Steam and how much it sucks

It was a dark and lonley afternoon in my basement. All I wanted to do was play a little halflife 2, get my HEV suit on and kill some combine soldiers, nothing really drastic. When all of a sudden....

Steam needed to update!

So I said OK Steam, go ahead and update, i've got a cable modem, the download will be swift!

10 minutes later the download was finally finished, my frustrated hands moved the mouse cursor to "PLAY GAMES"! Hurray I exclaimed as steam started to load. To my horror my screen image froze!!!!! 10 minutes later.. Here was my sight:

I hope you all enjoyed my tale of steam sucking up my day. Good luck to all, and I hope your steam experiences are better than mine.

U must be a noob dude. If any program stops loading for me after 1 min i'm checking the ask manger to see if its still running. Then i'll end task it and reload it. Sounds like to me it only wasted 20 mins of ur afternoon. Well hope u get it working..... Steam works fine for me! Don't like any of the games on steam....but it works... HL2 would be great if it was more like hl1 :-P And don't get me started on CS! Makes me wanna get a REAL gun and start going BOOM HEADSHOT

OMG STEAM IS SUCH BULLSHIT!! Wait a second.... I've had that happen before. I've had that happen before on lots of apps. :rolleyes:

Ron1jed: last time i checked, i knew how to use the task manager... I must have left out that steam was actually responding, just decidng to not do anything productive, thats all. :cool:

Kankykur7: I'm glad someone else could find the humor in this, as that was my intention in creating this thread :D

Steam is terrible - I think the concept is somewhat intriguing but in practice, the system is simply no easier to use than downloading stuff manually. The connection is horrid and everything else about it is flakey at best.

not to mention my steam dir is like 4 gigs after the updates!? thats on top of 4 gigs for the original install of HL2. Is that even normal?

I dunno. I think steam is a cool idea. Its just in a early stage. Kinda like a work in progress. Just think of it! U'll never have to leave home for games u want. I mean really who wants to move from there computer chair :-P

Steam is a cheap rip off mmorpg delivery systems. Every RPG system has an identical delivery system and in my opinion is far supperior to steam in every aspect. I refuse to pay for anything that comes for steam.

it's only a good system if it works as intended - which it obviously doesn't for great many people.

Wrench00 said:
Steam is a cheap rip off mmorpg delivery systems. Every RPG system has an identical delivery system and in my opinion is far supperior to steam in every aspect. I refuse to pay for anything that comes for steam.

That's kinda like saying "OMG that PC is WHITE! It is an APPLE RIPOFF!!!11ZOMG!!". :)

I don't like steam, due to it's processor usage (not a lot, but i'm picky) and it's frequent crashes, but it's a nice concept.

You know, if I were given a dime everytime I read a thread here in regards to Steam and their service everyone talks about, I don't think I would have to worry about tuition for my Bachelor's AND my Master's :p

XiaoBai said:
not to mention my steam dir is like 4 gigs after the updates!? thats on top of 4 gigs for the original install of HL2. Is that even normal?

Why do I highly doubt this? You are aware that the HL2 cache files are in your Steam folder? So unless your Steam directory is 8GB and you didn't manually make duplicates of some files, it's BS.

Steam isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be. I haven't had any issues with Steam, let alone the update process or speed, and I'm on a shite 1.5Mb DSL connection.

I don't like the instant messenger thing on steam. Aside from that, it works perfectly for me. Why do I bother saying that it works? Because the only people who bother saying anything will be the people for whom it doesn't work. The idea is that it's suposed to work in the background, so if it succeeds, nobody's supposed to care. This isn't to say that it doesn't screw up for people, but it's silly for anyone to read crap off a technical support forum and just say, it's broken for everyone.

Look at a technical support forum for anything, and you shouldn't be surprised that it's full of people having problems... :rolleyes:

I like Steam, I've never had issues with it, and its so much easier for formatting then swapping CDs. I just wish the friends feature would work better, its always down.

Are you sure that steam did not freeze, because it was in conflict with one of the other 11 processes you have running on the bottom right ? Or the fact that you are not connected to the internet, as the network connection icon clearly shows ???

:rolleyes:

Contray to popular belief, steam will not steal your first born, explode your rig, or be responsible for the re-emergence of the Nazi's.

Draax said:
Are you sure that steam did not freeze, because it was in conflict with one of the other 11 processes you have running on the bottom right ? Or the fact that you are not connected to the interent, as the network connection icon clearly shows ???

Contray to popular belief, steam will not steal your first born, explode your rig, or be responsible for the re-emergence of the Nazi's.

I concur. ;)

Ron1jed said:
I dunno. I think steam is a cool idea. Its just in a early stage. Kinda like a work in progress. Just think of it! U'll never have to leave home for games u want. I mean really who wants to move from there computer chair :-P

HUH? What are you smoking and where can I purchase some? :)

Draax said:
Are you sure that steam did not freeze, because it was in conflict with one of the other 11 processes you have running on the bottom right ? Or the fact that you are not connected to the interent, as the network connection icon clearly shows ???

Maybe you don't have more than one NIC, but it's possible he does. Not trying to bash Steam, I love it, but you should think about possibilties other than what you have before you try and burn the guy.

the@ntipop said:
Maybe you don't have more than one NIC, but it's possible he does. Not trying to bash Steam, I love it, but you should think about possibilties other than what you have before you try and burn the guy.

And he should think about, what the possible causes of steam crashing are, before dumping on steam. Its a two way street. Everyone and there mother likes to pretend steam is the source of all the worlds evils, when the large majority of the problems, steam users encounter, are problems on there end.

12 additional processes and the network connection not connected ... being that the simplest explanation is most often the correct one .... what do you think it is in this case ?

JSClark said:
You know, if I were given a dime everytime I read a thread here in regards to Steam and their service everyone talks about, I don't think I would have to worry about tuition for my Bachelor's AND my Master's :p

The same could be said in regards to getting a dime for every time someone claims you're a fool because Steam isn't working for you but it "Works fine for me!!!!!!1111".

a steam dingo stole my baby

Looks more like your enter key stuck on the shortcut to launch steam. ;)

lol, I like how everyone here bashes various games with a passion to turn around and defend steam. (Steam sucks, move along)

Lord of Shadows said:
lol, I like how everyone here bashes various games with a passion to turn around and defend steam. (Steam sucks, move along)

Thats your opinion, but there are many users with the opposite opinion. The forums a poor place to determine how effective steam is, as only users with problems create threads about it.

I myself (my opinion) have had one problem with steam and crashing, and it turned out to be a problem on my end. I think if more people here actually took the time to troubleshoot steam, instead of declaring it the anti-christ, It (steam) would have a much better reputation.

Draax said:
Thats your opinion, but there are many users with the opposite opinion. The forums a poor place to determine how effective steam is, as only users with problems create threads about it.

I myself (my opinion) have had one problem with steam and crashing, and it turned out to be a problem on my end. I think if more people here actually took the time to troubleshoot steam, instead of declaring it the anti-christ, It (steam) would have a much better reputation.

Try troubleshooting the reasoning behind an automatic download launching itself at 59%, all while it says it's completed. Then go into Steam and realize that there isn't a "Resume" button so you get the privelage of deleting and downloading again only to have the same problem.

I guess Im lucky. Ive never had steam crash on me once. When they first switched from WON to steam, though, I discovered my CD key was stolen and had to buy HL1 again.......

Draax said:

My problem with steam is that it serves no purpose for me, but must be installed and running anyway. The game itself could automatically check for updates prior to running or give me the option to update within the main menu. It could ask me during installation to install steam or to update manually.

Steam does two things, allows novices to update without calling tech support and allows valve to release as many minor updates as needed instead of trying to do things right the first time.

Lord of Shadows said:
My problem with steam is that it serves no purpose for me, but must be installed and running anyway. The game itself could automatically check for updates prior to running or give me the option to update within the main menu. It could ask me during installation to install steam or to update manually.

Steam does two things, allows novices to update without calling tech support and allows valve to release as many minor updates as needed instead of trying to do things right the first time.

You dont like it, dont use it, Its pretty simple really. Its not going away, so get used to it.

I just cant wait untill every game company has a similar app... I mean people love steam, just look at the forums.

Lord of Shadows said:

Sure there was a few bugs when HL2 was initially released, but you're never going to find them all until the app is out in the wild, running on every possible combination of hardware imaginable. If you look at the update history for Steam and the games, I believe more features/better performance have been added than bugs fixed.

I love steam! I also love VD, the flu, head-pounding hang overs and 65 hour work weeks when the govt. rapes me for my tax dollar........

Draax said:
Are you sure that steam did not freeze, because it was in conflict with one of the other 11 processes you have running on the bottom right ? Or the fact that you are not connected to the internet, as the network connection icon clearly shows ???

I was connected with wifi, my wired nic was not connected, Thanks to Draax for pointing that out already.

In response to the processes question, sure its possible, but I am actually a stickler for what is using my processor at any one time. Most of the icons you see are for status of my laptop and actually make it run better (cooler/longer). The rest are mostly passive and simply not doing anything unless I ask them to, with the exception of AVG which is my antivirus software, and winrar, which MAY have been causing the slowdown... but I should be able to do 2 things at once, no?

Lunt: LMAO I'd hate to see the things you DON'T enjoy!

My problem with steam is that i want to play the game i paid $50 for but cant because i dont have the internet.

I had the internet, i played HL2 while i had it. I am moving to college in a month or so, as a result the internet was shut off at my house. So im bored and home one day and try to play my HL2, i boot it up and it says STEAM is unable to connect. Ok thats fine i guess ill just start it in the "offline mode" which it says to do. I try that and guess what, it tells me i need to connect to the internet to play in offline mode. Is this a catch 22 or what?

I want to play offline but in order to i need to connect to the internet... bullshit. they are so worried about people "warezing" their game they alienate the paying customer - thats bad business, especially when people are going to find a way to get it illegally no matter what they do.

It looks as though explorer is the culprit, your desktop isn't repainting. I dont think Steam caused that.

Draax said:

he's using a laptop, im betting hes got wireless ;)

Steam is one of the best things to happen to the game industry in a long, long time. Play Rag-doll kung fu when it comes out, enjoy the fact you don't have to track down patches and enjoy your free content all the while knowing us developers are enpowered, be happy.

Steam is a piece of crap. When first installing HalfLife2/CSS, dont expect to be playing the games after your done with the installation... no sir... expect a long ass wait for it to "unlock game files" and "download updates" :rolleyes:

Back