State Reviewing Massive Computer Meltdown

HardOCP News

[H] News
Having ten percent of your servers go down isn’t so bad, right? Wrong. When that 10% means that the total number of servers offline is over 480, cutting off service to two dozen state agencies (including the DMV) for a week, someone's head is going to roll.... unless you have a $2.3 billion ten year contract that is. :rolleyes:

The computer shutdown is the latest hiccup for the 10-year, $2.3 billion VITA-Northrop Grumman contract, which went into effect in 2005. Earlier this week Virginia Secretary of Technology Jim Duffey called the storage area network malfunction "unprecedented," citing uptime data on the model of EMC server that was involved in the outage.

Don't put all your eggs in one SAN..... No matter how reliable they may be...

Northrop-Grumman can take their Command Point Mobile CAD (Dispatch software for LEOs) and jump in a fire with it. My old department switched over to it and it was a nightmare.

why am I not shocked in the least that it was an EMC array that caused the epic fail. The only thing that would make this even more awesome? If it were an EMC Clarriion array which runs an OS based on Windows.

whats funny, when this happened my manager turned to our director and said " See? I told you it was going to be worth while to buy an Isilon system as opposed to EMC." Glad it wasnt our systems.

How much you want to bet that there was no discernible difference in the efficiency of the DMV during that week? :D

I wish I worked for EMC. If you are out of your service contract, I think they charge around $100 an hour, with a minimum of $1000 service fee. Maybe their techs get commission?

I wish I worked for EMC. If you are out of your service contract, I think they charge around $100 an hour, with a minimum of $1000 service fee. Maybe their techs get commission?

you think that's expensive being out of contract???

$100 / hour is cheap

why am I not shocked in the least that it was an EMC array that caused the epic fail. The only thing that would make this even more awesome? If it were an EMC Clarriion array which runs an OS based on Windows.

Is there any indication this was not an application failure? Is there any indication the OS was Windows? Not so far as I can tell, yet you take a shot at Windows anyway. Really, I'll leave it there before I say something that pisses off the mods...

Thats why the old saying goes.."no one gets fired when they buy IBM" You get what you pay for. Which is why IBM loses sometimes in government (competetive) bids. All they see is the bottom line and not the added value of what is (truly) behind it.

Yes, I bleed blue, but thats besides the point. :cool:

Thats why the old saying goes.."no one gets fired when they buy IBM" You get what you pay for. Which is why IBM loses sometimes in government (competetive) bids. All they see is the bottom line and not the added value of what is (truly) behind it.

Yes, I bleed blue, but thats besides the point. :cool:

Because IBM wasn't responsible for a large bank being offline and unable to do business for a while...

actually I know several EMC folks from Tech's to Engineers to Sales and Prof Svcs.

At EMC you don't make a lot of money unless you're either selling something or have a good cut of the profit sharing. If you're not in one of those boats you're getting screwed paycheck after paycheck. Billed at $300/hr paid maybe $35-40/hr if you're lucky

Back