Static issue when I move the mouse

crb806

Weaksauce
I just put a new system together with the specs below and I'm having an issue where the speakers will give me a high pitch static noise when I move the mouse or there is hard drive activity. I've tried plugging the mouse in the front and using the audio out on my monitor, but still had the static. I can turn the knob on the back of the speakers down until it is low enough not to be heard, but on my other build I could leave the speakers at max with no issues.

GIGABYTE z97n-wifi
16GB CorsairPlatinum
AX 760i PSU
EVGA GTX 980 FTW
850 EVO 1TB SSD

Tried with M-AUDIO BX5 D2 and JBL LSR305 speakers.

Anyone have any ideas?

Sounds like ground loop noise. Can you use a digital connection to feed audio to your speakers? Another option is using a discrete sound card instead of the motherboard audio.

I tried an external USB sound card today, but sadly that didn't help

I had this once issue on an old system of mine. I corrected it by changing the power cable from my PSU to the wall. Somehow mine was accepting interference or had a grounding issue.

I purchased a ground loop isolator off amazon so I'll see if that helps. Anyone have any other ideas?

Could be caused by PSU or mb itself. Replace parts until it is gone. I've used ground loop isolator before and it does help but not entirely.

Assuming you are already using balanced cables, is there anyway to get balanced input to your PC? I had static issues connecting from a Xonar DX or onboard sound to my studio monitors. No such problem after I switched to a Scarlett 2i4 and balanced (TRS to XLR) cables.

Back