Staying Sharp

wev162

n00b
I'm not working in anything code related this summer but I would like to keep my coding skills sharp and keep learning after a year of CS theory and application courses. Any one have any suggestions or resources for ways to improve my coding skills on my own? So far I've mainly worked in java, how do you all typically approach learning a new language? Thanks!

Look up mikeblas's excellent Essay for beginning programmers...

There are a bunch of challenging practice problems to do in there. And as you read on, you'll realize language doesn't matter when you're working with fundementals...

However, buying a simple book, or finding online tutorials is your best bet for new languages... Once you know one, they're pretty simple to pick up.

What are you doing over the summer? Why don't you have an internship?

If you can't come up with a project that you really want to do, don't worry so much about it. Don't take up a project to "stay sharp" because you feel like you're supposed to, you're not going to fall behind. Enjoy the time off while you can - you're not going to get many 3-month vacations after you get out of school (being unemployed doesn't count - it's too damned hard to enjoy yourself).

Oh, and there's always Programming Challenges (ISBN 0387001638).

Back