Static or DHCP on p2p

QwertyJuan

[H]F Junkie
Going to look at a network that has 2 machines and 1 dial-up connection, shared between them.

One machine has 2k and the other XP home :rolleyes:

No router, no nothing of that sort... just a good 'ole crossover cable.

If I set both machines to get IP automatically, will that work?? I know it will with two XP machines(or I've had it work), but should I just perhaps do it static?? Like a 192.168.0.1 and .2?? What are your suggestions?

QJ

yeah just set up the machines on the same subnet and such and set them to lie a .1 and .2 address and then turn on ICS on the host machine...makes it easy...

SomeFknGuy said:
yeah just set up the machines on the same subnet and such and set them to lie a .1 and .2 address and then turn on ICS on the host machine...makes it easy...

I agree static would be the easiest for 2 boxes, but I'm pretty sure ICS wants you to use DHCP on the second client. I'm not sure if making it static but in the same range will give you problems or not.

Party2go9820 said:
I agree static would be the easiest for 2 boxes, but I'm pretty sure ICS wants you to use DHCP on the second client. I'm not sure if making it static but in the same range will give you problems or not.

It should work, but it's far easier to just use DHCP for the second client.

Back