Staying with XP

tsonka

Limp Gawd
Think I’m gonna stay with XP on my new build. I’m comfortable with it and it works. I have 2 questions about it though:

I am buying a Q6600 processor when the prices drop and will get 4gig memory. Through using the search function I know XP will only acknowledge a total of 4gig memory and that takes into account video card memory. Is there anything that can be done to increase that total?

Second question, will XP acknowledge all 4 CPU cores and use them properly or is there something I need to do?

Just a tip: if you're planning on getting 4GB in that new build, and you're going to get the Q6600, I'd say go for XP x64 over XP x86. You'll get the full use of all that RAM and well, it's a 64 bit OS. :p

I won't get into the major discussions, suffice to say this:

XP x64 is not XP - it's more akin to Windows Server 2003 because that's what's really running at it's core; the two OSes even share service packs. It doesn't work like XP 32 bit, it doesn't handle memory management like XP 32 bit (and that's not even related to the RAM capability; 2K3 and XP x64 are just more damned efficient, period), and it's most certainly snappier and more responsive than XP 32 bit.

There are people that will say otherwise, but ignore 'em. :)

If you're going to build a new machine, using vanilla XP 32 bit is simply a thing to pass on. XP x64 is matured now, again it's based on that 2K3 server core so it's quick as lightning, and having that full RAM access is a major major benefit over XP 32 bit.

Besides, look at the pricing even now - assuming you're getting a new copy of the OS for that new machine. You can find the XP Pro 32 bit OEM CD with COA/etc for about $140-ish if you look hard enough.

Compare that to a lot of places selling XP Pro 64 bit Edition OEM CDs with COA/etc for $80... or less.

It's the deal of the century I tell ya, and not to be missed.

Just suggestions, of course, but I'm running XP x64 and I won't run anything else anytime soon. :)

Thanks for that reply bbz. I already have the full version of XP home but Im not opposed to getting another OS, its just that I dont care for Vista..

From what I have been reading about XP64 today, it seems to me that all the negative things people are saying are due to lack of 64bit drivers, and that would be the case for any 64bit OS you would get??

For the most part, yes, and if it was 2 years ago when XP x64 came out, I might agree. But times change, Vista x64 is out now, and XP x64 has a flood of driver support for hardware, even older stuff now. I've yet to find something I couldn't get a driver for myself, and I build machines pretty regularly from both new and old hardware.

The only way to know is get XP x64 (Microsoft offers a 180 day trial version for free, that's worth looking into before you go off spending money on XP x64 even if it is so cheap) and install it on the new hardware and see what comes of it.

My personal belief is you'll immediately notice just how quick and responsive XP x64 is to XP right off the bat. YMMV, however.

XP x64 device driver availability is considerably better than you might think given some of the comment you read. It's been out in distribution for quite a while now, and much of the internet message board comment is based upon the 'opinions' people formed during the earlier period of its availability. (That's sorta like the many 'Vista-haters' you'll find who only ever really tried it as a release candidate version or during the first weeks of its release.)

But regardless, do the homework to check that your hardware components actually have XP x64 device drivers available. Better to know before you spend than after. XP x64 device driver support is still not as good as XP x86 device driver support.

I'm an active XP x64 user (no going to Vista in my future) and I've only got one device right now that does not have a 64-bit driver and that's my Palm. But, I sync via Bluetooth anyway so it's not a big deal (and Palm has said that 64-bit drivers will be available later in the summer).

The 64-bit drivers are very mature and, at least in my usage, more stable than their 32-bit equivalents.

Back