State of Decay 2 System Requirements Unveiled

rgMekanic

[H]ard|News
If you haven't had enough of open world survival zombie killing, IGN is reporting that State of Decay 2 will release on May 22nd on PC and Xbox, for a price of $29.99 for the standard version, and $49.99 for the Ultimate Edition that will include the first 2 DLCs.

The game is a Windows Store and Windows 10 64 bit exclusive, and a peek at the Windows Store page gives us the system requirements. Minimum is 8GB of RAM, 2 GB of VRAM, an FX-6300 or i5-2500, and a GTX 780 or HD 7870. The recommended is 16GB of RAM, 4GB of VRAM, an FX-8350 or i5-4570, and a GTX 960 or R9 380. No mention on what resolutions or framerate those specs are shooting for, but the game does run on the Unreal 4 Engine.

I still have not purchased a game from the Windows Store, but the price tag on this one makes it more tempting. They could honestly do a lot more with a few sales from time to time.. I'm looking at you Forza.

Hmmm...I'm just *this* shy of the minimum requirements (i5-2400 vs. i5-2500).

I know! I'll build a whole new computer around a new GPU- oh wait. :p

Last edited:
That's a damn shame that the PC version is a Windows 10 exclusive. I became quite the fan of the original State of Decay, and absolutely would have bought it on day-1 if it had been Windows 7 or PS4 compatible. I would never migrate to Windows 10 just for one game. Especially a game published my Microsoft.

Reactions: WhoMe
like this
That's a damn shame that the PC version is a Windows 10 exclusive. I became quite the fan of the original State of Decay, and absolutely would have bought it on day-1 if it had been Windows 7 or PS4 compatible. I would never migrate to Windows 10 just for one game. Especially a game published my Microsoft.

"Just one game" was something you could say with ease a year ago, but it is starting to be detrimental to the games people want to play.

"Just one game" was something you could say with ease a year ago, but it is starting to be detrimental to the games people want to play.

What I meant by that, is that there is only 1 game that's exclusive to the Windows store that I personally want. I would never speak on behalf of the entire Hardfoum community about how many Windows 10 exclusives they want. I'm just speaking for myself.

Name one non-Microsoft-published or non-VR game that Windows 7 is holding you back on. I'm not saying it won't get replaced, but I just don't see that happening before 2020.

The game is a Windows Store and Windows 10 64 bit exclusive with a few sales from time to time..

Lol, good luck with that.

Microsoft still comically out of touch, still alienating the majority of the windows userbase by locking out 7 and 8.1 while no other digital game store pulls that bullshit.

And it only calcifies the disdain that continues to build for MS from longtime users that are never leaving 7 and 8.1 as long as 10 is a user data collecting, force updated, buggy beta OS in a constant state of flux.

Someone really needs to explain the whole carrot/stick thing to them.

Last edited:
Reactions: WhoMe
like this
Well.. yet another reason not to upgrade the kids machines.. guess there RX 480's and i3 4370 will continue to be enough for 1080p gaming..

Lol, good luck with that.

Microsoft still comically out of touch, still alienating the majority of the windows userbase by locking out 7 and 8.1 while no other digital game store pulls that bullshit.

And it only calcifies the disdain that continues to build for MS from longtime users that are never leaving 7 and 8.1 as long as 10 is a user data collecting, force updated, buggy beta OS in a constant state of flux.

Someone really needs to explain the whole carrot/stick thing to them.

I totally agree it's bullshit to make exclusive game, especially for something that doesn't really even use some feature that's W10 only. You can disable most if not all data collection in W10 but it's a pain. To be fair though, W7 has been collecting data as well maybe not as much as W10 but we will never fully know what they collect. W7 is almost a dead OS so I don't get the desire to stick to it. Though myself I resisted it for a long time and finally pulled the trigger in December to take advantage of expiring free upgrade. I had to tweak and turn off a myriad of things but overall I'm quite happy. I didn't feel it's worth upgrading just for DX12 but it's nice having that for games that benefit from it. At least it can take full advantage of my hardware so I feel it was worth it. I haven't really looked back and finally erased my other bootable disk that had W7 on it.

I totally agree it's bullshit to make exclusive game, especially for something that doesn't really even use some feature that's W10 only.

I just checked the Store and according to it this game will require not only Windows 10 but the latest version of 10, 1803 which hasn't even gone RTM yet.

Whatever the gameplay or issues with exclusivity, you gotta admit....that's one sick logo on the hood.

I could very well see M$ just having this a limited time Win10 exclusive like they did with Killer Instinct on PC. Wait for the sales to drop off, then dump it onto Steam for another surge of sales.

I don't buy a lot on the Windows 10 store, but because of Play Anywhere a lot of my games work there..... So far I have used it for Forza and Phantom Dust.

I've got $50 that this will get cracked for older versions of windows. With UE4 under the hood I even see the community building a linux port.

If it does not used so much RAM and cpu then it would be good game, problably another slow shit game.

Yeah they have no idea what they are doing putting it for sale Windows Store I never played the 1st game but they should of went for a Left for Dead style Zombie game instead of this pick a number realistic Zombie franchise. I just checked Steam and it's nowhere to be found and that is what made the game popular. The publisher is Microsoft Studios so I guess it's a natural Fit =)

Last edited:
Seems Microsoft or the dev (which is Microsoft) has already given this UNRELEASED game 5 stars...... With that said, it does look good. Is this a FPS or 3rd person?

people bitch about no Microsoft exclusive Xbox games and that is why thr Xbox is a failure. They release exclusive games and people bitch that they have an Xbox exclusive game... Sounds about on par with what one would expect.

Reactions: DF-1
like this
Yeah they have no idea what they are doing putting it for sale Windows Store I never played the 1st game but they should of went for a Left for Dead style Zombie game instead of this pick a number realistic Zombie franchise. I just checked Steam and it's nowhere to be found and that is what made the game popular. The publisher is Microsoft Studios so I guess it's a natural Fit =)

All Xbox games released by Microsoft since they introduced the ability are play anywhere titles meaning you can play them on both your Xbox and on Windows 10. Buying the game in one place gives you it on both. They have been doing that for the past year. Not many non Microsft games going that route yet, however all Microsoft games have.

I just checked the Store and according to it this game will require not only Windows 10 but the latest version of 10, 1803 which hasn't even gone RTM yet.

Hmm, wonder if this is due to some kind of in-house DRM or just the usual artifical exclusive thing. Odd strategy as one would think they want to sell as many copies as possible instead of working people to upgrade their platform in order to play the game. Also makes me wonder if a pirated copy will come out with a hack to remove this requirement... I'm sure someone will do it just to pwn them.

I would like to get it but no on Windows Store. I refuse to use that crap. I hope they blame the failure of this game on PC on that decision alone.

I would like to get it but no on Windows Store. I refuse to use that crap. I hope they blame the failure of this game on PC on that decision alone.

now.. dont be silly. the games failure will of course be blamed on piracy

;>)

Back in the day, I was on Windows 2000 until a little game called Company of Heroes came out that would only run on XP. It was good enough to get me to "convert." Just one game. And yes I realize it's not the same thing (or people will say it's not), despite the fact to me XP didn't catch up to 2000 for a power user until probably SP2, but I digress.

Was the first any good? Never got around to trying it.

It was actually really good. There was a lot of room for improvement, though. It's definitely not a AAA game - and the $30 price tag on the sequel reflects that. Still, I enjoyed it despite its flaws, and the only thing I really wanted to see was co-op...which they've added, I believe.

Hmm, wonder if this is due to some kind of in-house DRM or just the usual artifical exclusive thing. Odd strategy as one would think they want to sell as many copies as possible instead of working people to upgrade their platform in order to play the game. Also makes me wonder if a pirated copy will come out with a hack to remove this requirement... I'm sure someone will do it just to pwn them.

This isn't anything new. Recore was the same way and required one of the window 10 main updates that had just released a few weeks before. Don't know why they do that, but this isn't the first game.

I find the system requirements a bit odd on the GPU side.

It says 780 gtx for minimum and a 960 recommended. Isn't the 780 the faster gpu? It also has an extra gb of VRAM.

I would also argue the 380 is only slightly (like 10-15%) faster than a 7870.

the first one was a piece of crap port

when I push S, I want to back away from the zombie weapons forward...not turn my back to it

The first one was janky but I got it for like 10 bucks during a steam sale and was really surprised with how fun it was. I have been waiting for this for a long time. That said, I am not sure my excitement for it will be enough to get me to buy it from the windows store.

By "port" I mean rip the assets and re-implement in UE4. Not hard to do.
I guess that's easier than building a full game from scratch... not so sure about the "not hard to do" part. Is there a long list of AAA titles that have received engine ports that were a piece of cake that I'm unaware of or something?

Back