steam add-ons for retail games?

Ragenrok

Supreme [H]ardness
How does it work if you purchase expansions and add-ons for games off steam if you own the retail version? I have borderlands and was told that steam occasionally sells the new content for cheap. How does this work with my retail copy of borderlands?

In most cases it won't work at all, unfortunately. I assume Borderlands won't eitiher.

Yup, you have to have the steam version to buy the steam DLC. It was worth it to rebuy the base borderlands + all 3 DLC for $20 during the last sale then just buy 2 of the DLC at normal price IMO.

I'll happily pay the $10 to rebuy the original game to not have to deal with the DVD ever again. Considering I only paid $20 when I bought the first game I've definitely gotten my money out of this one.

another confirmation that you have t have the original to use dlc unless steam page says so.

I can say specifically for Borderlands that you must own the full game on Steam, to use the Steam DLC's. Likewise you cannot purchase the DLC's retail, and expect to use them on a Steam copy. It's one of the limitations you accept for using the Steam platform.

all right thanks guys, I guess ill wait till I see a good sale on d2d, thats where I got my copy lol

well turns out im retarded and its not a problem. Turns out it was bf2 I bought on d2d and I got borderlands on steam lol. Still thanks for the answers, good thing to know for future reference :p

Back