State of the Homebrew Scene in 2009

Terry Olaes

I Used to be the [H] News Guy
Check out this update on the homebrew scene. Some of you are big supporters of the homebrew world of alternate OSes and emulators on various game consoles and mobile devices so enjoy this update. If you didn’t know this community existed, consider this your introduction. The legalities of this vary drastically depending on the device and purpose of the code so get educated should you decide to try one of these out.

First off though lets remind all that homebrew is not the same as warez. Also I would like to point out that each scene owes its life to the many hardware and software hackers who discover the exploits we come to enjoy so much today, they are then followed by the many worldwide coders who make the homebrew scene a free and enjoyable place to hang out and make friends etc.

Been going to dcemu to read up on my psp for a few years now. Good site with lots of info.

"First off though lets remind all that homebrew is not the same as warez"

I would bet if you asked Sony that they would strongly disagree. Sony was doing everything in their power to not let customers mod their PSP to do with as they please. A lot of the big companies don't like their customers being creative.

"First off though lets remind all that homebrew is not the same as warez"

I would bet if you asked Sony that they would strongly disagree. Sony was doing everything in their power to not let customers mod their PSP to do with as they please. A lot of the big companies don't like their customers being creative.

At the same time, the PS3 has an option to load a different OS via the system menu so it appears to vary by device. Of course, Sony and rational are rarely in step with each other.

At the same time, the PS3 has an option to load a different OS via the system menu so it appears to vary by device. Of course, Sony and rational are rarely in step with each other.
Right, but they don't allow full access to all of the PS3's internals. IIRC, you can't utilize the RSX unit.

Back