steam client install location

RavenX

Limp Gawd
Just a quick one, currently I got one 2.5in ssd that has both my OS and games installed. Just got a new samsung nvme ssd that I plan to do a clean install of windows 10 on and move all my games to the 2.5in ssd. Is it better to install my steam client on the same drive as my games, on the same drive as my Windows, or does it not really matter?

Just a quick one, currently I got one 2.5in ssd that has both my OS and games installed. Just got a new samsung nvme ssd that I plan to do a clean install of windows 10 on and move all my games to the 2.5in ssd. Is it better to install my steam client on the same drive as my games, on the same drive as my Windows, or does it not really matter?
Ive always had mine on a separate drive. If you need to re install the os, you do not need to re download your steam library. Major time saver if you have a huge library.

Ive always had mine on a separate drive. If you need to re install the os, you do not need to re download your steam library. Major time saver if you have a huge library.
thats not what hes asking but is what he is doing.

Is it better to install my steam client on the same drive as my games, on the same drive as my Windows, or does it not really matter?

steam doesnt care where its installed and it will make zero difference

Thanks, I wasn't sure if it really mattered for performance and resource use on the OS where I installed the client.

I have my steam program installed on my C:\ but 100% of my steam games are on their own separate hard drive.

When I reinstalled windows, I just set that secondary location as one of the install locations from steam options and it automatically scanned all the files in it and added them to my installed library. Sometimes it has to reinstall some random VCredist or whatever to run, bu it does that automatically.

Only matters For Steam games that you might use a lot of mods for, like Bethesda's Skyrim and FallOut regardless of the versions "Oldrim, SE or VR".
It has always been recommended to NOT install mod-able games under the "Program Files" folders due to possible UAC problems.
Though I'm not sure if this is a problem under Windows 10.

Only matters For Steam games that you might use a lot of mods for, like Bethesda's Skyrim and FallOut regardless of the versions "Oldrim, SE or VR".
It has always been recommended to NOT install mod-able games under the "Program Files" folders due to possible UAC problems.
Though I'm not sure if this is a problem under Windows 10.

The question is about the Steam client it's self. Not the Steam games. Try re-reading the question.

The question is about the Steam client it's self. Not the Steam games. Try re-reading the question.
His last question: " or does it not really matter? "

My reply started with " Only matters For Steam games that... "

There was no need to answer the main question at hand as Pendragon1 already answered it.

but thanks for your useless post in this topic ZodaEX, if you have nothing that pertains to the topic at hand, move along please

Back