse would snap back in the other direction. I had to power down and restart the Steam Link to get the prompt for the firmware update. I was about ready to return it thinking it was defective...

Can you type with the Steam Controller while NOT in Big Picture mode? Say into Google Chrome or Firefox? Microsoft Edge?

You have to update the firmware from the host machine, (using Steam Big Picture mode) You can't update it from the Link.

You have to update the firmware from the host machine, (using Steam Big Picture mode) You can't update it from the Link.
Right, but Steam is running from the host machine, meaning you'll get a notice about updating the firmware while using the Link anyway.

I'm really liking my Steam controller in the living room. I have it hooked up to my old gaming rig disguised as an HTPC.

I have really enjoyed playing world of warships with it. I had to spend time customizing the controls in the steam controller menu but it works perfect. The touch pads are great for controlling the game of an on screen mouse for the menus.

I also played fallout 4 for a bit. It's define tell a compromise for this game but worked fairly well.

I don't like the battery compartments. They hold my rechargeable batteries too tightly and they are tough to remove. I'm afraid of breaking the plastic eject mechanism... This was a bit over engineered in my opinion...

Rocket League is getting a workout on my Link & Controller. Once I started d/l community controller configs, it's a completely different experience vs desktop/keyboard/mouse.

Still not sold on the FPSs. Alien Isolation's a little better but it's not arun and gun. Borderlands 2 is supposedly controller-friendly, may try that next. Still want to try TF2, but not getting my hopes up. (There are no community configs for TF2)

I love the gyro controls. Just tilt the controller left and right or up and down to move.

I still can't play Dark Souls with it though. It's a lot better than the 360 controller, but still frustrating. I really need to customize a control scheme for that game. I wish I could just customize the darn keyboard controls for it so I can finally play it. Console port trash....

Can you type with the Steam Controller while NOT in Big Picture mode? Say into Google Chrome or Firefox? Microsoft Edge?

They added it in to the latest Steam beta build. Minimize Big Picture mode and then click Left Stick to bring up the keyboard. I have an extended desktop with 2 monitors on top of each other. The UI is usually chopped between the two. But for a first try it's not bad. No complaints from me. :)

Here are more notes from the latest build.
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/SteamClientBeta#announcements/detail/48772973975766962

Steam Client Beta Update - Nov 13th

NOVEMBER 13 - PIERRE-LOUP
The beta has just been updated with the following changes:

Big Picture

Added a new option in the system menu, Minimize Big Picture
Fixed "Check for updates" button in the Settings->System menu not behaving correctly
Fixed a crash if you dismissed a games launch options after you previously picked one
Fixed Exit menu popping up when just tapping the Guide button on a controller, not only on a long hold
Fixed watching DOTA 2 broadcasts

Steam Controller

Added the ability to invoke the Big Picture keyboard on the desktop when Big Picture is minimized. Left Stick click to show the keyboard, X to toggle keyboard position around mouse cursor, B to dismiss the keyboard. The binding to show the keyboard will be made configurable in a future update.
Fixed custom desktop configurations not applying if a regular Steam window was in focus
Added Gyro Mouse & Gyro Mouse Joystick Lean bindings. You can use the non-aiming Gyro axis (generally roll) to bind two new actions when tilting on that axis. So an FPS could look with the gyro pitch and yaw, while leaning/dodging with the roll
Added Mouse Joystick Gyro Option to set relative movement of Gyro vs. Pad when using both together
Mouse Joystick now combines multiple inputs (such as trackpad + gyro) in a more intuitive way
Fixed Touch Menu binding screen not showing the icon picker immediately after adding a Touch Menu mode
Fixed multiple inputs going to a single joystick output not working on Mac

In-Home Streaming

Added game controller mouse emulation for game launchers, use right trigger to left click
Fixed one cause of black screen flashing during desktop capture

Linux

Fixed sending special characters to games through the Big Picture overlay keyboard

Broadcast

Fixed regression that would cap a game’s framerate to 60fps when recording video in some games

The under emphasized strength of this controller comes from the desktop/browsing functionality. Very capable for browsing the forums, reddit, Netflix, given some well designed key mappings from the community. I use a bicycle trainer for exercise that I have setup in front of a spare PC. Now I can sink into the aero-bars and play binding of isaac, click through reddit & youtube, or move into netflix/home server for watching something..
Do you mean it works in desktop, with steam minimized? And there's configs for this mode?

Do you mean it works in desktop, with steam minimized? And there's configs for this mode?

Yes that is what I am saying.
My config is setup like so. Right pad is mouse in 'trackball' mode. Left pad is mouse wheel though operated circularly. Right trigger is left click, left trigger is right click. Right shoulder is browser 'forward' left shoulder back. "A" is page down, B page up. Select is close tab. Underneath left switch is 'ctrl' modifier, to then allow opening new browser window, switching to next/previous tab. Underneath right switch is 'alt' modifier, allowing zoom in and out using the left pad (mousewheel), alt-tab between items etc. Shit works.

The configs allow an overall modifier, so lets say you wanted additional keys for media control, you could just set Left Pad Pressed Down to then temporarily switch all the other buttons to whatever you liked, and back to normal on release. That includes more complex key combos you might use for global stuff ctrl+shit+K, etc.

edit: works on linux too, where im at now.

Last edited:
Wow, that's really cool. So if that works, that means every other non-steam game will work, like emulators (some Wii emu games will benefit from the gyro, i presume).

Another thing i'm curious, what's the time 'till standby? I'm guessing it has to have some kind of battery saving feature when it's idle for some time. And how quick is to wake it up? Do you press any key (or touchpad), or do you have to press the center Steam button?

You can define the Sleep to be 15, 30, 45, 60, or never minutes. Wakes up fast, immediately (2 seconds max?) and you would have to press the steam button. Battery % remaining is shown inside the steam client. On the same page you can initialize other steam controllers you have, or identify them by sending a vibration to the chosen controller.

I am not sure how Gyro to Wii emulator function will work, or how exactly it works. You can define functions to the gyro though. One is the sort of fine aim function, where it moves the cursor in low sensitivity. It could also, from what I see in the settings, be set to act as a directional pad. I could see setting up a config in a manner like Joy-to-Key that would work for emulators, but maybe launching through the steam client would offer better customization.

Back