Starwind VSA HA

danswartz

2[H]4U
So for a couple of weeks now, my home lab has been running a completely HA iSCSI datastore on two ESXi 6.7 hosts. Each one has a starwind VSA on local SSD. The actual files where the datastore resides are a pair of 1TB NVME drives (one on each host.) Each ESXi host sees two paths, one to each target. I have done multiple tests involving killing a VSA on one host, or outright power-cycling a ESXi host, and everything keeps humming along. The replication link between the two hosts is a pair of 50gb melllanox cards, and I'm getting damn good performance. Since this is for home lab use, I got an NFR license. I had a few glitches getting going, but the starwind folks on their forum have been extremely responsive and helpful.

Schmeisser

n00b
Why did you ended up choosing StarWind?
I am building a homelab and deciding what software-defined storage choose for 2-3 hosts.

FLECOM

Modder(ator) & [H]ardest Folder Evar
Staff member
I have a pair of starwind nodes running on hyper-v core, also nfr, works great

danswartz

2[H]4U
Why did you ended up choosing StarWind?
I am building a homelab and deciding what software-defined storage choose for 2-3 hosts.
This was the only plug&play HA solution I could find (especially for two nodes). Everything else either works best with many more nodes than 2, or requires some kind of home-brew setup...

westrock2000

[H]F Junkie
I tried to use Starwind to share an optical drive over the network. I was sooooo lost with all the terms and containers of containers. Did not pursue any further.

SolarBeam

n00b