Static shock from PSU?

Mr34727

Supreme [H]ardness
So I reached behind my computer to feel the air temp/flow from my psu and accidentally touched the fan grill, which gave me a static shock. Would you guys say this is a sign it is dying?

PC Power and Cooling 1000w

1090T stock right now
4 ddr3 dimms 1.5v
1 raptor
3 ODD
1x GTX 260
3x 9800GTX+

7 fans (4x140mm 3x120)

The only thing it's a sign of is your PSU is properly grounded.

Carry on.

Last edited:
Static zap or buzz zap, like the kind from 60 Hz AC? The former just means you need to quit petting the cat before touching your computer (or get some better anti-static shoes or floor covering), but the latter should never happen if everything is grounded. Without grounding, many PSUs will give a slight buzz shock because of the two tiny RF filter capacitors connected between the AC lines and ground that divide the 120VAC and present 60VAC to the case ground. Those capacitors are supposed to be specially certified because you don't want them to short high current to ground if the equipment isn't connected to earth ground. If you're not sure any buzz shock is harmless, get a plug-in ground fault circuit interrupter (GFCI) and connect your power strip or surge protector to it.

Static zap or buzz zap, like the kind from 60 Hz AC? The former just means you need to quit petting the cat before touching your computer (or get some better anti-static shoes or floor covering), but the latter should never happen if everything is grounded. Without grounding, many PSUs will give a slight buzz shock because of the two tiny RF filter capacitors connected between the AC lines and ground that divide the 120VAC and present 60VAC to the case ground. Those capacitors are supposed to be specially certified because you don't want them to short high current to ground if the equipment isn't connected to earth ground. If you're not sure any buzz shock is harmless, get a plug-in ground fault circuit interrupter (GFCI) and connect your power strip or surge protector to it.

I don't think anyone would confuse the two but just in case a static shock is an instant but mild zap whereas 60hz AC won't stop until you stop touching the casing. OP really sounded like the first one to me.

Back