Steady noise from raptor?

Hey guys, the raptor in my sig is my very first, only had quiet 7200rpm drives before that, and it seems that my raptor is constantly making noise(seeking), and I'm wondering if its normal. I know it should make noise, but it will make a very brief seek noise over and over in 3-5 second intervals constantly, never stops. I'm just wondering if this is normal since my OS and all apps are on the drive? Like I said, I never noticed it before with a quiet 7200rpm drive and since the computer is like a foot to the left of me at ear level. Also, I did try searching but couldnt find anything specifically about this. Thanks guys.

Yes it is very normal for a raptor drive to make audible noise. IMO the sound sounds kind of like coffee maker or some sort of slow grinder.

Something is causing a constant seek to that drive. My raptor is used as OS, games, apps and doesn't even come close to that frequent seeking you described.

Are you listening to music from that drive? Maybe a background app or service is causing the seeking.

Yeah thats what I'm talking about. I do listen to music from that drive but it does this all the time, when I'm not doing anything at all. The apps I always have open are AIM, MSN Messenger, TAT, and SpeedFan. Maybe one of those is causing it? Or one of the apps in the icon bar. I didnt think it was that normal for it to be seeking so much though. So I'm guessing(and hoping) its just one of the apps, and nothing is actually wrong with it, or its an app that shouldnt be seeking that much that I dont know about lol.

Is there any way to check what could be accessing so much by any chance?

Is the hard drive light blinking or not? What happens if you close all the unnecessary apps? Does it do this while in BIOS?

No I'm running XP Pro w/sp2. I did close all the unnecessary apps in the icon tray and it still did it, and I restarted my comp last nite and I left it at the login screen and it even did that then. I'll go into the BIOS and see if it does it when I have a chance.

EDIT: Ok, I just rebooted and re-enabled my secondary SATA controller so that my HD LED light will blink again instead of being steady, and it does blink when it makes those noises, but its a very faint blink lol. And when I was in the BIOS it didnt make the noise at all, so I guess it must be one of the apps. I just wish there was a way to find out instead of uninstalling all my apps lol.

If it is still being accessed at the login screen after a reboot (you haven't logged onto the machine yet), you should check your services see if the indexing service is enabled. If so, disable it (start->run->services.msc , indexing service, set to DISABLED. If it is still constantly reading from the disc, check which apps start when you boot (start->run->msconfig, STARTUP tab, check links with location starting with HKLM). If none of the apps listed index files or need constant access to the hdd, you should recheck the running services see if any application you installed registered itself as a service and is accessing your HD (e.g Antivirus).

Hope that helps.

Ok, I tried disabling the indexing service and it still constantly seeks, even at the logon screen. Now, about the apps starting with HKLM, theres about 15 apps in the startup tab starting with that, so should I just start unchecking them 1 at a time to see if the seeking stops?

Ok, I tried disabling the indexing service and it still constantly seeks, even at the logon screen. Now, about the apps starting with HKLM, theres about 15 apps in the startup tab starting with that, so should I just start unchecking them 1 at a time to see if the seeking stops?

Could you list those 15 processes?

I dont have time rite now cuz I have to leave for work but its an early night, so I prolly will around 10 or so.

I'll lest the startup item and then part of the command to try to describe what it is.

Ok here we go:

nTuneCmd - nVidia nTune
KHALMNPR - KHALMNPR.EXE
CTDVDDET - Creative X-Fi DVD audio
DLLML - X-Fi shared files
VolPanel - X-Fi volume panel(unchecked since I dont use it anyway.)
CTHELPER - CTHELPER.EXE
CTXFIHLP - CTXFIHLP.EXE
UpdReg - windows updreg.exe
NeroCheck - system32\nerocheck.exe
jusched - java
zlclient - zone labs zone alarm zlclient.exe
AIMWDI~1 - AOL IM
NvCpl - seems like the nvidia control panel
nwiz - nwiz.exe/install
NvMcTray - RUNDLL32 NvTaskbarInIt, prolly something nvidia too
theres something here but its totally blank and checked
LGDCore - Logitech G-series software for G-15 keyboard
LCDMon - keyboard too but for the lcd screen
HPWuSchd2 - Hp software update for printer

Thats all of them for HKLM, so let me know if you can figure anything out from that or need anything else.

Wow that app is flippin sweet. Now if only I can target what is actually causing the seek. I'll definately get back to you guys on this.

Ok, using that app I might have narrowed it down to my security, zone alarm. When I close it most of the seeking goes away, but sometimes when its still running nothing seeks for awhile. Maybe its a combination of a couple things seeking alot. I think speedfan might be doing alot of it too. Anyway, any more suggestions would be nice, and I would still like to hear back from phildabill since I listed those items.:)

Back