Static discharge / interference issues with my PC

Colonel Sanders

Supreme [H]ardness
I've been dealing with this for WAY too long and I'm kind of perplexed so hopefully someone here can help me out.

When I built the desktop system in my sig last year, I also bought one of these:

k66VllR.jpg

... which is now where I do my gaming. The problem is that (and I'm not sure if this is a case issue, or something caused by the Obutto cockpit, something else entirely etc) my system is EXTREMELY sensitive to static discharges. For example when plugging/unplugging any USB devices, I get the USB disconnect/reconnect sound several times, and even when the connector isn't even plugged in, just touching them, or getting them *near* the port triggers it. Sometimes when I get up and walk away, my monitor clicks off for a second. Yeah, not good obviously.

I just don't understand what's causing it. I've never had issues like this. My thoughts so far:

Computer is on carpeted floor. I've done this before many times with other PCs without issues, but best to give as much info as possible.

Tried running with humidifier but still happens.

Could it be some kind of grounding issue with the Corsair 600T case / how the motherboard is mounted, or a bad ground with something else?

The cloth seat on the Obutto creates some static if I move around a lot in it but usually doesn't seem to do much

Could be some kind of issue caused by the steel tubing with the cockpit? If so can I ground it somehow?

TIA for any help!

Could be a problem at the wall outlet, PSU, Mobo, or USB port.

I would try a different outlet first. Check the pins in those USB ports.

If its static build up, could also try an antistatic office mat for your chair.

Well it's not bent pins or anything like that, I even tried replacing the front panel USB unit in the 600t because I thought that might be defective.

Already tried different outlets and surge protectors (using a nice 3600 joule one right now).

I'll try the anti static mat next.. also would elevating the computer on some kind of stand or table (getting it off the carpet) help a lot?

Back