Static/interference with front panel onboard HD audio

Daynja

Weaksauce
I have an antec nine hundred with a gigabyte GA-X38-DQ6. The case has an HD audio connector and an AC97 connector. The manual for the motherboard says it can accept either. When I connect the HD audio, the sound through headphones on the front panel has a constant static/buzzing sound. The sound changes when I move the mouse or when the hard drive is being accessed. Seems like some sort of interference so I moved the cable so that nothing was near it. This didn't change anything. The sound from the rear headphone jack sounds just fine. In the BIOS azalia codec is set to auto. Any idea what is causing this and how I could fix it?

Connect the HDaudio plug of your case on the MB and set it to HDaudio in the bios instead of auto.

If it doesn't resolve the problem, you might have to get a soundcard or only use the plug on the back panel. This is a common problem of some older MB but sometimes happens on newer MB too. There is no solution to the problem since the noise comes from interferences on the MB.

Even a cheap soundcard will get rid of the problem and give a better sound.

Connect the HDaudio plug of your case on the MB and set it to HDaudio in the bios instead of auto.

I am using the HD Audio cable and the only options for "azalia codec" in the bios are "auto" or "disabled".

I think I can plug two headphones in the back panel and assign them both to headphones. That may be my best solution.

I just don't understand why this happens. I had a crappy no-name motherboard from 2003 that had AC97 audio and I used a front panel audio connector with it just fine. Now I have a very new gigabyte motherboard and the audio sounds like crap when it's supposed to be "HD".

I think I can plug two headphones in the back panel and assign them both to headphones. That may be my best solution.

I tried this and it worked. I read that all 6 outputs on the back can be configured to be whatever you want, I had just never tried it. But I am using 2 of them as headphone outputs and they both work at the same time.

I would rather use the front audio, but this will have to do. And unless anyone can point out that I'm doing something wrong, Gigabytes onboard audio sucks.

I've recently encountered the same problem on the GA-P35-DS3R, my theory is that its noise from the PCI bus or EMI as atleast in my situation the Azalia codec is placed directly beside the PCI-E 16x slot. I found one way to improve the problem is changing the output from "Headphone" to "Front Speaker Out", however of course this changes the sound a bit but its the best solution I've found so far.

Also an interesting side note, when using the slot designated for the mic input (pink), I found the sound to pretty much lacked bass altogether. So try different slots in the back and see which one has the least noise/best sound.

Wow, I found a similar thread! Too bad I never found this when I searched.

I also have the same problem. Abit IP35 Pro, Lian Li PC V2000 Plus II case. I'll try the BIOS trick and if that doesn't work I'll also try assigning one of the ports in the back permamently for a headphone, since I got plenty of stereo extension cables.

Edit: There was no "default" setting in my BIOS, it was already set to HD AUDIO, setting it to AC'97 didn't get rid of the whine either... I might just be buying a new soundcard anyway, stupid proprietary front panel connector on my old Audigy 2 (oem Dell)...

I got a new Antec case and this is annoying the hell out of me. I have a soundblaster xtremegamer, so I have the HD cable connected to it, but the buzzing is kililng me. Any ideas?

Antec seem to be really bad at making front panels. It affects a lot of their cases, my Sonata III, my friends Antec 900, I've heard the P182 has similar problems, they all have shocking front audio. There's threads about it on another forum (can't remember where) where an Antec rep said you can get the front panel replaced, but some people have had issues even after getting it replaced.

I ended up buying an extension cable to plug my phones into the rear outlet.

I have 5.1 speakers going into the rear outlet, but I ordered a 3.5mm splitter to the back to see how it'll work.

I'm surprised that Antec doesnt have any kind of fix for this.

Back