• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Steam Auto-updates for AMD Cards

polive

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Sep 28, 2005
Messages
1,283
Have you guys tried it out? I've just set my Steam to auto update to newest drivers, guess it's a new feature? Thoughts?
 
Thee only pot I saw about it was how badly it f-ed up his system. Just say no.
 
Well I tried it, haven't had a chance to play any games yet. It finished quickly and "updated" to 11.3. I was expecting at least a restart of the machine, yet no prompt for restart...weird.

I don't know if it uninstalled the previous driver, and have yet to test it. Will post back here.

EDIT: OK, played FO New Vegas for ~30 min no problems, kept framerate on at 60fps with vsync 4xaa 16xaf 1920x1200 as usual. No problem so far, but have to play longer later and report back here.

Didn't even restart the system.
 
Last edited:
I used that once with no ill effects. Not the typical way I update drivers, but I had no issues when I experimented with it.
 
No, won't try the feature. I'll update my drivers manually, thank you.
 
I've used used, no problem.

Only used once to test, otherwise I'm always using the beta drivers anyways... ;)
 
it is not an autoupdate, it is a notification. and yeah, I find it works well. The only difference is that steam notifies you and downloads the update. It does not just install. Also does not require a reboot, so kudos to amd + steam.
 
I tried it once on my gaming rig and it resulted in the BSOD everytime I tried to boot into windows using normal mode. I ended up having to boot into safe mode with driver sweeper to get everything cleared out. I was curious about this as you guys, and I should have trusted my instincts which were telling me not to do it.

I am a big fan of upgrading drivers the right way. This involves using the CCC uninstall utility built into the installer that you download, rebooting into safe mode, cleaning things out using driver sweeper, rebooting into normal mode and then installing the new drivers.
 
I have used it on my gaming computer and my daughters with no problems. Makes it nice to have it tell you there is a new update. Beats having to keep checking AMD's website for updates.
 
Does this download also the game profiles or whatever they call it?
 
Well I tried it, haven't had a chance to play any games yet. It finished quickly and "updated" to 11.3. I was expecting at least a restart of the machine, yet no prompt for restart...weird.

I don't know if it uninstalled the previous driver, and have yet to test it. Will post back here.

EDIT: OK, played FO New Vegas for ~30 min no problems, kept framerate on at 60fps with vsync 4xaa 16xaf 1920x1200 as usual. No problem so far, but have to play longer later and report back here.

Didn't even restart the system.

Driver updates typically don't require reboots in Windows 7 (at least not in terms of CCC) - in fact, I haven't had to reboot for a CCC-related reason in Windows 7 at all The lack of reboots is more due to the changes both in the driver model in Windows 7 and how it impacts CCC. This goes back to one of the more tersely-worded mandates from the days of Jim Alchin (who used to run the "NT" group at Microsoft; he was hired away from DEC by fellow ex-VMSer Jim Cutler, who preceded him to Redmond) - he wanted driver-related reboots banished. Except for graphics and audio drivers, that was mostly the case by the time Windows XP launched.
 
Driver updates typically don't require reboots in Windows 7 (at least not in terms of CCC) - in fact, I haven't had to reboot for a CCC-related reason in Windows 7 at all The lack of reboots is more due to the changes both in the driver model in Windows 7 and how it impacts CCC. This goes back to one of the more tersely-worded mandates from the days of Jim Alchin (who used to run the "NT" group at Microsoft; he was hired away from DEC by fellow ex-VMSer Jim Cutler, who preceded him to Redmond) - he wanted driver-related reboots banished. Except for graphics and audio drivers, that was mostly the case by the time Windows XP launched.
I agree, I'm the same way I skip reboots with CCC installs. Seems so primitive.
 
Back
Top