Starting problems with new hardware

w0w

n00b
A friend of mine recently purchased hardware from newegg to build his own computer. He put everything togehter once to find out his ram slots on his motherboard (biostar) didnt work. So he returned it and got a new one and this time when he put some parts together the computer would not start with the 4-pin (square one) hooked up to the computer. So i told him to hook everything up and it still did not work. So he went out and bought a new gigabyte motherboard and same thing. My question is his parents are getting tired of replacing things so what do u think is the main cause this computer refuses to boot up? Thanks for the help.

Hmm, computer not even turning on at all? Or is this one of those where it doesn't get out of POST?

If it isn't even posting, make sure everything is installed properly (CPU, RAM, video card). Clear the CMOS via the little jumper on the motherboard.

In addition, make sure the power supply is turned on, the monitor is recieving power and turned on, and the monitor is plugged into the video card.

Hmm, beyond that, I'm not sure why it wouldn't turn on...

Are the fans spinning when he pushes the power button?

amd athlon 64 4000
geforce 7600gt
2 gb xms corsair
gigabyte and biostar motherboard
200gb SATA harddrive

Remember that he tried 2 different motherboards and both didnt work and he tried to run it woithout a hard drive and same thing. Any other suggestions and what is the likely cause so he can replace it?

I'm sorry, but for me to be of any further assistance, you'll have to answer my questions that I posted previously.

PSU? what brand? model? max power output?

Have you tried shorting the power pins on the motherboard directly?
This will let you know if it's a wiring issue with the pushbutton or the button itself.

It's unlikely that both motherboards are bad. If it's a bad AGP video card, the system won't POST either. Is it AGP? What models are the motherboards he's tried?

You have to post more information to pinpoint the problem.

It still bothers me to see so many people neglecting the psu. I swear by quality psus. I refuse to help friends who have crappy psus, well, actually, that's usually their problem and I point them to a FSP, Antec or something reputable.

Back