Steam Cloud

Serpico

[H]F Junkie
I've wanted something like this forever. Valve's new system, Steam Cloud, will provide an online backup of your configs and savegames that is tied to your account.

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/52906

It will roll out with support for Valve games only, but hopefully it will also extend to other games that are bought via Steam. I keep all of my configs and savegames backed up on an external hard drive, but if I could just have all that stuff automatically upload and update to my account that would be great. After that all I'd want is for the Steam server browser to work with all my games and not just Valve's, then I'd be 100% set. :)

All I got to say is ABOUT GOD DAMN TIME!!!! I learned this the hard way lol a couple years back. Since I purchased the HL games off Steam im like well im sure it also backs up my save files. Did a format sometime later and lost all my HL and HL2 files. Was kinda pissed.

What made you think that Steam backup configs and saved games. They never advertised that.

All I got to say is ABOUT GOD DAMN TIME!!!! I learned this the hard way lol a couple years back. Since I purchased the HL games off Steam im like well im sure it also backs up my save files. Did a format sometime later and lost all my HL and HL2 files. Was kinda pissed.

Wow dude, that sucks. I mean, yeah, there was no real reason to think that Steam would back up those files for you but it still sucks.

With this and hopefully a way to transfer games between accounts Steam will be pretty close to perfect.

With this and hopefully a way to transfer games between accounts Steam will be pretty close to perfect.

What, you mean being able to combine or move games from separate Steam accounts?

If you're talking about moving, I don't think that's ever going to happen. The used game market in retail is killing developers and I don't think Valve is going to allow people to potentially buy and sell used games on their own platform. :)

I only bring up the used game argument because that is basically what will happen if Valve suddenly allowed players to transfer games between accounts.

Kinda hard to miss, lol.

Yay for Steam upgrading their service. Very smooth move by Valve.

I am pleased to see this aswell, its going to be a good service.
I just wish i could register games that i bought retail, that are offered in steam into steam, basicly allowing me to play the games without swapping disks back and forth.

I just wish i could register games that i bought retail, that are offered in steam into steam, basicly allowing me to play the games without swapping disks back and forth.

Same there, that would make steam IMO absolutely perfect.

QFT!!! there is only one game i think that you can do that with, and thats Prey, if they can do it with that they can definatly do it with other games.

What, you mean being able to combine or move games from separate Steam accounts?

If you're talking about moving, I don't think that's ever going to happen. The used game market in retail is killing developers and I don't think Valve is going to allow people to potentially buy and sell used games on their own platform. :)

I only bring up the used game argument because that is basically what will happen if Valve suddenly allowed players to transfer games between accounts.

I agree that we wont ever see it implemented like that and personally I dont care too much, but if someone does pick up a steam game tied to another account they should make a fairly straightforward way to have that key tied into your account. Cannot be that hard since they work gifting and such. I bet calling them up or emailing them will let it happen eventually maybe, but I agree, they dont see much insentive or results from it aside from someone who might plop down the bux next time first hand.

This is a godsend for me. I accidentally lost my lvl 55 cod4 profile with an os reinstall.

QFT!!! there is only one game i think that you can do that with, and thats Prey, if they can do it with that they can definatly do it with other games.

Dark Messiah Might and Magic and Sin Episodes: Emergence both did that for me. But those are both Source powered games...so who knows.

Serpico: I think this is the first time I've ever seen anyone name their computers.

You've definitely have a lot of toys!

Serpico: I think this is the first time I've ever seen anyone name their computers.

You've definitely have a lot of toys!

LOL. My computers have always had names for networking purposes. Mine are named after Al Pacino movie characters, so on my network you'll have serpico, roma, and hanna (from the movies Serpico, Glengarry Glen Ross, and Heat, respectively). I know someone who names his machines after Futurama characters (bender, leela, etc). Its a lot more fun and easier to keep track of than "computer 1", "computer 2". :)

What's funny is you would think CoD 4 would save your multiplayer data on the server as well, but one of my friends found out the hard way that is not the case so hopefully Steam Cloud catches on and others follow suit.

I guess it's maybe good for some people. It takes me about 12 seconds to implement my entire config for steam games..

I definitely like the sound of this, but I'd like to know more about how it's implemented. Will you actually be reading your gamesaves and keyboard mappings from their online storage? Or will they periodically be saved to storage? Or will you manually upload them?

Sounds like a good idea though, and one I'm looking forward to.

Steam did not start very well but now I really like it (BTW, I do not mind paying for my games).
I am looking forward to see this new feature.

steam just keeps getting better and better. Anyone who still disses steam at this point of time must be very short sighted.. or just a complete turd

Back