Starting new build

tssgery

n00b
I'm starting a new build... I haven't decided on the Operating System yet... but it'll likely be OpenFiler or WHS.

NewEgg is giving a free MB with the Norco 4220 and I've got an unused Intel Q8200 at home. I'm also sitting on a cache of about 7 or 8 Terabytes of SATA disks that I'll use.

I've got a question regarding hardware though...

Here's is what's in my NewEgg Cart at the moment

2 x SUPERMICRO AOC-SAT2-MV8 64-bit PCI-X133MHz SATA Controller Card
NORCO RPC-4220 4U Rackmount Server Chassis w/ 20 Hot-Swappable SATA/SAS
ASUS P5BV-M LGA 775 Intel 3200 Micro ATX Intel Xeon Server Motherboard
<Some PSU with enough connectors

I'm confused about what cables I'll need to connect the SuperMicro cards to the SATA backplane. Are these just straight SATA cables, or something special?

Well the AOC-SAT2-MV only needs regular SATA cables. If you have a lot of them, use it.

The PCIe version is the AOC-SASLP-MV8 and requires the use of a mini-SAS SFF 8087 cables. As the RPC-4220 uses SFF 8087 connectors anyway, you're better off with this.

Well the AOC-SAT2-MV only needs regular SATA cables. If you have a lot of them, use it.

The PCIe version is the AOC-SASLP-MV8 and requires the use of a mini-SAS SFF 8087 cables. As the RPC-4220 uses SFF 8087 connectors anyway, you're better off with this.

Thanks for that. So, excusing my ignorance again...

I would then need 4 "Mini SAS x4 (SFF-8087) to x4 (SFF-8087) Mini SAS" cables, like the ones here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...6103195&cm_re=sff_8087-_-16-103-195-_-Product

That would suffice for 16 or the 20 bays. correct?

Thanks for that. So, excusing my ignorance again...

I would then need 4 "Mini SAS x4 (SFF-8087) to x4 (SFF-8087) Mini SAS" cables, like the ones here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...6103195&cm_re=sff_8087-_-16-103-195-_-Product

That would suffice for 16 or the 20 bays. correct?

Those are a bit pricey... Go with these and you save a few bucks:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...6133034&cm_re=SFF-8087-_-16-133-034-_-Product

same type of cable and length...

Yes, those cables are correct (Although very pricey). Also, I would probably grab an equivilent Supermicro or Tyan board; they tend to be better supported.

The Asus board the OP is talking about is included for free with the 4220 from Newegg. Not a bad board, I've got the ATX version in the P5BV/SAS in my WHS. The board is solid, though I'm getting tired of the built-in LSI 1068E RAID HBA. It works, but I'm ready to move up to a "real" controller from the likes or Areca, etc.

The Asus board the OP is talking about is included for free with the 4220 from Newegg. Not a bad board, I've got the ATX version in the P5BV/SAS in my WHS. The board is solid, though I'm getting tired of the built-in LSI 1068E RAID HBA. It works, but I'm ready to move up to a "real" controller from the likes or Areca, etc.

If its free thats a different matter ;)

Back